Rate our January transfer window

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Entirely depends on how good Doumbia is, tbh.

Nope, can't do retrospectives like that, got to nail your nuts to the mast now.

Clearly you haven't looked at my avatar. It's a beige transfer window... if we get relegated, tell my wife hello.

If he comes good it'll represent sheer good luck. He's an aging cast-off with a very poor record at international and top club level. Nothing to suggest he'll succeed in the PL.

If he comes good it'll represent sheer good luck. He's an aging cast-off with a very poor record at international and top club level. Nothing to suggest he'll succeed in the PL.

In fairness he does have a good CL record and hasn't had many games in a top league either way, i do agree though.

You build from the back and are only as good as your defence. Ours is still shit. Can't say it's been a good window at all.

Precisely.

Can't help thinking we've just signed our relegation death warrant.

It's a 5/10 window for me.  We've addressed midfield balance and quality, while also adding to striking options.  Our defence though, one of the worst in the division has not been addressed.  We can only hope that the improved midfield takes some pressure off the defence and better protects it, but it won't solve the total lack of quality we have in that area.

The defence wasn't the main reason we were leaking goals, the midfield was.

Funnily enough a similar situation to the relegation season; it was the Kev and Nicky masterclasses in the centre of the park that was a large part of why we leaked so many goals. Coloccini was pretty shite then too, but once again the defence was horribly exposed.

2/5 tbh, even with the numbers in. They feel like gambles. Everything does, all the time. Jesus.

The defence wasn't the main reason we were leaking goals, the midfield was.

Well, the whole thing was shit all over. Steve & co - I hope beyond hope he had a token say as board member - picked which spots to prioritize. CB and LB just weren't high on that list, for reasons unclear. Now we'll see how that pans out.

If he comes good it won't have anything to do with luck at all.

ageing?  he's 28 isn't he :lol:

7.  We could have got a LB but we missed out.  I didnt feel good to have Saivet playing in center too but luckily Tiote stayed. 

I know I am minority here but I am satisfied even if we didnt get Berahino.  Not only because I dont rate him that high, I also think Doumbia is good enough and Mitrovic deserves more chance.  If we do sign Berahino one of Mitrovic or Perez has to go for not enough playing times.

Probably a 6.5/10

Positives

Signed one player that is guaranteed to improve our best 11 (Shelvey)

(Few players who could potentially fit into our best 11 but at the very least add depth/options (Townsend, Doumbia, Saivet)

Extensions of loans for Armstrong and Bigi, plus Satka is out on loan.

Williamson and Fergie gone.

No significant losses.

Some English players signed

Negatives

Didn't shift much junk (though I am always confused with windows, can we still loan out players like Gouffran and Riviere to other clubs?)

No improvements to a pretty suspect defence (no convincing left backs plus none are fit at the moment, plus if Janmaat gets injured we are screwed)

Still unsure what type of football we want to play, Doumbia doesn't seem suited to what we are doing at the moment.

Finding success (and subsequently staying up) in a loanee who has no track record of scoring goals at any decent level in his late 20s instead of going out there and signing a proven goalscorer is just about the definition of luck. We're relying on pure chance.

Just about ok. Happy enough with Shelvey and Townsend, not sure about Saivet. Doumbia obviously an unknown quantity,but this time someone was brought in instead of being left with no fucker when our main targets fail to materialise with depressing inevitability. A back to form Tiote can have a big part in our survival, 5/10

I'm stunned at how easy our fans have lapped up some cash being spent based on this poll. 86% are Ok or more with our signings! Incredible given we haven't fixed our core issues and we failed to land our top targets up front.

Honestly we deserve what we get at times. People best not complain when we still can't win games as nobody can finish and goals are still being leaked in. We've rolled the dice on staying up over buying what we needed to do it in full.

Pro: The potential of how Doumbia & Mitrovic work together.

Con: The likelihood we'll start with one or the other more often than not with the other being replaced on 60/70 minutes.

So following that logic throughout the team it's basically con = Steve McClaren then?

About right, we'd not be in this much of a mess with a better manager anyway.

Hopefully just enough, which really isn`t how I was hoping to watch the rest of the season, uncertain that we will stay up. If we were 9 or 12 points better off I think this would have been an excellent window. Current position not quite good enough, just like every performance this season.

Con: The likelihood we'll start with one or the other more often than not with the other being replaced on 60/70 minutes.

So following that logic throughout the team it's basically con = Steve McClaren then?

He has to fit Townsend, Perez, Mitrovic, Doumbia & Sissoko into three. Will be interesting to see how he lines up. Will Shelvey & Wijnaldum work as a two? It'll likely be Shelvey plus one of Colback & Saivet realistically. Not sure how we'll line up.

He has to fit Townsend, Perez, Mitrovic, Doumbia & Sissoko into three. Will be interesting to see how he lines up. Will Shelvey & Wijnaldum work as a two? It'll likely be Shelvey plus one of Colback & Saivet realistically. Not sure how we'll line up.

He'll get it wrong, he always gets it wrong.

I think he'll keep it similar for now with Doumbia as a sub for Mitro and Perez/Townsend rotating somehow though I do feel he'll drop Ayoze.

He'd be may to play anything other than Saivet and Shelvey as a two in CM imo, make the changes elsewhere and be a bit more positive so we can attack teams.