sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

According to the Mackems, all their players have relegation clauses in their contracts so they are not in as bad shape as we believe, Not sure what their source is for that however and if you are signing for Sunderland are you really going to accept a clause like that, it's always likely to happen.

There was a newspaper report recently that said all players except Rodwell? and one other, have that clause in place - it's 40% drop apparently.

Which will be a drop in the ocean compared to the loss in PL money. So they are still in horrific shape.

Since it seems to be true then can see them slashing their wage bill to easily manageable levels. Say 20 million of that money was tied up in loanees and players whose contracts are up. Take 40% off 60 million, leaves them with a pretty respectable 36 million wage bill. Problem is however they've got to replace all those players and their matchday income is so low they are solely reliant on the parachute payments to keep solvent. But it's hard to imagine that they are in any immediate danger, after they just pocketed 94 million and of course will soon add 40 million from the sale of the best young talent in the world.

Sunderland's £93.5m for finishing last in the Premier League is more than Juventus, Bayern or Monaco get for winning  Serie A, BL and Ligue 1.

How the fuck do they still manage to lose money?

Sunderland's £93.5m for finishing last in the Premier League is more than Juventus, Bayern or Monaco get for winning  Serie A, BL and Ligue 1.

How the f*** do they still manage to lose money?

8th highest wage bill in the country, 22nd highest in World football and the Premier League Prize money/TV revenue is their only real source of income because they let most of the fans in for nowt.

I'd imagine that those with the relegation clauses are desparately trying to find another club to avoid the drop in wage. Most of them will find that bloody hard and unless they put in a good promotion incentive they'll have some very moody players on their hands. They need to get a squad together with a splattering of good Championship players. The relegation clauses are obviously good for them financially.

I have to say that if I was a manager and a player said they'd accept a relegation clauses that I'd think more than twice about signing him.

Ferguson still has a massive chip on his shoulder over them doing the poznan, wouldn't surprise me if he advised Giggs against it based on that.

Wouldn't be surprised if Old Red Nose told him to take the job for exactly the same reason

Guest chicken little

Ferguson still has a massive chip on his shoulder over them doing the poznan, wouldn't surprise me if he advised Giggs against it based on that.

not the fact that they're skint and long-term fucked?

They always seem to hoover up ex Man Utd players in a playing or coaching role. 

Surprised they don't make a song and dance about how they're football friends or whatever with Man Utd

It's wonderful that they haven't sorted this yet.  Every day that passes by without an appointment is a day less for that appointment to get Sunderland ready for the start of next season.  They need to make a lot of signings, embed those signings into a tactical philosophy and set-up all the basic systems that operate on a week by week basis. 

We went into our Championship season with Rafa, full steam ahead.  He signed players early, sold those who didn't fit, arranged preseason and embedded our approach.  He had achieved so much by this point already.

For every day that Sunderland don't appoint, their task gets ever increasingly tougher.

It certainly won't help them. I'd have thought they'd have their man by now, unless the situation is more desperate than first thought and they're struggling even to attract 3rd rate managers.

9 weeks until the season starts

About 3-4 weeks til their pre-eason training starts.

Utterly baffling that they haven't appointed anyone yet.....my guess is that Short is absolutely desperate to sell, and is talking to interested parties. Like others have said, every day they do nothing, next season becomes just that little bit more difficult.

Which is nice.

I remember when we eventually appointed Jim Smith - the papers were linking us with all sorts of weird options  - who apparently said no. People like David Hay, for example.

This feels a bit like that.

You've got a good memory. Tried to forget about the Bald Eagle era.

His doctors said he was terminal last year. I know a 6 year old who died of a brain tumor he had since 2 years old. 4 years of living in hospitals, operation after operation, fed through a tube, chemo and "hope". Terrible for the family but he'd have been better off dying at 2 rather than having those 4 years of "life".