Martins on fire!

Dinho lad

Actually, depsite two well taken goals, i thought his general play was extremely frustrating.

Aye same here mate.

The debate is whether that matters if he's doing his job which is scoring goals. What does Owen contribute other than goals?

Actually, depsite two well taken goals, i thought his general play was extremely frustrating.

Aye same here mate.

The debate is whether it matters if he's doing his job which is scoring goals. What does Owen contribute other than goals?

I'm not criticising his goals, think he's starting to show what he's all about as I'm one of his biggest fans, all we said was his general play was poor.

The difference is Owen doesn't try and link up the play etc where as Oba does.

Aye same here mate.

The debate is whether it matters if he's doing his job which is scoring goals. What does Owen contribute other than goals?

It doesn't bode well for their partnership, though.

I do think Martins has the potential to do very well here; however, two goals shouldn't make the performance exempt from criticism

I see Martins as more of a creator in the Rooney/Bellamy mould making openings with his power/pace. Which will benifit Owen when he comes back to be the natural goalscorer he always has been.

Can't wait!

Martins did everything he could in the game today. Good control, good turn of pace and two very well taken goals, without him and steven taylor we would have lost today. It baffles me that anyone could critise todays performance, he played very well IMO.

He needs to work on playing through balls earlier.  Our inability to cross really lead to the attack being very directed through the center, but the combonations of Dyer, Emre, Sibierski, Martins, and sometimes Butt (Why the hell was he trying to dictate play so much?) were just a little bit off.  There were multiple chances for one of them to be played in for a one on one with the keeper, but they didn't come to anything. 

Nobby should be our captain by the way

Spot on, brother.

I've been saying this (shouting it actually) for some time.

said the same before Parker was made Captain. People say he is too soft, but you don't grow up in the favelas of south america without coming out as a tough character. in his interviews he always comes out as a very strong person.

as for Martins, i think he had a good all-round game actually. his off the ball movement has came on leaps and bounds since he signed, he was moving out to the flanks regularly today. he also showed good awareness to stay back and free of markers when duff was looking for an outlet on the left. still a bit raw but he is young and getting better. for one through ball to dyer he took a tad too long, perhaps he thought dyer was straying offside.

Guest ruskieray

....two goals shouldn't make the performance exempt from criticism

He won us the match today. I couldn't care less if he was eating meat pies for 85 minutes as long as he wins us games. Gold star mate. We can always criticise and there are never enough hospitals, such is life, but keep scoring goals and winning us matches and I will ask for no more and make no criticisms.

Yes agreed, Nobby for captain.

If he keeps scoring goals in games then the rest of his game can be poor because we need someone to put it in the net from open play and thats what he is doing, winning us vital games. It's when the goals dry up then the problem starts for me.

Martins was crap apart from his goals today. But, he still was involved a lot, which is something Owen usually isn't.

5 goals in 4 games, impressive! :D

How many times did Shearer play shite and score btw?

Martins did what hes there for and scored goals,he will only get better imo.

If Martins was crap how would you descripe Sibs performance? Yep...Martins got too deep to the get ball but he had to do that as the midfield really seemed unable to deliver it. Le Sib hardly won a single header during the whole game and in general his performce was absolute crap.

Martins was crap apart from his goals today. But, he still was involved a lot, which is something Owen usually isn't.

I can live with him playing badly if he scores 2 goals and wins us the game. As I'm sure you can. Decent teams and players can play badly and still score and win.

Who gives a flying fuck if his all around game is not perfect yet? He's a young lad and he's doing the most important and hardest thing of all the things you have to do on the pitch which is score goals. As far as i am concerned he could stay here for 10 years and play like that if he banged in 2 goals a game. Strikers job?=Score goals. Job done.

Guest TheOrder

People were complaining not so long ago, that Oba was thouroughly involved in the game, but had no end product. Today he wasn't in the game completly, but banged two goals in

Who gives a flying fuck if his all around game is not perfect yet? He's a young lad and he's doing the most important and hardest thing of all the things you have to do on the pitch which is score goals. As far as i am concerned he could stay here for 10 years and play like that if he banged in 2 goals a game. Strikers job?=Score goals. Job done.

Agreed.

I remember this moaning old git who used to sit beside me in the Milburn who always got on Andy Cole's case. He once uttered the line "He's a right lazy cunt that Cole, all he does is score goals".  :lol:

I can live with him playing badly if he scores 2 goals and wins us the game. As I'm sure you can. Decent teams and players can play badly and still score and win.

Of course. I wasn't criticizing his performance, it is really impressive that he scored two goals when he had, IMHO, an off-day. :D

Guest DONTOONER

Whoever that said Martins :lol: is not two footed...well he proved you wrong today

His power in his shooting never fails to amaze me. Even if the keeper got a hand to them i reckon they might still go in.

Whoever that said Martins :lol: is not two footed...well he proved you wrong today

His power in his shooting never fails to amaze me. Even if the keeper got a hand to them i reckon they might still go in.

One of the most two footed players I have ever seen, don't understand people that say he isn't!

Also people moaned how he wasnt a goalscorer and now thats all he is apparently  :lol: