Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I have to say too, it's refreshing to see a top class manager take on a proper challenge. Benitez has won the biggest prize of them all and managed some of the most successful teams of all time. You wouldn't see Pep or Mourinho take on a side in the bottom 3 on a long term project. It's good to see this.

True, hopefully it's more that than just being desperate for work.

Guest Roger Kint

I have to say too, it's refreshing to see a top class manager take on a proper challenge. Benitez has won the biggest prize of them all and managed some of the most successful teams of all time. You wouldn't see Pep or Mourinho take on a side in the bottom 3 on a long term project. It's good to see this.

:thup:

Fwiw, I'm hearing that it's a done deal - McClaren has been sacked and Rafa is in on a 10 game deal which will be automatically extended to 3 years if we stay up. If we go down, both sides have an option to walk away. Same source who told me to lump money on Rafa yesterday morning.

£1,250 come at me :snod:

Imagine he isnt in before Leicester? You would have to wait to see if we stay up to get paid :lol:

They'll pay up if anyone is confirmed as "manager", so for 10 games, 9 or 8 then they'll still pay it up.

The 10 game thing only refers to caretaker managers like.

:thup:

I've got loads of respect for him for coming to this absolute disgrace of a club. :lol:

I'm not surprised in that we are potentially a huge club and that Rafa obviously wants to be back in the Premier, but I am surprised that he would come to a club so far off getting into the CL which is where he's practically lived for the past 10 years.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2zje2wk.jpg

Is that sympathetic tap??

Nah, it's the "I've played prison COs on literally hundreds of naff straight-to-DVD independent movies, don't make a scene or make this harder than it has to be" tap.

In fairness, it's not really the same. He does deserve respect for it but that CL success came a long time ago and he's had mixed results since then. Not like he's come off winning a league title like Mourinho ( i know they were shite this year but they won the league the year before) or Guardiola have. If he had i doubt he'd be taking this job on, still shocked that he is mind.

I reckon Jose would have the bollocks to take on a challenge. Maybe not one this big but I could have seen him trying to win the league at Liverpool or summit.

Jose has said in the past that he would fancy Newcastle as a challenge, but he'd want shitloads to spend. I'm not sure Rafa will be much different like.

In fairness, it's not really the same. He does deserve respect for it but that CL success came a long time ago and he's had mixed results since then. Not like he's come off winning a league title like Mourinho ( i know they were shite this year but they won the league the year before) or Guardiola have. If he had i doubt he'd be taking this job on, still shocked that he is mind.

While I can see where you're coming from, I don't think his quality was ever in doubt though. With the exception of Inter (who were fucking shite when he took over), he has a great win percentage at each club. He was sacked when he was 2 points behind Barca at Madrid. He came third and won the Europa League with Chelsea despite shitty abuse from the shittiest fans in the country. At Napoli he won the Coppa Italia and qualified for the CL.

I hated him at Liverpool like. Rivarly and all that.

In fairness, it's not really the same. He does deserve respect for it but that CL success came a long time ago and he's had mixed results since then. Not like he's come off winning a league title like Mourinho ( i know they were s**** this year but they won the league the year before) or Guardiola have. If he had i doubt he'd be taking this job on, still shocked that he is mind.

While I can see where you're coming from, I don't think his quality was ever in doubt though. With the exception of Inter (who were f***ing s**** when he took over), he has a great win percentage at each club. He was sacked when he was 2 points behind Barca at Madrid. He came third and won the Europa League with Chelsea despite shitty abuse from the shittiest fans in the country. At Napoli he won the Coppa Italia and qualified for the CL.

I hated him at Liverpool like. Rivarly and all that.

Aye i agree, just that Guardiola and Mourinho might look at it differently like he has if their success begins to stop. Obviously they never will as their get the best jobs money can buy regardless. So to me it's not really a fair comparison, he's still severely dropping down mind.

IMO he was definitely treated unfairly at Chelsea and Madrid, although I've learned to not tell other fans what to think of their manager*.

* - except Palace fans

They'll be better people for it in the end, even if they can't see it now.