Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Love all the logic and thought flying around this thread.

Unfortunately we probably wouldn't even be in this position if we had a ownership/management that took the logical option :(

Gazette reporting that the club are planning on doing everything they can to keep him if we go down.

I have my doubts.

The worst part about that article are words like "considering" and "impressed" like they are still fucking pondering if keeping a world class manager is a good idea and that they are impressed or surprised in the manner in which he's going about trying to keep this club up.

There isn't another answer here, the solution is hire Rafa long-term, give him whatever he wants, and let him rebuild the club. He says he wants X staff or this rebuilt or that scout or etc. they go and get it fucking done.

To be honest, if Rafa was locked on to stay and he had the authority within the club that he wants, I would be satisfied to be relegated.  It would give Rafa the time to clear the club out with the reduced pressure of lowered expectations and to ensure that when we finally return to the Premier League we would be doing so with a well run club, a winning attitude, and a squad of players who are desperate to perform well for their manager, their club, and their supporters.

To be honest, if Rafa was locked on to stay and he had the authority within the club that he wants, I would be satisfied to be relegated.  It would give Rafa the time to clear the club out with the reduced pressure of lowered expectations and to ensure that when we finally return to the Premier League we would be doing so with a well run club, a winning attitude, and a squad of players who are desperate to perform well for their manager, their club, and their supporters.

Right now the one and only thing i'm actually looking forward to if we go down, is seeing Adam Armstrong playing up top for us in the Championship. If we stay up i don't think he'll play much and be loaned out again (no bad thing to be fair getting game time).

It'll just be nice to see him scoring for us and hopefully becoming a top player.

Same, if we knew Rafa was staying I wouldn't really care about going down.

same.

A season in the Championship could be the making of Mitrovic too if Rafa's at the helm.

In a "thinking too much" mode, but I thought that a lot of the quotes from "an associate of the Spaniard" in George Caulkin's article led me to think he wants to stay. The sorts of things about poor recruitment and wanting to get the club to the Champions League level don't sound like a man about to leave. He wants to reform the club, top to bottom, and I think he wants to do that whether we stay up or go down.

Additionally, he made it obvious he wants a project in England - well, fixing NUFC has to be close to the biggest project in England.

All we can hope for is that Ashley has had his hands burnt so badly he says "Fine Rafa, you make it work."

He got the starting 11 right and his substitutions made the difference when we looked as if we were on the ropes, the man is a genius.

I wasn't sure about the Shelvey one, but Tiote was  on a yellow so he was probably the only logical replacement.