Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Page 87 is when he was confirmed as manager - great read after it!

I've said it numerous times but as long as Ashley doesn't balls this up (and I'm convinced that he won't..........!), then this legend will win us a trophy!

I've seen comments from Sunderland fans about Rafa being poached :lol:

Rafa joined us at the perfect time. The threat of him being poached is practically nil. He has been at most of the top leagues and top clubs and been messed about and interfered with. He now has total control here and can build up a club that has the potential to be right up there.

Beautiful situation.

The press will be next, we're not allowed nice things. I'm not worried, like, he's NUFC now until something drastic happens.

One of these things is not like the others,

One of these things just doesn't belong,

Can you tell which thing is not like the others

By the time I finish my song?

http://i.imgur.com/l3HmBpA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/r3mYYUR.jpg http://i.imgur.com/5xTW6Rc.jpg http://i.imgur.com/eyb0IjC.jpg

Can you even believe it?  It's like going from 3am last chancers to a supermodel. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Am I the only one that doesn't rate him or think that he's the sort of character to make a enough of an immediate difference?

http://replygif.net/i/1426.gif

See a few posts above.

On the subject of stats, the stats articles I've read suggest that set-pieces are generally underutilized and are easiest way to turn around an underperforming team. We obviously been scoring a lot of them recently, and have just shut out QPR who at kickoff had been the second or third most successful team from them. I wouldn't be surprised if this has been an early focus for Rafa, and that the team will score a higher percentage from open play in the coming months due to the longer time taken for any work there to bear fruit.

One context in which I saw the "profit from set-pieces" idea was mentioned was a partial justification for Allardyce as England manager. Personally I think he is a joke and the epitome of the "proper footballing man" dullard mentality that blights English football, but his teams do have a historic record of doing well from set plays. I don't like it, but getting a bunch of players who don't play together that often to score from more corners is probably going to be a more achievable objective than getting them to be more incisive and open teams up. England are a "quarter-finals if we are lucky" level team, so the bar is not very high.

It's clear alot of work has gone into set pieces, but at the same time it looks to me like much of it has simply been down to Ritchie (and now Shelvey) delivering decent-to-good balls into the right areas at the right time consistently. They're not whipping the ball in particularly well at pace, but just getting enough bend into the right areas (without floating it too much) to give our big lads a chance. Makes such a big difference when the rest of the team know that 7 or 8 times out of 10 they'll have a chance of attacking the ball, when previously our corner takers were hitting the ball terribly with no timing the vast majority of the time. In fact, we've gone for quite a long time since we last had players capable of putting e.g. decent corners in consistently (probably back to Nobby/Robert). Even Cabaye oddly enough was more "miss" than "hit" when it came to them.

Am I the only one that doesn't rate him or think that he's the sort of character to make a enough of an immediate difference?

http://replygif.net/i/1426.gif

See a few posts above.

I was fully cognizant of the time stamp and context. And made the post anyway.

The away form is nothing new to NUFC apparently it was his forte at Liverpool too. It strikes at being an excellent coach because he is able to spot where things are going wrong or could be improved upon during 45 mins of football. The guy is just a top shelf coach, in many ways us getting relegated has probably more of a positive impact on us than we immediately thought. Having to beg him to come back and forced to give him full control can only benefit the club in the long term. I wonder if he would have been given the same amount of control had we stay afloat.

Never been a time like it for me. Keegan was different in that it was an emotional high and something that will never be topped, he just fit. SBR was the same if slightly less giddy. Rafa is different though in that it's the first time I've ever seen such a master tactician at this club, one of the all time great managers and he's here. I almost feel pity for the opposition because you know that as the game unfolds he will dismantle them with a tweak here or a sub there. Honestly, usually I think I know more about the game than some of the managers we've employed, but I'm in awe of Rafa. I'll actually be surprised if by the time he leaves we haven't won a major trophy unless he falls out with the hierarchy.

The only thing that bothers me this, Ashley would be f***ing stupid to do anything but we've seen him screw over managers like Keegan and Hughton, I just hope this time is different and that Rafa gets the chance to leave his legacy on our cloob.

The only cloud I see on the horizon is Rafa's ambition. I've no doubt Ashley is desperate to keep him right now, he's basically given him a free licence to run the club from top to bottom. But when we are back in the premier, Rafa will want to win trophies and that will mean buying the best players like we used to back in Keegan's day. That will be the acid test.

Agree totally - Rafa will want to push on and win things...that takes big money and big wages. Our best hope is that he and Ashley come to a reasonable compromise on the spend for new players - if not, it will all fall apart and Rafa will be gone.

On the subject of stats, the stats articles I've read suggest that set-pieces are generally underutilized and are easiest way to turn around an underperforming team. We obviously been scoring a lot of them recently, and have just shut out QPR who at kickoff had been the second or third most successful team from them. I wouldn't be surprised if this has been an early focus for Rafa, and that the team will score a higher percentage from open play in the coming months due to the longer time taken for any work there to bear fruit.

One context in which I saw the "profit from set-pieces" idea was mentioned was a partial justification for Allardyce as England manager. Personally I think he is a joke and the epitome of the "proper footballing man" dullard mentality that blights English football, but his teams do have a historic record of doing well from set plays. I don't like it, but getting a bunch of players who don't play together that often to score from more corners is probably going to be a more achievable objective than getting them to be more incisive and open teams up. England are a "quarter-finals if we are lucky" level team, so the bar is not very high.

It's clear alot of work has gone into set pieces, but at the same time it looks to me like much of it has simply been down to Ritchie (and now Shelvey) delivering decent-to-good balls into the right areas at the right time consistently. They're not whipping the ball in particularly well at pace, but just getting enough bend into the right areas (without floating it too much) to give our big lads a chance. Makes such a big difference when the rest of the team know that 7 or 8 times out of 10 they'll have a chance of attacking the ball, when previously our corner takers were hitting the ball terribly with no timing the vast majority of the time. In fact, we've gone for quite a long time since we last had players capable of putting e.g. decent corners in consistently (probably back to Nobby/Robert). Even Cabaye oddly enough was more "miss" than "hit" when it came to them.

We've also now got the lads in the air for it.

For a long time we had:

Colo, Mbemba/Willo, Cisse, Haidara in the box.

We can now choose from:

Lascelles, Clark, Hanley, Dummett & Mitro

We are simply much stronger in the air as well.

Pardew evidently knows nothing about set-pieces. But Palace are a danger from them simply because they've got the right type of lads in the box.

We've also now got the lads in the air for it.

For a long time we had:

Colo, Mbemba/Willo, Cisse, Haidara in the box.

We can now choose from:

Lascelles, Clark, Hanley, Dummett & Mitro

We are simply much stronger in the air as well.

Pardew evidently knows nothing about set-pieces. But Palace are a danger from them simply because they've got the right type of lads in the box.

convinced palace lived off the tony pulis set piece coaching for a while under pardew.

As much fun as this season is turning out now, I'd have loved to have seen what he'd have been able to do in the Premier League with Townsend, Wijnaldum and Sissoko behind a striker once he'd got hold of them fully.

Agreed. I think we saw glimpses of it in the final game against Spurs. If we go up he'll be looking to buy those sort of players again, but this time they won't be tainted by association with Pardew and Carver.

Getting ripped for being right. Only on N-O

:lol: imma go ahead and explain how this works. Quote taken out of context, looks terrible, umbrage umbrage. It's a piss take. You're the only person who'd be like "Well actually um no I was right, I'll just have everyone know I was right."