Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest Howaythetoon

Neesy makes valid points and it is a genuine concern us dominating yet not hurting teams more. Rafa needs to play two up top and to sort CM out. Its not exactly costing us big time, but it is curtailing us all the same. Play Mitrovic and Gayle up top and go for the jugglers and we p*ss this league. We are the equivalent of shopping in an expensive shop, with a wad full of money, but fannying on as to what to buy exactly. Buy, spend. Leave. In short get it f***ing sorted man!

Why does a team that's the top scorers in the division, averaging 2 goals a game, need to play 2 strikers?

Why did KK sign Shearer when we had Ferdinand...

It's about improving and developing further and two up front would suit our play better and yield us better returns on our dominance and possession.

I'm not at all convinced it'd help improve us. We've played some absolutely cracking football this season, someone even put up a YT with all of our attacking moves and we're worlds apart from anything since Bobby. But we're also solid, I think Rafa knows we're not individually excellent at the defensive side of the game and has planned accordingly (with next year in mind). 

How many games are you basing our possessiong game on, btw? Didn't you see Brentford, Norwich, Ipswich etc.? We've absolutely cut some teams apart, but we're not always going to play like that. Rafa, I think, knew Forest were decent on the counter with their wing backs so opted for something to work holes in their back 5. That seems to be his thing for away games, controlling the tempo above all else, and it's worked an absolute charm.

We do play some good football, but we are not very attacking in the final 3rd despite huge amounts of possession and I genuinely feel some of our key players are underused somewhat in Rafa's system.

Ritchie for example sent in a few good crosses the other night, but there was nothing in there so they didn't come off. You could look at that and think he shouldn't be sending them in, but that's his game or should be.

Stick an extra striker in there and we could get all kinds of joy from having a Ritchie in our side. At current he's basically a hard working wide man and he's much better than that. He has admitted himsel recently he hasn't been happy with how he has played. Some of that is down to the system.

Shelvey and Hayden pretty much play on top of the defence and Gayle can be left isolated as a result. Perez as the so-called number 10 should be making things work better in that regard, but he's not a 10 and if he was, its not working effectively.

We are kind of like the 5th placed Pardew team in that we are winning and doing well, but its not entirely convincing. Not to the eye anyway on critical analysis.

Furthermore, and this seems lost on people analysing Rafa's tactics. Rafa prepares the team based on how the opposition play. We are tailored to combat how the opposition are set up etc. Trouble is, for example Forest when they took to the field against us played totally different to how they have all season against other teams. They were shit scared of us and conceded possession, territory etc. Even with 10 men they sat back and we dominated.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we are just not flexible and seem resigned to playing a certain way regardless when I personally feel, in this division, if we just threw the kitchen sink at teams especially at home, results like Wolves, Huddersfield and Blackburn just wouldn't happen.

Sorry, but losing to such dross at home, is kind of unacceptable. That is if you want to win the league.

I'm going to be hard on Rafa's Championship Newcastle because we have one of the best managers in world football, 52K fans almost every home game, sides that are shit scared of us and have a team that really should be more than a mere point or two ahead of Brighton.

I'm in two minds about going 4-4-2.

Short term it'd improve us, I'm convinced of it. However, by persisting with the current system Rafa will ensure that next year when we're (hopefully) in the Premiership our squad will be fully comfortable with the style and system Rafa wants them to play.

It's frustrating at the moment, no doubt. Probably the sensible thing in the long term though. Absolute priority next summer has to be getting the best #10 we can attract, the system will look much better when we have that and a better option on the left than Gouffran.

Exactly how I feel. :thup:

Short term it'd improve us, I'm convinced of it. However, by persisting with the current system Rafa will ensure that next year when we're (hopefully) in the Premiership our squad will be fully comfortable with the style and system Rafa wants them to play.

It's frustrating at the moment, no doubt. Probably the sensible thing in the long term though. Absolute priority next summer has to be getting the best #10 we can attract, the system will look much better when we have that and a better option on the left than Gouffran.

same, though i'd add we need to upgrade gayle as well as just get a new #10

Yep. As much as I like gayle, we'll need a better centre forward should we go up.

Yep. As much as I like gayle, we'll need a better centre forward should we go up.

keep gayle as backup for that spot probably with armstrong, sell mitro and buy a top quality (within reason) mobile striker who gets down the channels and has decent pace

add a canny #10 to that and a better midfielder than colback and we'll be golden considering how good rafa obviously is

Kid Icarus and HandsDownHisPants, and others seem very adamant that Rafa will never play two-strikers/4-4-2. Whilst, I tend to believe what people do rather than what they say, this interview by Ian Holloway in August is worth a re-watch. Basically, he says he expects the players to know one system really well, but will play others, if indicated/to fit in key players (that's my reading anyway). Relevant bit about formations is about half-way through.

Kid Icarus and HandsDownHisPants, and others seem very adamant that Rafa will never play two-strikers/4-4-2. Whilst, I tend to believe what people do rather than what they say, this interview by Ian Holloway in August is worth a re-watch. Basically, he says he expects the players to know one system really well, but will play others, if indicated/to fit in key players (that's my reading anyway). Relevant bit about formations is about half-way through.

Err, I've never said this like :lol:

He literally said a week or so ago that he was wanting to try Mitrovic out with Gayle. My issue, if I've got one, would be people saying he's too reserved and that we'd be blowing teams out the water if we switched to 4-4-2. This despite us being top of the league and the league's highest scorers playing the system that Rafa's played since Valencia (?)

It's always worked for him and if he thinks it's what we're best playing with at the moment I'm not going to argue.

Armstrong should be out on loan again if we go up. No way should he be in a PL squad yet.

the reason i mentioned armstrong was that if we sold mitro and splashed on a top quality gayle upgrade with gayle as backup we'd still need a 3rd striker in reserve, suppose riviere might come back :lol:

Armstrong should be out on loan again if we go up. No way should he be in a PL squad yet.

the reason i mentioned armstrong was that if we sold mitro and splashed on a top quality gayle upgrade with gayle as backup we'd still need a 3rd striker in reserve, suppose riviere might come back :lol:

Buy another one. Armstrong can't be third choice.

the reason i mentioned armstrong was that if we sold mitro and splashed on a top quality gayle upgrade with gayle as backup we'd still need a 3rd striker in reserve, suppose riviere might come back [emoji38]

Buy another one. Armstrong can't be third choice.

Hm. Playing 1 up top it'll be a struggle keeping 3 happy tbph, maybe look for a Gouffran replacement that can play up top if necessary.

Cant ever see Armstrong being good enough for PL personally.

I actually agree with this.

Same here. Hope I am proved wrong to be honest but I can't see it.

Err, I've never said this like :lol:

He literally said a week or so ago that he was wanting to try Mitrovic out with Gayle. My issue, if I've got one, would be people saying he's too reserved and that we'd be blowing teams out the water if we switched to 4-4-2. This despite us being top of the league and the league's highest scorers playing the system that Rafa's played since Valencia (?)

It's always worked for him and if he thinks it's what we're best playing with at the moment I'm not going to argue.

I'm sick of hearing people go on about wanting us to play 2 up front despite us being top of the league and been on 9 game winning runs people want us to totally forget the way we've played all season and change the formation. Mental.

People on here love running down young players without giving them a chance

Or perhaps they just realise when a player maybe won't make it at the top level rather than just having blind hope because he "a local lad"?

Or perhaps they just realise when a player maybe won't make it at the top level rather than just having blind hope because he "a local lad"?

Aye, "blind hope" in a lad who's 19, has scored loads of goals already at an adult level and consistently scores lots of goals for England underage teams

Aye, "blind hope" in a lad who's 19, has scored loads of goals already at an adult level and consistently scores lots of goals for England underage teams

Adam Armstrong will never be a regular player in the Premier League.

Save this post for 5/7/9 years time.

Adam Armstrong will never be a regular player in the Premier League.

Save this post for 5/7/9 years time.

You're probably right because we never seem to give young players a chance unless there's an injury crisis anyway