Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Was at the point of losing my rag at the lack of changes but we'd won the tie in extra time. Players let him down tonight but I am looking forward to the world class in-game tactician turning up at some point.

Stunning week from this man.

Spot on today tbf, absolutely battered Hull just couldn't score which is hardly his fault.

Thank fuck we've got him, because he won't let this get to him and we'll come back stronger. Still massively disappointed to have lost that, don't understand why Yedlin was taken away from the penalties like. Should have as many fresh players as possible taking them, not knackered fuckers like Gouffran.

Spot on today tbf, absolutely battered Hull just couldn't score which is hardly his fault.

Thank fuck we've got him, because he won't let this get to him and we'll come back stronger. Still massively disappointed to have lost that, don't understand why Yedlin was taken away from the penalties like. Should have as many fresh players as possible taking them, not knackered fuckers like Gouffran.

Picking sels, late subs, not going two up top as soon as they went down to ten men. Then there's the team he put out at Blackburn.

Some awful decisions by him this week. Reckon we're fucked for our next game as well.

Picking sels, late subs, not going two up top as soon as they went down to ten men. Then there's the team he put out at Blackburn.

Some awful decisions by him this week. Reckon we're fucked for our next game as well.

Sels was always going to play today after having been displaced from the league. Late subs didn't hurt us, players switching off after going 1-0 up did. We basically were two up front with Diame playing there after the sending off. Blackburn yes, he takes a lot of blame for, but not tonight IMO.

We'll win on Friday anyway.

Deliberately weakened us twice in 3 days resulting in 2 defeats that should've been wins. He's got to stop trying to be so clever, like. Competition for places is good, playing inferior crap for no good reason whatsoever most certainly isn't.

Thought the team was solid, TBH. Few were bad on the night, but we were still the better side. Picking Sels for such a huge game seemed a bit mental. He has looked shitscared and mistake prone since signing.

Can't kill off a useless team like that and let it go to the lottery of pens. Then you deserve to lose, really. Friday is going to be really tough now.

We created absolutely fuck all for vast swathes of the game like. No point dominating if you aren't creating much

That's my worry. We look really good as a unit. Look after it well, play some nice stuff. But we have no cutting edge high up the pitch. Shelvey is deep, Ritchie looked/looks a bit off. Gouffran wants 20 touches all the while and isn't really a winger. Then you have Diame tripping over his own feet and Perez being out of form for about a year.

I suppose Atsu looked bright. But he is also hit and miss and will be away for the AFCON soon. I think we may need another wide option and/or attacking mid in January.

Guest firetotheworks

Canny fucking hysterical this like. We were weakened against Blackburn in order to put in our all for this and I was critical of his starting line up vs Blackburn, but I have no major complaints about the match tonight aside from the inexplicable decision to play Sels. If we were weakened against Blackburn, then you need to go all out for Hull and he did...aside from Sels, and in the end that one decision cost us. I know it seems unfair to scapegoat, but it was diabolical goalkeeping like.

We created absolutely fuck all for vast swathes of the game like. No point dominating if you aren't creating much

Hull packed the box so it's hard like, especially when we're a Championship side who sorely lack a proper number 10. I don't think I've ever seen us misskick the ball as much as that before though, probably the conditions.

No way does he deserve the blame tonight.

Poor finishing and a god awful goalkeeper let us down tonight.

The goalkeeper that he signed, and that he selected tonight despite some utter crap displays.

He gave him another chance yes and you'd think he wouldn't let his manager down but he did massively. I can see why he picked him and left young Darlow on the bench to give him a break. Rafa needed him to step up to the plate but he let him down, hopefully for the last time as I 'd send him back to Belgium personally.

Canny fucking hysterical this like. We were weakened against Blackburn in order to put in our all for this and I was critical of his starting line up vs Blackburn, but I have no major complaints about the match tonight aside from the inexplicable decision to play Sels. If we were weakened against Blackburn, then you need to go all out for Hull and he did...aside from Sels, and in the end that one decision cost us. I know it seems unfair to scapegoat, but it was diabolical goalkeeping like.

:thup: I get why he wants to play Sels, same with giving Lazaar and Murphy a chance (I don't disagree) but that's another game we win comfortably if he's not in goal.

i think he deserves the blame for tonight. plenty were saying that sels shouldnt have been brought back into such an important game. its not a case of being wise after the event.

and then against blackburn - changing 3 of the back 4, and refusing to make subs.

other than that he has been great but he does deserve a little criticism where its due. he's not perfect, i still love him. but sometimes things need saying.

No knee-jerk from me here, he's not going to win every game and every gamble's not going to come off. Looking forward to Friday.

It's not knee-jerk to suggest that selecting Sels was an abysmal decision.

No knee-jerk from me here, he's not going to win every game and every gamble's not going to come off. Looking forward to Friday.

It's not knee-jerk to suggest that selecting Sels was an abysmal decision.

Playing your weaker keeper in the cups is fairly standard tbh.