Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Just me that doesn't think we have the best team in the league? Gayle is a quality at this level but other than him our strikers are nowt special. We only have one decent winger, our left back is shite, we have two good central midfielders and a couple of other decent players like Yedlin and Clark but our team isn't as good as Brighton's for example, if you ask me.

Guest chopey

I do think we have the best overall squad but I still think the lack of flexibility with the shape and formation of the team has forced square pegs into round holes.

We do have the best overall first XI, but we've been missing key components for a little while. Our depth in numbers is good, but our quality doesn't match. We essentially have 3 CMs and 1 winger on our books for one of the most physically grueling professional leagues.

Just me that doesn't think we have the best team in the league? Gayle is a quality at this level but other than him our strikers are nowt special. We only have one decent winger, our left back is shite, we have two good central midfielders and a couple of other decent players like Yedlin and Clark but our team isn't as good as Brighton's for example, if you ask me.

We have a good spine and if all stay fit we'd walk most games, trouble is it only takes one to be out injured or suspended and it goes to shit as the backups are turgid.

Clark, Hayden, Shelvey, Ritchie and Gayle are a great spine but haven't all played together enough. We struggle when one is out, collapse when it's 2 or more. There's a lot of work to be done over the summer, that much is evident.

He also said that he couldn't get the players he wanted in the summer because they wouldn't want to play in this division.

Doesn't change the fact he has the most talented group of players in the division. Im sure about 100% of championship managers could/would say the same. Failing to get promoted with this squad would be a massive failure and f*** up regardless of lack of investment in january/not getting wanted players in the summer.

That beeing said, Im extremely confident that he will take us up, and few bad games where we have our key spine in the team out with injuries doesn't change that.

I like that he is keeping true to his philosophy as I think it will make the team more prepared for better teams next season.

Who are all these talented players? Not counting say, Gayle, shelvey and Richie.

He also said that he couldn't get the players he wanted in the summer because they wouldn't want to play in this division.

Doesn't change the fact he has the most talented group of players in the division. Im sure about 100% of championship managers could/would say the same. Failing to get promoted with this squad would be a massive failure and f*** up regardless of lack of investment in january/not getting wanted players in the summer.

That beeing said, Im extremely confident that he will take us up, and few bad games where we have our key spine in the team out with injuries doesn't change that.

I like that he is keeping true to his philosophy as I think it will make the team more prepared for better teams next season.

Who are all these talented players? Not counting say, Gayle, shelvey and Richie.

In addition to those you so kindly already listed, Clarke, Yedlin, Atsu and Hayden would walk into the starting XI of any team in this league. Possibly even Anita, Mitrovic, Gouffran and Perez.

In addition to those you so kindly already listed, Clarke, Yedlin, Atsu and Hayden would walk into the starting XI of any team in this league. Possibly even Anita, Mitrovic, Gouffran and Perez.

Nonsense.

Don't agree at all, Clark yes although none of us would have thought when he signed. Atsu absolutely not, big fan of Hayden and his injury is part of the reason why we've struggled.

The other four, no. Goufran ffs.

Nonsense.

This.

Funny one this. You have to be the most un Rafa like team I've seen, of all his charges, and of course he must take responsibility for that. It's his job to drill/impress his methods on the team and it could be said he's failed to do that. He's certainly failed if you don't go up, even if ensuring that is not half as easy as some on here make out. I think you will go up. But there's some cause for concern for me, as a seasoned Rafa watcher.

1. Rafa teams nearly always finish the season strongly. Valencia did. We always did at LFC. Chelsea too, when he got them in the CL and won the Europa. Napoli in his first season (less so his second but he'd announced he'd gone then...). It's one of the benefits of rotation. But you lot seem out of steam and patched up. That might be down to bad luck with injuries. But it could also be an issue with the fitness work, either now or earlier in the season. Or, as I suspect, you have struggled with the pressure all season, particularly since Xmas. Everyone expected you to piss it, win every game, and its a cup final for the opposition etc...In that respect it's different as all Rafa's other teams were coming from behind but you have been pacesetting almost from the start. You need strong characters to handle it and drag the team with them. All his teams have had characters like that. Gerrard, Carra, Mata etc. Who are the leaders on your team? Who can lead from the front? I think that's been a problem and one that will need solving. Maybe in the last three matches but definitely when you go up.

2. Defensive mistakes. Seems like you're making lots of them. Rafa teams rarely fuck up defensively. They defend set pieces well. Is this related to the pressure problem? Or is Rafa unable to organise a defence like he once did?

3. I don't believe for a second this talk of complacency. From what I've seen or read you are bricking it on the field, nervy and prone to errors. If so, it's a failure of Rafa's not to be able to relax players and take some of the pressure of them. But he will also need to find some players who can cope with it better. He has also seemed to be micro managing you in matches, a sign he doesn't trust people to carry out the game plan. That's not sustainable. It was never the case at LFC anyway. You need players not only capable of carrying out a game plan, but reacting to whatever the opposition are doing rather than having their hand held.

4. Selection - I was surprised to see he made so many changes today. Not surprised one of them was Mitrovic, because he was the one who I reckon caused that late Leeds goal, which was a giant kick in the teeth,  and Rafa doesn't forgiver that bullshit. Plus Murphy v his old team etc. There might have been reasons for it though. It smacks of a bit of panic from him though, not often seen. In those late season runs he made changes of course, but one or two, not five. Did anyone ask why he made so many changes? Again it points to people being battered and knackered and his system is meant to avoid that.

5. Goals - they seemed to have dried up. You scored for fun earlier in the season. But now it seems to be one a game, two if you're lucky. That makes you very vulnerable, particularly when you're defence is prone to fucking up. Gayle's injury was obviously a blow, but I'd have put money on Rafa finding another way.

Ironically, if you did go to the play offs, no matter that you'd shit the bed, I'd fancy you to go up because as he's proved already this season no one prepares a team better for one off, big matches. But something is missing. Most likely players, but I think it's fair to say that while he's done a good job this season, in a situation where he and you were damned if you did and damned if you didn't, it has been by no means perfect. But if you do go up - and I think Fulham will take points off Hudderslacks on Saturday so if you beat Preston you'll be there - then there is much work for him to do.

A LFC mate thinks managers pass their shelf life in the same way players do. I don't think Rafa has past his, and of course they said the same about Ranieri. But he has some serious work on his hands next season if you make it up and maybe the biggest challenge of his career to keep you up.

If we'd signed some new players I'd find it much easier to join in with criticism of Benitez. The c***s running the club took an unnecessary risk yet again, I'll never get behind their decision making when it comes to ignoring the manager regarding the needs of the squad. Any manager, but particularly this one.

Yes he should of been backed but let's not forget he has spent 50 million which is crazy amount for the Championship. The problem is the formation, team selection and tactics are not right and have not been for months so yes criticism and questioning are justified.

We sold all our best players and walked away with a 30 million profit.

Imagine where we would be if we didn't replace anyone.

And he still spent 50 million to replace them which by Championship standards is unreal so your point is?

I give up.

http://il3.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/11544743/thumb/1.jpg?i10c=img.resize(height:160)

It's funny because we could still finish on 90+ points which i assume is normally a cracking total?

Should he be getting stick if we are promoted with 90+ points or are we just shitting ourselves because a poor run has come at a terrible time rather than earlier in the season?

It's funny because we could still finish on 90+ points which i assume is normally a cracking total?

Should he be getting stick if we are promoted with 90+ points or are we just shitting ourselves because a poor run has come at a terrible time rather than earlier in the season?

As far as I'm concerned, he could have got promoted with 60 points and he wouldn't deserve any stick. Not than I'm saying he's completely immune from any criticism, but if we go up, we're a Premier League team with genuine hope of doing something worthwhile. That's all I ever wanted from Rafa this season.

I really think this is what it is. I'm not forgiving the drop in performances, but like I said in another thread, our two excellent runs of form (that run of 9, and then the run after new year up to Hudds (a)) have allowed us to hit some poor form and still have plenty of daylight between us and the rest.

Don't agree at all, Clark yes although none of us would have thought when he signed. Atsu absolutely not, big fan of Hayden and his injury is part of the reason why we've struggled.

Please tell me which team in the fucking championship would turn down the opportunity to field a 30 year old winger/striker with experience from PL, europe and previous ligue 1 winner?  :lol:

I know we don't like him on here, mainly due to previous years, but don't be so naive because of what the consensus is on here.

Signing Lazaar and Gamez then never using them has been really wierd, considering we have 6 senior fullbacks and only 3 centre midfielders. Misuse of funds?

Did either of them cost anything?

Easy to say this in hindsight now they haven't played, but they might have been needed. A lot of people said the same thing about Murphy IIRC.

Please tell me which team in the f***ing championship would turn down the opportunity to field a 30 year old winger/striker with experience from PL, europe and previous ligue 1 winner?  :lol:

I know we don't like him on here, mainly due to previous years, but don't be so naive because of what the consensus is on here.

What on earth are you on about? What has his career history got to do with anything? He's absolutely awful, watch any team in the top half of the championship and they'll all almost certainly have wingers.which are more of a threat than him.

Signing Lazaar and Gamez then never using them has been really wierd, considering we have 6 senior fullbacks and only 3 centre midfielders. Misuse of funds?

Did either of them cost anything?

Easy to say this in hindsight now they haven't played, but they might have been needed. A lot of people said the same thing about Murphy IIRC.

Well Lazar was our only other left back up until after weeks back so he was absolutely necessary.

Please tell me which team in the fucking championship would turn down the opportunity to field a 30 year old winger/striker with experience from PL, europe and previous ligue 1 winner?  :lol:

What the hell has any of that got to do with anything? Watch him play for us. He's fucking shite. I'd take Burton Albion's wide players over the cunt.

Please tell me which team in the f***ing championship would turn down the opportunity to field a 30 year old winger/striker with experience from PL, europe and previous ligue 1 winner?  :lol:

Oh dear.

Lazaar and Gamez together cost about £3m plus wages. In Championship terms it's pennies, let alone Premier League.

Ever heard of Sergi Canós? Norwich signed him for £2.5m last summer. He made 9 appearances, then they sold him to Brentford in January.