Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Can't believe some have put a negative spin on this....best thing to happen to the club since Sir Bobby.

I know. Everyone is over the moon we have shown some ambition and then that gets posted. Tbh, I just read the opening line about pouring cold water and skipped it. Far too happy for that sort of negativity.

Pool fan here. I come in peace. I am a bit of a Rafa fan and thought would share my views on positives and negatives of Rafa.

Style of Play: Functional. Hates loosing more than loves winning. Players will be drilled, day in day out. You will have the best defense seen at the club for ages. It can grate fans who like the attacking style of football but I can guarantee one thing - Newcastle United will never let the fans down in terms of effort. He will demand every player to cover every blade of grass 10 times over in each game. Once his tactics take shape, expect Newcastle to suffocate the opposition.

One of the reasons he is unpopular in the media is that he never bows down to others. His attitude towards Mourinho "F*** you", towards Ferguson  " F*** you", towards Allardyc " F*** F***  F*** you". You will go to Nou Camp, Madrid, San Siro and play with the "F** you we are Geordies, this is how we play attitude". His Valencia and Liverpool teams never bowed to anyone. Ayala used to say about how Rafa wanted him to kick players in the shower and create fights in the dressing room when someone was giving less than 100%. Expect the same at Newcastle.

Player management: He is not the best at managing egos. He views each player as a chess piece. If he believes the team performance improves after drinking tea which Alan Shearer makes, he will ask Alan Shearer to make tea. He is all about drills. Players come in repeat the drills over and over again till it becomes second nature. He is from the Sacchi school than Cryuff.

Attention to details: Obsessive. He will spend hours analyzing every bit of detail about the opposition. Stop him on the street and ask about next weeks game, he will be able to recite the height and weight of all opposition players from memory. He will give you 400%. When he got fired from Inter he started coaching the U 10 or U 8 football team his daughters played for, and apparently parents got bewildered when he stood at the sidelines and started shouting at 8 year old girls for not following his instruction.

Relationship with owners: Not the best at maintaining relationship with owners. Frequently gets into fights.

Relationship with fans: Dont listen to the media who portray him as a cold person. You will love him. He embraces the city, the culture and when you loose you can see the hurt in his eyes. He will give you his everything. Him and his wife Montse Benitez are wonderful human beings who will do a lot for charity. When he left he gave the HJC a check for $96000. I know he makes millions but having the presence of mind to pick that number shows everything about him. Other incidents:

Google for Montse Benitez charities. She and Rafa have done a lot.

Tranfers: A bit of a mixed bag. His transfers initially were brilliant. He loves choir boys than mavericks. But when he gets it right, he really gets it right - Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Reina. The right type of players love him. "Barcelona defender Javier Mascherano has expressed his gratitude to Rafa Benitez and feels the Real Madrid coach saved his career. Mascherano has not forgotten about his former mentor and has stressed he will always be grateful to Benitez. He's a great man, and a diligent and excellent coach," Mascherano told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has thanked Rafa Benitez for helping him to a reach a level he never expected to hit." Bellamy: "I have gone on record recently and I will say it again now that I have learnt more from Rafael Benitez than any other coach I have worked with. I am a much better player for the time I've spent working with him and if I do go on to manage at some point in the future he's the model I'll use in my career. I can't make my respect for him any clearer than that."

Football infrastructure: He builds the long term football infrastructure along with the first team. His coaching staff are serious technical people - not people who get jobs because of their playing career. He revamped the youth setup at LFC and Sterling, Ibe, Flanagan - not exactly class of 92 but still the best youth setup LFC had in ages. Expect some personnel from Sevilla, Barcelona, Madrid youth setup to join yu guys in the future.

Will Newcastle win the Premier League if Rafa is the boss for the next 10 years? Not sure. But you will definitely win cups and most likely nice shiny European ones. If my life depended on the outcome of a two legged European tie, there is no one on the planet I would pick to manage my club other than Rafa Benitez. Loose to Reading on Saturday and then go to Nou Camp and defeat reining European champion Barcelona on their home turf. Expect a lot of weeks like that.

Good luck. Wonderful manager, great person. You will love him

Pool fan here. I come in peace. I am a bit of a Rafa fan and thought would share my views on positives and negatives of Rafa.

Style of Play: Functional. Hates loosing more than loves winning. Players will be drilled, day in day out. You will have the best defense seen at the club for ages. It can grate fans who like the attacking style of football but I can guarantee one thing - Newcastle United will never let the fans down in terms of effort. He will demand every player to cover every blade of grass 10 times over in each game. Once his tactics take shape, expect Newcastle to suffocate the opposition.

One of the reasons he is unpopular in the media is that he never bows down to others. His attitude towards Mourinho "F*** you", towards Ferguson  " F*** you", towards Allardyc " F*** F***  F*** you". You will go to Nou Camp, Madrid, San Siro and play with the "F** you we are Geordies, this is how we play attitude". His Valencia and Liverpool teams never bowed to anyone. Ayala used to say about how Rafa wanted him to kick players in the shower and create fights in the dressing room when someone was giving less than 100%. Expect the same at Newcastle.

Player management: He is not the best at managing egos. He views each player as a chess piece. If he believes the team performance improves after drinking tea which Alan Shearer makes, he will ask Alan Shearer to make tea. He is all about drills. Players come in repeat the drills over and over again till it becomes second nature. He is from the Sacchi school than Cryuff.

Attention to details: Obsessive. He will spend hours analyzing every bit of detail about the opposition. Stop him on the street and ask about next weeks game, he will be able to recite the height and weight of all opposition players from memory. He will give you 400%. When he got fired from Inter he started coaching the U 10 or U 8 football team his daughters played for, and apparently parents got bewildered when he stood at the sidelines and started shouting at 8 year old girls for not following his instruction.

Relationship with owners: Not the best at maintaining relationship with owners. Frequently gets into fights.

Relationship with fans: Dont listen to the media who portray him as a cold person. You will love him. He embraces the city, the culture and when you loose you can see the hurt in his eyes. He will give you his everything. Him and his wife Montse Benitez are wonderful human beings who will do a lot for charity. When he left he gave the HJC a check for $96000. I know he makes millions but having the presence of mind to pick that number shows everything about him. Other incidents:

Tranfers: A bit of a mixed bag. His transfers initially were brilliant. He loves choir boys than mavericks. But when he gets it right, he really gets it right - Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Reina. The right type of players love him. "Barcelona defender Javier Mascherano has expressed his gratitude to Rafa Benitez and feels the Real Madrid coach saved his career. Mascherano has not forgotten about his former mentor and has stressed he will always be grateful to Benitez. He's a great man, and a diligent and excellent coach," Mascherano told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has thanked Rafa Benitez for helping him to a reach a level he never expected to hit." Bellamy: "I have gone on record recently and I will say it again now that I have learnt more from Rafael Benitez than any other coach I have worked with. I am a much better player for the time I've spent working with him and if I do go on to manage at some point in the future he's the model I'll use in my career. I can't make my respect for him any clearer than that."

Football infrastructure: He builds the long term football infrastructure along with the first team. His coaching staff are serious technical people - not people who get jobs because of their playing career. He revamped the youth setup at LFC and Sterling, Ibe, Flanagan - not exactly class of 92 but still the best youth setup LFC had in ages. Expect some personnel from Sevilla, Barcelona, Madrid youth setup to join yu guys in the future.

Will Newcastle win the Premier League if Rafa is the boss for the next 10 years? Not sure. But you will definitely win cups and most likely nice shiny European ones. If my life depended on the outcome of a two legged European tie, there is no one on the planet I would pick to manage my club other than Rafa Benitez. Loose to Reading on Saturday and then go to Nou Camp and defeat reining European champion Barcelona on their home turf. Expect a lot of weeks like that.

Fantastic post :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

First post here long time fan and sadly going to pour some cold water over the fires of euphoria. Rafa Benitez is a fantastic appointment no doubt. The problem I see is how long he will be here. 

Firstly he has to perform a minor miracle and keep us up, given he cannot bring any players in to help and has to make do with the players we have that in itself is a tall order. We have no goal scoring strikers, Rafa cannot go out there and score them himself, likewise we are woefully ill equipped at the back. He is a good manager no doubt but turning a turd into a chocolate cake and or having Stephen Taylor in the back four and not conceding more than enough goals to plummet out of the division is a very tall order indeed.

Longer term should we stay up you assume that he has asked for Ashleys assurance of the kind of funds required for him to be able to turn this club into a champions league side? Lets face it he wont be interested in managing a mid table side with no european competition. Now given Ashleys track record and our clubs inability to get them over the line I wonder how long it will take for him to feel that Ashley has filled him with s***?

My view is that until the fat retailer is gone from the club we are fundamentally screwed and the arrival of Benitez may lift spirits and may just see us preserve our premier league status by the skin of our teeth, but I would be mighty suprised if Rafa is still here a year from today.

I share your concerns, I mean this is Newcastle United after all, Mike Ashley's Newcastle United more to the point. But, but, but... since SP and AO we have seen a huge turnaround in how the club operates. First they appoint SMC and all of his staff and then they spend almost 80m on players.

They then sack him because we are in a relegation spot and appoint probably the best manager in the game out there who is available and they give him his backroom staff, title of manager and apparently control over transfers. Ashley isn't going anywhere sadly, but all things point to a whole new way of doing things. Staying in the PL brings its rewards financially, hugely so, this is what MA cares about most, but perhaps, just perhaps with the appointment of Rafa, his man apparently, things may be changing and for the better.

That'll do for me

Fantastic post :thup:

Brilliant.  Thanks for taking the time.  Great read.

Guest DonaldGrump

First post here long time fan and sadly going to pour some cold water over the fires of euphoria. Rafa Benitez is a fantastic appointment no doubt. The problem I see is how long he will be here. 

Firstly he has to perform a minor miracle and keep us up, given he cannot bring any players in to help and has to make do with the players we have that in itself is a tall order. We have no goal scoring strikers, Rafa cannot go out there and score them himself, likewise we are woefully ill equipped at the back. He is a good manager no doubt but turning a turd into a chocolate cake and or having Stephen Taylor in the back four and not conceding more than enough goals to plummet out of the division is a very tall order indeed.

Dont get me wrong I am delighted with his appointment and have no doubt that if he is given a chance he can turn this club round. Lets face it like most with a knowledge of the game he will see the fantastic potential at Newcastle United....He will be fully aware that there is no reason anything achieved at Liverpool could in theory be achieved at this club. With the money continuing to pour into the Premier league it has started to level the playing field in the League as proved by Leicester and West Ham to name two....and a point made by Evertons new shareholder.

It is inconcievable he hasnt satisfied himself that Ashley will match his ambitions but our owners words have meant little in the years he has been here. Thats what tempers my enthusiasm, and frustrates me in equal measure. Lets be clear Benitez will not be interested in managing a mid table team that plods on and flogs players. Rafael Benitez will want to win things and play in the champions league. So if Benitez is here in a years time I suspect we will be very happy indeed because we will be in the top 5 or 6 and will have had a good go at the cups. For that to happen we will have at least half a dozen new faces in the team who will have cost a very large amount of money.  Benitez will have little difficulty bringing in players of that quality but will Ashley pay for them?

Longer term should we stay up you assume that he has asked for Ashleys assurance of the kind of funds required for him to be able to turn this club into a champions league side? Lets face it he wont be interested in managing a mid table side with no european competition. Now given Ashleys track record and our clubs inability to get them over the line I wonder how long it will take for him to feel that Ashley has filled him with s***?

My view is that until the fat retailer is gone from the club we are fundamentally screwed and the arrival of Benitez may lift spirits and may just see us preserve our premier league status by the skin of our teeth, but I would be mighty suprised if Rafa is still here a year from today.

Staying up is obviously going to be tough and if it doesn't happen he'll be gone. Totally accept that. :thup:

But if you can't see beyond that and be excited about this appointment then there's literally no hope left for you regarding NUFC. It's by some distance the most ambitious thing we've ever done under Ashley, and possibly since Robson.

I agree Dave, when the alternative was continue the way we were then we are down, we appoint from within how much is likely the change this was the biggest leap forward we could make right now would things have been better if:

we never got McClaren in the first place

we didnt do a Graeme Souness style and spend a big load on players a proper manager may not want

we didnt wait this late in the game to change

However all we can do is move forward a little bit of a clean slate for the big hitter players the team have that have not done it at all he will butt heads and fall out with some and we may end up cutting ties with players we like and he doesnt if we stay up and he stays but such is life.

He looses the 10 games then yeah its the structure its the team and we deserved it most of the season to go down but if your looking for the ray of light moment to come its this change today

Thanks for sharing that with us rgk, its made me very excited, just hope he can keep us up first and foremost, if he can then next season could really be a sight to behold!

The bit about getting into fights with owners worries me though, especially with the morons who run the club currently, but lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

That's got me moist as fuck

I've got this soul-destroying feeling that we've appointed the best manager this club could get ... far too late.

At least we have a chance of enjoying something potentially really special. Has to be better than still being stuck with McClaren man. Just have to enjoy the moment.

Lovely post from the Liverpool lad too. Fantastic stuff.

I've got this soul-destroying feeling that we've appointed the best manager this club could get ... far too late.

Yep, its going to hurt like f*** if we go down and forever wonder what could have been when we're mid table in the championship with Gary Megson  :lol:

I used this exact same quote yesterday in the office. hmmm  :kasper:

would be nice if he said fuxx the relegation clause ...if I get you relegated I will stay with you  :)

It's a remote possibility, but it's not completely impossible, so there's that too. Better to just assume he leaves tbh.

I've got the same feeling also, but at least its a step in the right direction... for now.