Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Loads of people saying we should have gone for a relegation experienced manager, I just dont think we have the type of players that would respond to a Pearson type manager. We have the best bloke we could of hoped for and Newcastle is a club where the fans need to be made to think "what if?" anythings possible. Going to be tough staying up but I'll be buzzing come next season if we manage it and then who knows?

Interesting that Rafa barely trusted Gerrard in the true CM role and that's because he lacked the ability to keep it simple, give and go, pass and move etc. like Alonso which was the staple of Rafa's philosophy at the time, ball retention and possession. I once called Rafa's football nothing football because a lot of it was sideways passing football without venturing forward, but it was basically me being ignorant of the trends outside of the PL. He almost made it work here. I can see Anita becoming a key player for us and maybe Shelvey pushed further forward or wider as a narrow midfield. I'm sure Rafa liked his full-backs to push up at LFC. Mind, I don't know how he has progressed since his LFC days as I've not taken any interest in European footy clearly /Ronaldo

More to do with positional discipline. Gerrard has no regard for it. Teams concede buckets of goals with CM's not paying attention to runners. Shelvey is in that same mould as is Aaron Ramsey.

Rafa seemed to prefer conservative fullbacks.

His appointment makes me now give a f***. I now want us to win and to stay up and for the team and club to succeed. Although I won't be attending games until Ashley goes. And talking of that c***, if relegation meant him leaving I'd take that any day of the week. I'd take relegation to the Conference if it mean he sold up. MA will never be the right man to own this club, Rafa appointment or not.

Yep, i wanted relegation and now i'm desperate to stay up just to see where Rafa can take us.

Sissoko playing as a pivot man. Behave Kaka.[emoji38]

If not then the guy might have to sit on the bench man. He isn't providing enough in the final third to take up the role he has had. Would rather have Perez and Gini in those wide roles. Shelvey as I sad cannot stay central so has to move further up. Our central midfield is crucial in this run in. Pretty sure Sissoko played alongside Capoue in that Toulousse midfield in France.

Guest Howaythetoon

Loads of people saying we should have gone for a relegation experienced manager, I just dont think we have the type of players that would respond to a Pearson type manager. We have the best bloke we could of hoped for and Newcastle is a club where the fans need to be made to think "what if?" anythings possible. Going to be tough staying up but I'll be buzzing come next season if we manage it and then who knows?

I can see the argument tbh, Rafa's methods and philosophy can take time to work, especially given our lot. As delighted as I am with his appointment and how mad this all is, I personally feel its too late and that we will go down. We realistically need to win 4 games and maybe draw 2. I cannot see where our next win is coming from. I can see a narrow win for Leicester with the Toon putting up a brave fight and at best a draw at home to the mackems. Then what? Swansea at home looks the most likely chance of a win. LFC away, Villa away... tough games. Palace at home, wouldn't it just be typical for Pardew to end his winless run at SJP! We are down IMO. I hope I'm wrong like!

A mate of mine today said he would take Rafa and relegation than staying up with SMC and another 3 or 4 years of him.

By the way if we do go down, I could see a scenario where Rafa stays and takes us back up. Its about the project with him!

We just have to assume he is definitely going if we go down. No point getting our hopes up to that extent.

Sissoko playing as a pivot man. Behave Kaka.[emoji38]

If not then the guy might have to sit on the bench man. He isn't providing enough in the final third to take up the role he has had. Would rather have Perez and Gini in those wide roles. Shelvey as I sad cannot stay central so has to move further up. Our central midfield is crucial in this run in. Pretty sure Sissoko played alongside Capoue in that Toulousse midfield in France.

He did but on that same token, Yaya played DM at Barca and he could never do that now. I think with the right manager and some application on his behalf he could do that but i have extreme reservations on that said application.

Think the should have gone for someone experienced in relegation battles opinion may have some truth in other situations but with the players we have I couldn't see them responding to Nigel Pearson going radge at them. Rafa building a solid back four and midfield is the best we could get in this situation IMO

We'll see Mole. I'm really concerned about the use of Sissoko going forward. I guess he could remain where he is currently, but then that would mean either Mitro or Perez upfront for me. Shelvey has to play behind the striker with our current defence in order to tighten things up.

Think the should have gone for someone experienced in relegation battles opinion may have some truth in other situations but with the players we have I couldn't see them responding to Nigel Pearson going radge at them. Rafa building a solid back four and midfield is the best we could get in this situation IMO

That's so defeatist, if you go for that type of manager you'll always be fighting to avoid relegation because that type of manager is that type for a reason.

That's so defeatist, if you go for that type of manager you'll always be fighting to avoid relegation because that type of manager is that type for a reason.

Aye, see Sunderland