Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Pool fan here. I come in peace. I am a bit of a Rafa fan and thought would share my views on positives and negatives of Rafa.

Style of Play: Functional. Hates loosing more than loves winning. Players will be drilled, day in day out. You will have the best defense seen at the club for ages. It can grate fans who like the attacking style of football but I can guarantee one thing - Newcastle United will never let the fans down in terms of effort. He will demand every player to cover every blade of grass 10 times over in each game. Once his tactics take shape, expect Newcastle to suffocate the opposition.

One of the reasons he is unpopular in the media is that he never bows down to others. His attitude towards Mourinho "F*** you", towards Ferguson  " F*** you", towards Allardyc " F*** F***  F*** you". You will go to Nou Camp, Madrid, San Siro and play with the "F** you we are Geordies, this is how we play attitude". His Valencia and Liverpool teams never bowed to anyone. Ayala used to say about how Rafa wanted him to kick players in the shower and create fights in the dressing room when someone was giving less than 100%. Expect the same at Newcastle.

Player management: He is not the best at managing egos. He views each player as a chess piece. If he believes the team performance improves after drinking tea which Alan Shearer makes, he will ask Alan Shearer to make tea. He is all about drills. Players come in repeat the drills over and over again till it becomes second nature. He is from the Sacchi school than Cryuff.

Attention to details: Obsessive. He will spend hours analyzing every bit of detail about the opposition. Stop him on the street and ask about next weeks game, he will be able to recite the height and weight of all opposition players from memory. He will give you 400%. When he got fired from Inter he started coaching the U 10 or U 8 football team his daughters played for, and apparently parents got bewildered when he stood at the sidelines and started shouting at 8 year old girls for not following his instruction.

Relationship with owners: Not the best at maintaining relationship with owners. Frequently gets into fights.

Relationship with fans: Dont listen to the media who portray him as a cold person. You will love him. He embraces the city, the culture and when you loose you can see the hurt in his eyes. He will give you his everything. Him and his wife Montse Benitez are wonderful human beings who will do a lot for charity. When he left he gave the HJC a check for $96000. I know he makes millions but having the presence of mind to pick that number shows everything about him. Other incidents:

Google for Montse Benitez charities. She and Rafa have done a lot.

Tranfers: A bit of a mixed bag. His transfers initially were brilliant. He loves choir boys than mavericks. But when he gets it right, he really gets it right - Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Reina. The right type of players love him. "Barcelona defender Javier Mascherano has expressed his gratitude to Rafa Benitez and feels the Real Madrid coach saved his career. Mascherano has not forgotten about his former mentor and has stressed he will always be grateful to Benitez. He's a great man, and a diligent and excellent coach," Mascherano told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has thanked Rafa Benitez for helping him to a reach a level he never expected to hit." Bellamy: "I have gone on record recently and I will say it again now that I have learnt more from Rafael Benitez than any other coach I have worked with. I am a much better player for the time I've spent working with him and if I do go on to manage at some point in the future he's the model I'll use in my career. I can't make my respect for him any clearer than that."

Football infrastructure: He builds the long term football infrastructure along with the first team. His coaching staff are serious technical people - not people who get jobs because of their playing career. He revamped the youth setup at LFC and Sterling, Ibe, Flanagan - not exactly class of 92 but still the best youth setup LFC had in ages. Expect some personnel from Sevilla, Barcelona, Madrid youth setup to join yu guys in the future.

Will Newcastle win the Premier League if Rafa is the boss for the next 10 years? Not sure. But you will definitely win cups and most likely nice shiny European ones. If my life depended on the outcome of a two legged European tie, there is no one on the planet I would pick to manage my club other than Rafa Benitez. Loose to Reading on Saturday and then go to Nou Camp and defeat reining European champion Barcelona on their home turf. Expect a lot of weeks like that.

Good luck. Wonderful manager, great person. You will love him

Fantastic post :thup:

Brilliant.  Thanks for taking the time.  Great read.

Yup, thanks for the insight rgk_lfc. :thup:

Pool fan here. I come in peace. I am a bit of a Rafa fan and thought would share my views on positives and negatives of Rafa.

Style of Play: Functional. Hates loosing more than loves winning. Players will be drilled, day in day out. You will have the best defense seen at the club for ages. It can grate fans who like the attacking style of football but I can guarantee one thing - Newcastle United will never let the fans down in terms of effort. He will demand every player to cover every blade of grass 10 times over in each game. Once his tactics take shape, expect Newcastle to suffocate the opposition.

One of the reasons he is unpopular in the media is that he never bows down to others. His attitude towards Mourinho "F*** you", towards Ferguson  " F*** you", towards Allardyc " F*** F***  F*** you". You will go to Nou Camp, Madrid, San Siro and play with the "F** you we are Geordies, this is how we play attitude". His Valencia and Liverpool teams never bowed to anyone. Ayala used to say about how Rafa wanted him to kick players in the shower and create fights in the dressing room when someone was giving less than 100%. Expect the same at Newcastle.

Player management: He is not the best at managing egos. He views each player as a chess piece. If he believes the team performance improves after drinking tea which Alan Shearer makes, he will ask Alan Shearer to make tea. He is all about drills. Players come in repeat the drills over and over again till it becomes second nature. He is from the Sacchi school than Cryuff.

Attention to details: Obsessive. He will spend hours analyzing every bit of detail about the opposition. Stop him on the street and ask about next weeks game, he will be able to recite the height and weight of all opposition players from memory. He will give you 400%. When he got fired from Inter he started coaching the U 10 or U 8 football team his daughters played for, and apparently parents got bewildered when he stood at the sidelines and started shouting at 8 year old girls for not following his instruction.

Relationship with owners: Not the best at maintaining relationship with owners. Frequently gets into fights.

Relationship with fans: Dont listen to the media who portray him as a cold person. You will love him. He embraces the city, the culture and when you loose you can see the hurt in his eyes. He will give you his everything. Him and his wife Montse Benitez are wonderful human beings who will do a lot for charity. When he left he gave the HJC a check for $96000. I know he makes millions but having the presence of mind to pick that number shows everything about him. Other incidents:

Tranfers: A bit of a mixed bag. His transfers initially were brilliant. He loves choir boys than mavericks. But when he gets it right, he really gets it right - Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Reina. The right type of players love him. "Barcelona defender Javier Mascherano has expressed his gratitude to Rafa Benitez and feels the Real Madrid coach saved his career. Mascherano has not forgotten about his former mentor and has stressed he will always be grateful to Benitez. He's a great man, and a diligent and excellent coach," Mascherano told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has thanked Rafa Benitez for helping him to a reach a level he never expected to hit." Bellamy: "I have gone on record recently and I will say it again now that I have learnt more from Rafael Benitez than any other coach I have worked with. I am a much better player for the time I've spent working with him and if I do go on to manage at some point in the future he's the model I'll use in my career. I can't make my respect for him any clearer than that."

Football infrastructure: He builds the long term football infrastructure along with the first team. His coaching staff are serious technical people - not people who get jobs because of their playing career. He revamped the youth setup at LFC and Sterling, Ibe, Flanagan - not exactly class of 92 but still the best youth setup LFC had in ages. Expect some personnel from Sevilla, Barcelona, Madrid youth setup to join yu guys in the future.

Will Newcastle win the Premier League if Rafa is the boss for the next 10 years? Not sure. But you will definitely win cups and most likely nice shiny European ones. If my life depended on the outcome of a two legged European tie, there is no one on the planet I would pick to manage my club other than Rafa Benitez. Loose to Reading on Saturday and then go to Nou Camp and defeat reining European champion Barcelona on their home turf. Expect a lot of weeks like that.

That's got me moist as f***

A highly enjoyable read.

I've read a few posts from Lpool fans saying Rafa will win a trophy with us. Other than possibly The Championship if we go down, this is Newcastle, we don't win trophys. Can you imagine if we did.....

I've read a few posts from Lpool fans saying Rafa will win a trophy with us. Other than possibly The Championship if we go down, this is Newcastle, we don't win trophys. Can you imagine if we did.....

What's a trophy?

A highly enjoyable read.

Best post I've read in ages  :coolsmiley:

A highly enjoyable read.

Agreed, that's a brilliant read. Much thanks for taking the time to post that here. Totally over the moon with this appointment.

Guest chopey

In a perverse way I was looking forward to Ashley's meltdown at relegation, I'm now 100% committed to seeing a Benitez lead Newcastle in next years Premiership. Charnley is now doing what he was born for, carrying his bosses bags. Ashley wants the TV money, Rafa can give him it.

Still can't get my head around the fact that Mike Ashley's Newcastle United have appointed a top class manager.

I think Benitez will be fantastic for us. Great network of players, organisation fantastic etc. We have been utter shit this season but he must be looking at those games and thinking he can get 5 wins.

This is amazing. How is this man our manager?

Still can't get my head around the fact that Mike Ashley's Newcastle United have appointed a top class manager.

I think Benitez will be fantastic for us. Great network of players, organisation fantastic etc. We have been utter s*** this season but he must be looking at those games and thinking he can get 5 wins.

This is exactly how I feel, no coverage here at all but a bloody big write up in the NZ Herald on why (Man) United fans deserve sympathy...

If Rafa Benitez is at Newcastle for the next 6 years, I am confident that you will win one of the UEFA cup, FA or Carling cup. I have no doubt about that.

If we do stay up and we're willing to spend (again) we might actually be able to attract decent players. :fwap:

yep- taking the relegation threat aside. Id bet he has an idea of exactly how he wants to build- who he wants, and their availability- moving away from random punts on scouted/ players of favored management teams etc.  everything done for footballing reasons. and somebody who knows what they are doing.

GTFI.

A highly enjoyable read.

Certainly different to the opinions fans of Pardew's or McLaren's former club. I just hope we stay up. If we stay up, my god, I will have the best fucking summer in terms of awaiting a football season I think I'll ever have had. Im not discounting Keegan and Bobby bring in charge but the feeling from what weve had the last few years when for the first tike in my life I got to the point where I didnt care about football and it was debatable if I actually would say I like football to people I meet.

Rafa will probably not be able to achieve what they did, he may and he certainly can as a manager but he probably won't have the resources to do so.

I was thinking about it before and I am literally flabbergasted we got him. Its interesting that alot of people here were saying chuck a load of money at him to keep us up and we have. Its probably one of the first times they have actually done what the fans want. It would not surprise me if Charnley has an account on here and they went after him because their way had not worked.

Been off the grid today. Wow. Stunning appointment.

Huge end to the season now, DAT mackem game is going to be insane.

In a good mood now, going to treat myself and the Missus to a Dominos and we'll have a roll around later.  :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:

"I think for Newcastle, it's a fantastic appointment to get a manager of that calibre," the Sky Sports expert said. "I think over the last decade, you'd have to go back to Bobby Robson [to find someone] who has won that many honours.

"These next 10 games - if he can get through those, then over the next three years he could be the man that stops that rot of trophies. He's won so many trophies in his career.

"The fans shouldn't be concerned, not at all. For any Newcastle fan, forget the next three years, focus on the next 10 games.

"If you're a fan and Newcastle went down, you wouldn't want Rafa, you'd want someone that has experience in that league and has success in that league. Rafa won't want to be there.

"It works perfectly for both parties; if he keeps them up, it'll be a great appointment over the next three or four years and hopefully he can get Newcastle back up the table  I think the next 10 games are all that matters for everyone involved."

"I can't remember ever seeing Rafa at this end of the table," Carragher told Sky Sports News HQ. "That's why I'm interested in seeing how he goes about it. That's why I'm interested in seeing how he manages, how he prepares his players.

"Motivation? That's not Rafa's biggest strength. He will look at how they suffer tactically. Rafa was probably the best I had with setting up a back four. There's probably going to be a lot of repetition and he won't apologise for that.

"Those players will work hard - whoever they're playing, it will be a difficult game for them. It won't be the open expansive style the fans want, for now he will be focusing on trying to make Newcastle difficult to beat."

Getting a lot of coverage in Spain. During his stint at Liverpool, Liverpool became Spain's most popular English team - wonder if you'll become a name again over here if things don't go pear shaped. I was here first in any case!

We don't care about Spain we have you[emoji38]