Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Benítez always buys a lot from Spain, I think he has a decent eye for the most part. He loves his workhorses; most of his best signings have always been players with little glam about them but a lot of determination. He turned Mista into La Liga's top scorer...

Of course he has his duds, but when he goes to the market, he goes there with a plan. NUFC has had no plan when buying players these past years, besides "value for money".

Most of Rafa's duds were for modest fees anyway (£5million range), so can't fault him too much. They usually still contributed to the squad too. Think his record in the market for Liverpool was pretty good.

:lol: I don't even know why the f*** I googled it, I f***ing knew what you were f***ing implying. God damn it.

Best Part of Roy Evans Wiki remains this:

"By 1998 Evans had successfully assembled a talented nucleus of players, who were particularly impressive going forward and in their attacking football, where Evans had been credited with creating arguably the nation's most exciting and aesthetically pleasing team of the 1990s."

Fuck that, Keegan's entertainers say hello.

Kinda off topic.....anyone got any info in how much in the shit we were when keegan was appointed in '92?  i.e. position and how many points back we were?  Was just before my "time" so can just remember he lost a few of his games but he had more than 10 to save us didn't he? 

We've won 6 league games in the last 18, IIRC. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility to suggest we could win 4 in 10 under RB, maybe even 5. It's imperative we start to at least turn some losses into draws, though; starting tonight!

Feeling cautiously optimistic about Benitez, now. My concerns about McClaren were from a man management point of view and I still have doubts as to whether RB has the charisma to get this lot going (obviously to a much better standard than SMC). His 'follow you' quote sounds good but I'm worried he might be looking at it a bit simplistically. He is used to dealing with proper professionals, after all. I think this challenge might bring a different side out of him, mind, he's probably not had to rely on man management too much in his career because of the calibre of player he's generally dealt with but this could see the other side to him.

The big hope is that his calmness and plan allows the players to be less anxious and naturally more up-for-it. All we need is a bounce, at this point, and I hope his name alone provides that and negates any potential issues that might come if he's not the best at motivating difficult players.

If we stay up, he'll get us a cup in the next 2 years, I'm sure of it.

Most of Rafa's duds were for modest fees anyway (£5million range), so can't fault him too much. They usually still contributed to the squad too. Think his record in the market for Liverpool was pretty good.

Rafa was at Liverpool for 6 years and spent 70 million net.

His last 3 seasons were spent under our first American owners who made him sell to buy. 

Rafa was at Liverpool for 6 years and spent 70 million net.

His last 3 seasons were spent under our first American owners who made him sell to buy.

I suppose it's all relative but, prices now would be much higher than then. I don't care if he buys several duds, if we play good footy and win games then i'll be happy. As he'd have bought some great players as well.

We look tighter and more composed in defence already, however, he missed a trick making Sissoko switch flanks to the left. Siss is barely usable on the right, where his best performances have come for us, he's fucking hopeless on the left. Needs to stick to the right with Janmaat, and leave Perez / Townsend on the left. Mitro also had his usual shocker, and what the fuck was the De Jong / Perez sub?

The overall signs are good, and Benitez would've learned a lot from this game about this group of players today, however, as many of us have felt deep in our hearts about this appointment, it all feels like too little, too late. We finally get a manager like Rafa and give him only 10 games, only two more than we gave Shearer and fucking Dowie, to keep us up. Fuck everyone.

That performance was night and day to anything else we've shown this season away from home, he just needs to find a decent attacking set-up as none of them really worked. Still there were periods of actual attacing pressure from us which is something.

I never expected a result at all but it's a bit of a pisser about the offside (cannot really blame the linesman for that) and the penalty which was waved away.

Dramatic improvement over the utter mess we've been away from home all season. If only we'd had a long break recently so we could given him more than a weekend to prepare for a match, and an easier fixture than the league leaders.

Guest ElCid

Should have been appointed weeks ago, this mistake and the fact that a top quality centre half and forward were not signed will be the reasons at the end of the day why we go down. We didn't look like scoring in a month of Sundays and the one really good chance we had Sissoko fucked up with a shocking ball when all he had to do was roll it to Townsend. We need Cisse back asap as he is the only striker on the books who can put the ball ino the net on a regular basis.

Guest ElCid

Much better performance and, knowing Rafa, he'll analyse the hell out of it. He'll know exactly what worked, what didn't work and how we can improve.

Not bad for three days.

Better defensively certainly no different going forward - hopefully he will sort that out I'm not so sure he has the players though to do that.

As has been said, that performance was lightyears ahead of our typical away performance. The intensity was better, the organisation was better - but you couldn't detect any changes to the style going forward. But that was never going to happen with three days to work on it.

Much better performance and, knowing Rafa, he'll analyse the hell out of it. He'll know exactly what worked, what didn't work and how we can improve.

Not bad for three days.

Better defensively certainly no different going forward - hopefully he will sort that out I'm not so sure he has the players though to do that.

In terms of actual finishing obviously but i think there was differences going forward. I can think of at least 5 moments where we had a chance but scruffed the shot or that ridiculous moment where both Mitrovic and Sissoko ran into each other :lol: Still looked toothless but in terms of actually getting into positions to score it was much better IMO.