Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

For me I'm more nervous about us staying up just because we have him in now and he will be gone should we go down.

I wouldn't mind going down as much if we knew he was going to stay, as I think he could still rebuild us from the championship.

Does anyone know more about this get out clause?  Is it an option for him to leave, or is it the club can cancel the contract?  Or is it just, if we get relegated, he's gone?

I can't see him managing us in the Championship.  But it would be great if he stayed.  He'd help us steady the ship and rebuild.

Read it's a Mutual termination clause should we go down. He said its normal and most clubs probably have it.

Our lack of potency going forward is more down to a lack of confidence than anything else imo. We created several good openings last night - Mitrovic/Sissoko's coming together in the first half, Sissoko's pullback in the second half for Townsend, Perez's shot into the side-netting, Mitro opting to leave Janmaat's cross for de Jong etc - which, at the very least, would have resulted in shots on target had our players been less tentative when it mattered or executed the proper final ball. In that regard, Perez was the only player who should be exempted from any blame. I don't think there is an endemic problem with our attacking play - it's a confidence issue which Rafa should hopefully be able to rectify fairly easily.

We played with a lot more purpose and commitment than under the previous manager. We could easily have got a goal from the chances we created. I have complete faith Rafa is the right man for us. Just hope we can survive so he can get a full season, and hopefully many more, with us.

What are the lyrics to that Rafa song they were singing last night?  Tune's been in me head all day.

Rafa Benitez, Rafa Benitez

Chancel Mbemba, Gini Wijnaldum, Shelvey and Perez

Rafa Benitez, Rafa Benitez.

What are the lyrics to that Rafa song they were singing last night?  Tune's been in me head all day.

Had him less than a week and we've already ruined his fantastic chant by squeezing an extra player in :lol:

To what tune?

Oh when the Saints.

Sounds more like to the tune of La Bamba to me.

Doesn't really fit, but could be sorted.

It does fit.  Liverpool fans used to sing it for him.  We've managed to completely butcher it, though.  Which isn't a surprise when you think about how we've managed to fuck up The Blaydon Races.  It's our song FFS and we sing it too fast and with the wrong words :lol:

Sounds more like to the tune of La Bamba to me.

Doesn't really fit, but could be sorted.

I was joking :lol:

Liverpool used to sing it with three players, so naturally we've butchered it.

:-P fair enough, our lot have over complicated it, to make it virtually unrecognisable. 

Agree with the comments about the Blaydon Races by the way,  annoying as fuck.

Does anyone think he may stay with us if we go down? I know it's absurd to imagine Rafa Benitez as a manager in the Championship but he said himself he see's us as a long term project. I can't see him wanting to manage abroad again as he's been there and done it,plus he turned down offers from abroad before joining us.

I have a slight feeling he would be prepared to stay,as he just doesn't seem the sort of man who could walk away knowing that we would be desperate for stability.

Knowing our luck,it will be Ashley who activates the clause,just so he can pay some shit manager 6k a year.

Does anyone think he may stay with us if we go down? I know it's absurd to imagine Rafa Benitez as a manager in the Championship but he said himself he see's us as a long term project. I can't see him wanting to manage abroad again as he's been there and done it,plus he turned down offers from abroad before joining us.

I have a slight feeling he would be prepared to stay,as he just doesn't seem the sort of man who could walk away knowing that we would be desperate for stability.

Knowing our luck,it will be Ashley who activates the clause,just so he can pay some shit manager 6k a year.

Depends what other offers he has. If he has nothing I think he'll stick around, but I reckon a few teams next season might need new managers.

Man, we so have to survive. This bloke is such a class above everything we've had.

Couldn't agree more.

For me it feels like this could be a watershed for me as a fan. Get relegated and lose Rafa and I think I'm done :(

Mackem Jonathan Wilson's view on Football Weekly is that their only hope of survival is now catching Palace because he thinks Rafa will get us out of it no problem.

He loves to go on about how the whole world revolves around Sunderland are doomed to always be going down and how's he a pompous, albeit knowledgable, arse.