Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Looks like it's D-Day today then although it's unlikely it will be announced.  Rafa is supposedly meeting Charnley today and if we go on past history, talks will break down and pave the way for a Gerry Francis or Paul Jewell type bloke to take over instead.

:wales:

Looks like it's D-Day today then although it's unlikely it will be announced.  Rafa is supposedly meeting Charnley today and if we go on past history, talks will break down and pave the way for a Gerry Francis or Paul Jewell type bloke to take over instead.

:wales:

Words won't even do to describe how pissed off I'd be. Blood's nearly boiling just thinking about it, prepping myself for the let down and rage.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-news-live-rafa-11370636

Where do we stand on Benitez?

Rafa Benitez has had the assurances that he wants and contracts have been drawn up that formalise the arrangement between Newcastle and himself to continue on a three-year contract.

It’s very unlikely to be announced today though. Club continue to work as if it’ll happen soon.

The delay was down to the nitty gritty of the deal being worked out: budgets, the fate of Graham Carr and the formal power lines being redrawn at St James’ Park. It’s unclear at this stage whether Carr and Bob Moncur’s futures will be resolved when the decision is announced formally towards the end of the week.

The only thing that would stop this deal from being done now is if a Premier League club sacks it’s manager and approaches Benitez. Manchester United have done that today, but Jose Mourinho’s taking over. There’s been no interest from Everton.

Some of Benitez’s backroom staff have begun the process of relocating to Newcastle in recent days.

Weekend reports claimed there may still be a role for Carr at the club but whether he has the enthusiasm, at 71, to take a spot on the board when his power has been vastly reduced is another thing.

As for the Chief Scout issue, Frank McParland was still doing business on behalf of Rangers as recently as Friday - so if there’s anything in those links the Ibrox talent spotter isn’t letting it detract from his day job....

I can't remember their being any real indication that Shearer would stay that summer.  No meetings between him and the club and no noises at all from the club suggesting they wanted him.  So while I agree they need to get a move on I don't think its anything like that situation.

apart from the fat c*** releasing a statement saying that asking shearer to be manager was the best move he'd made, despite relegation.

Aye, yet he still didn't so much as return Shearers calls let along have a meeting with him AFAIR, just sound bites for the fans.  This is far more concrete.  If it does go wrong then that's it for me, won't even be following the club anymore, and I hope thousands do the same.

I can't remember their being any real indication that Shearer would stay that summer.  No meetings between him and the club and no noises at all from the club suggesting they wanted him.  So while I agree they need to get a move on I don't think its anything like that situation.

apart from the fat c*** releasing a statement saying that asking shearer to be manager was the best move he'd made, despite relegation.

Aye, yet he still didn't so much as return Shearers calls let along have a meeting with him AFAIR, just sound bites for the fans.  This is far more concrete.  If it does go wrong then that's it for me, won't even be following the club anymore, and I hope thousands do the same.

My understanding was that Shearer had a meeting with them (maybe not Ashley) and outlined his plans for a root and branch reform of the club and what was needed to get them promoted.  An agreement was reached, they shook hands and then he never heard from them again.

I definitely think it was more than a statement and that Shearer thought there was an agreement in place.

My understanding was that Shearer had a meeting with them (maybe not Ashley) and outlined his plans for a root and branch reform of the club and what was needed to get them promoted.  An agreement was reached, they shook hands and then he never heard from them again.

I definitely think it was more than a statement and that Shearer thought there was an agreement in place.

My take on it was that Shearer had done nothing whatsoever in terms of tactical nous or man management to suggest he could manage the club up to that point, and yet still demanded a package for himself and Dowie alone that was bigger than some clubs in that division's total playing and management staff budget.

Like most things with Ashley we'll never know for certain, but that was possibly one of the few decisions he did get right.

My take on it was that Shearer had done nothing whatsoever in terms of tactical nous or man management to suggest he could manage the club up to that point, and yet still demanded a package for himself and Dowie alone that was bigger than some clubs in that division's total playing and management staff budget.

Like most things with Ashley we'll never know for certain, but that was possibly one of the few decisions he did get right.

Don't know anything about Shearer's alleged demands but I do know he showed nothing in those 8 games to suggest he would have been a good appointment.

Will always love the guy as a player but he wasn't good enough to see us safe as a manager and as a pundit I'm not a fan either to be fair.

Just asked Rory Smith on the Times webchat about Rafa (he wrote a book with Rafa I believe) and he said:

"From what I'm told, it's all going quite smoothly. Some brilliant people have intervened to try and get him to stay. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to disseminate it yet, but it's looking like he will."

I never wanted Shearer as a manager, mainly for the reason that I don't want to give absolutely massive jobs to people with no experience or background of success.

KK

I did want Shearer to stay, but I still knew it was going to be a gamble, he had by no means proven he had any ability as a manager.  With Benitez you just know he's top class and will absolutely bring success if given the chance.