Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

True. Even in the premiership last season we raised our game and got good results against manure twice, Liverpool twice, Chelsea and man city whilst losing to Norwich west brom and the mackems

Don't include Liverpool away on that list. The first half performance was as bad as I've seen us play in the top flight then they took their foot right off the pedal. Sure they had a Euro game later that week.

"We need to realise we're now the head of the mouse, and not the tail of the lion. It's a Spanish expression.

"So, when you are in the Premier League, you are the tail of the lion and some people are happy being the tail of the lion, some prefer to be the head of the mouse.

"When you are at the top and strong enough, we want to make sure we are strong enough to be sure that we can manage the games.

"Teams will come against us and wait, so we have to make sure we know what to do every time and, if we make mistakes, we carry on because there are a lot games to play and we need to be consistent in the right way.

"If it's good we can be excited, if it's bad we analyse on what we need to do and improve things quickly.

"The team needs the right mentality. Now is the time to realise it's not a parade. We have to work hard in every single game

"We need to be united, like the name of the team. We need the fans to stick with the team.

"We need to be ready - that means players, staff and fans. We need to be together - United - and that means we can bring the best from every single player.

"We have watched (Saturday's) game, talked with the staff and the players; analysing what was wrong and especially trying to correct things on the pitch.

"After the QPR game, I said that there was plenty of room for improvement. You can see that we are a team that needs to improve and manage the games a little bit better.

"If the players give everything, we have to support them. Then at the end, maybe we can celebrate together.

"Sometimes you have to give players a run to gain the best from momentum, but sometimes you have to change.

"In this case, we will make some changes. I want to keep everyone on their toes and thinking they can help and make a difference."

"We need to realise we're now the head of the mouse, and not the tail of the lion. It's a Spanish expression.

"So, when you are in the Premier League, you are the tail of the lion and some people are happy being the tail of the lion, some prefer to be the head of the mouse.

Love that expression,and I think it applies perfectly to players who look great on the training ground but can't produce in match conditions. Also those who prefer to play without the pressure of a big crowd with big expectations.

If you take out all the times we've come back from behind to get something, we have never come back from behind to get something.

If you don't it's 3 times out of possible 9, unless I missed something.

It was a genuine question, not a dig at him. I was struggling to remember any others if they did exist.

I think we will win.

Really disappointed to hear about the crowd reaction at the weekend, especially after what Benitez said to the lads who went to the training ground.

Every manager, captain or PR whore who is associated with the club will - at some point - make a call to the fans to 'be our 12th man!' It's a fair call, but those words were basically empty ones in the 'pre-Benitez' era. The club was barely worth supporting; to the extent that many fans not only gave up their seat at SJP, but actively wished defeats on the club. The sheer resentment we've witnessed in recent times was not unjustified.

It is different now, though. If Benitez says we need to support the players no matter what, then that's what needs to happen. I'm not in the business of forgiving the club for all of its previous misdemeanours, but the appointment of Benitez and the subsequent culture shift has put me back on the right track, as far as being a supporter goes. I don't blame anyone who hasn't had their fervour fully reignited yet, but if you're buying a ticket then you at least need to subscribe to what's happening now. We need to put the past behind, at least to a certain extent, because we're a club that is trying to get back to the Premier League and I believe, ever since March, those in charge are doing everything they can to ensure that.

St James' Park needs to be a fortress and the fans need to play their part in that. There's absolutely no point in booing the players every time they play shite. It's a brand new collection of players and it will happen. If our home ground becomes a place where our own players are shit-scared of making a mistake then we won't get anywhere. Hopefully a convincing win in front of a reasonably-sized crowd will put to bed everything that happened at the weekend, and we can all just crack the fuck on.

It's been like that for years at home though other than the odd game. The atmosphere at Fulham and Derby especially was as just as good as any away in the last 10 years.

Fulham wasn't that good. Derby was.

Guest firetotheworks

I think it's fair to say that it's the team that has to get the crowd going rather than the other way around. It's not so much support as extremely fragile encouragement.

Guest Howaythetoon

This league really isn't that complicated. I fear Rafa's uber attention to detail, over analysis and over thinking of everything could actually harm our chances of automatic promotion. He needs to ease up on things at home especially. It would be interesting to see how many points we have collected on the road as opposed to at home since he took over or goals scored vs conceded and if we have came back from deficits etc.