Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Rafa will continue to play the current formation and system as he wants to get his players well drilled for it for next season.

He will only consider changing things within a match if we are struggling, or from the start of a match if it looks like our promotion charge is faltering.

If he thinks players can't play in his system he will replace them.

I suspect whilst he wants to win the league, he would choose 2nd place promotion and better preparedness for using his system next year over winning the league under a different system that he would then need to change again next season.

If there's any more than 4 of the current first XI in the starting line up next season (assuming that'll be in the PL) then we're in for another relegation battle.

Rafa will continue to play the current formation and system as he wants to get his players well drilled for it for next season.

He will only consider changing things within a match if we are struggling, or from the start of a match if it looks like our promotion charge is faltering.

I suspect whilst he wants to win the league, he would choose 2nd place promotion and better preparedness for using his system next year over winning the league under a different system that he would then need to change again next season.

If there's any more than 4 of the current first XI in the starting line up next season (assuming that'll be in the PL) then we're in for another relegation battle.

Pretty accurate actually - Darlow, Gayle Clarke(50/50)Shelvey and maybe Yedlin.

Any advance..?

Lascelles, Richie.

Both in the 'Reserved judgment' file right now...and I selected Lascelles as my choice for player of the year so I haven't got any agenda to stand by..he SHOULD be PL standard under Rafa but has wobbled a bit. Ritchie may not be in the role that suits him but Rafa is the boss..

Ideally we would get in 3 or so premiership standard starters in Jan with additional coming in summer. Would hopefully limit disruption but leave us in a good place for the start of the season. Assuming we'll be promoted of course.

Would expect players to be willing to give up 4 months or so to have the opportunity to play for us under Rafa. Would need to move some on though...

Systems don't win matches at the end of the day, it's about having the right players on the day who can make them work. That obviously wasn't the case last week.

Surely it's better to play to a system that is at the strength of your best players, rather than trying to shoehorn players into a system.

A combination of Mitro and Gayle is a much better system than just Gayle in this league where it is extremely physical and full of defensive cloggers.

The running of Gayle as a lone striker will be better suited to the PL where you have 'footballing defenders' who want to fanny about with it and pass it about and he can put them under pressure.

I'd rather have a manager who's clear on what he wants at this stage. One of the things which pissed me off most about Pardew was that he used to change his mind after a couple of defeats. He's done exactly the same at Palace because he didn't have a fucking clue.

I think somebody on here mentioned it a while ago, yes it can be frustrating but Benitez is preparing this team for the long-term and wants everybody to be as familiar as possible with his system for promotion.

Systems don't win matches at the end of the day, it's about having the right players on the day who can make them work. That obviously wasn't the case last week.

Fuck off, Pards.

I think in many respects he's been let down a little by his players available to him in his pivotal role. Despite that we are top of the league. Perez and Diame over the course of the season have not contributed enough, Diame has improved of late though. The flanks have offered little in terms of creativity also, with Ritchie being bang average and practically nothing coming down the left. That's why the loss of Shelvey appears to be hitting us hard, we don't have enough of the other players setting up chances for Gayle.

Having said all that, we really don't have too much to grumble at on 52 just past the halfway point, still on course for the main objective.

Guest neesy111

We've been average in the transfer market with Gayle & Clark the saving graces.

For the money spent on the GK, RM & AM you would expect better but that's football.

Diame didn't cost much considering what we paid for Ritchie.  Agree for the price we paid for Ritchie we should be expecting more.

Guest firetotheworks

Personally think that Sels has been the only poor buy. Everyone else has either been a success, contributed, or is backing up as they should be.