Newcastle United v Sunderland - Sunday 20th March 2016 at 1:30PM (live on Sky)

Andy84

That midfield didn't get overrun against Leicester for the 20 mins or so it was used, if anything Leicesters was.

Obviously it's debatable whether it's something that can apply to a week to week basis but it's not absolutely certain that it would get overrun.

From what I have seen from the first game I doubt any Rafa midfield would get overrun anyway, he cares too much about tactics and general organisation for that to happen.

I think our best chance is to exploit them in the full back positions, they aren't great defensively there.    Townsend and Sissoko will be important.  Their CB's will handle Mitrovic if we lump aimless balls into the box so the link up play between our wide players, Wijnaldum and Perez is going to be crucial.  For an Allardyce team they don't have many shut outs so there is positivity there, the first goal as always is just so important. Get it and we win

That midfield will just get overrun.

Yep, no protection at all in front of the back four which is fragile enough to start with.

Protection from what?  They've only got one half decent player.  I say we go out and try for double figures.

Yep, no protection at all in front of the back four which is fragile enough to start with.

Protection from what?  They've only got one half decent player.  I say we go out and try for double figures.

Even so I'll be amazed if Rafa goes in without a defensive midfielder. You just don't see it in the premier.

Do we reckon Sunderland would take a draw?

Yes, and I think they will play for a draw or hope to catch us on the break late on. If we somehow manage to get an early goal, Sams entire game plan will go out the window.

Even so I'll be amazed if Rafa goes in without a defensive midfielder. You just don't see it in the premier.

Uh? Plenty of teams do it, depends what you're definition of a defensive midfielder is though.

Uh? Plenty of teams do it, depends what you're definition of a defensive midfielder is though.

Give me some examples.

Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City  etc etc.

But i don't consider the likes of Carrick, Can and Fernandinho defensive midfielders personally, to me it's more important that the team as a whole is organised with or without the ball than to have one player with a particular role

I will concede that Shelvey will have to show he's capable of being disciplined enough to not run around like a headless chicken, but it's very possible that we could overrun them and not the other way round if we are organised like we were against Leicester. After all Leicester didn't really overrun us and the only real difference is Anita coming out and it's not like Anita did anything special to prevent Leicester from being able to overrun us.

But i don't consider the likes of Carrick, Can and Fernandinho defensive midfielders personally, to me it's more important that the team as a whole is organised with or without the ball than to have one player with a particular role

I will concede that Shelvey will have to show he's capable of being disciplined enough to not run around like a headless chicken, but it's very possible that we could overrun them and not the other way round if we are organised like we were against Leicester. After all Leicester didn't really overrun us and the only real difference is Anita coming out and it's not like Anita did anything special to prevent Leicester from being able to overrun us.

So why do you think all our previous managers have always had one (and sometimes two) defensive midfielders in the side? Do you think Rafa will be any different? The problem is the likes of Wijnaldum and Shelvey probably aren't going to be as disciplined or combative enough to perform like the players you mentioned. Same goes for Sissoko, he's a big fella but pretty crap at tackling. Colback's a little fella and just as bad.

So why do you think all our previous managers have always had one (and sometimes two) defensive midfielders in the side? Do you think Rafa will be any different? The problem is the likes of Wijnaldum and Shelvey probably aren't going to be as disciplined or combative enough to perform like the players you mentioned. Same goes for Sissoko, he's a big fella but pretty crap at tackling. Colback's a little fella and just as bad.

It's best that we don't pay attention to what the other managers did :lol: I just think the 442 worked quite well for a period against Leicester and they could hardly get out of their own half, just a shame we have absolutely no confidence in front of goal atm, not saying he will do it btw but i see no actual reason why he shouldn't and why it would get overrun.

Don't see why it would be any weaker defensively than Anita protecting the back 4 anyway.