Championship 5-1 Champions League

Disco

So we're the only team to have beaten them by more than one goal this season. :lol:

That's also the only time they've let in more than two goals in the league.

In the league yes, Dortmund did in the Europa but that don't count really as it was Spurs second string, mostly.

It was a proud day as far I'm concerned. If we're going down, that's the way I want to go down. Chalk and cheese from the way we went down last time round and the fans were right to acknowledge Rafa and his flawless leadership.

Spot on.

The atmosphere would have been rancid if McClaren was still here and rightly so.

What a fantastic day; only at Newcastle United, my (non-NUFC supporting) son's first trip to SJP was wonderful Seeing him lost in the moment, joining in with songs ("Dad can you have two favourite teams?"). Last game in PL, such a season of disappointment. Yet such positivity, joy, and sense of togetherness in the ground. Such a f***ing relief from the pervasive negative s**** which characterises my usual experience of all things NUFC. Ignoring the plane (pathetic) accepting where we're at (without shame: 2-0 to the Championship/can we play you every week) players full-on effort. Pint in the sun by the Tyne. I felt proud to be a Geordie, not just the words. Felt it. Rafa if you really want love not money, keep on keeping on. Things could be special again, the smear of shameful s*** scrubbed off the shining core of the club (even if the chief s*** spreader remains in the background).

I feel a true sense of sadness this evening. Even if Rafa stays - which would obviously be a fantastic bonus - it's simply a tragedy what has happened to this club.

I'm not in the business of patting these players on the back, or the fans for that matter, given the state of things, but that was an incredible way to go out. Massive amounts of application and talent, resulting in a deserved demolition of the opposition. We should be in this division, the atmosphere should be like that, and we should be doing well. Not necessarily challenging at the top, but making a giant fist of things, with everyone pulling together.

Like I say, it's an absolute tragedy. Mike Ashley is a piece of shit and the people he employs are not worth a penny. They might have killed this club dead and it's unfair that days like today arrive with us through desperation and mitigating circumstances. God damn those utter pieces of shit.

Didn't watch the game, haven't seen the highlights, only seen the scoreline... I didn't think it was possible to be annoyed by a 5-1 win. Useless fuckers couldn't put 1 past Villa but knock 5 in against Spurs? Bunch of wankers.

If we'd got a good drubbing I could live with the knowledge this group of players just wasn't good enough. A strong win here shows that they are good enough, they just couldn't do it when it mattered. Bottlers, one and all.

Didn't watch the game, haven't seen the highlights, only seen the scoreline... I didn't think it was possible to be annoyed by a 5-1 win. Useless f***ers couldn't put 1 past Villa but knock 5 in against Spurs? Bunch of w*****s.

If we'd got a good drubbing I could live with the knowledge this group of players just wasn't good enough. A strong win here shows that they are good enough, they just couldn't do it when it mattered. Bottlers, one and all.

The players have played most of the season with a shit manager.

Far as I am concerned, really proud of the fans at the game today, tremendous support throughout for a team that has falling so short of what it was capable of. I get the "why support a group of players that haven't given a shit all season" line, I really do, not going to argue with anyone who takes that stance. But I do think they've given us a great chance of Rafa staying with their support, along with our better players who we want to keep, Townsend, a motivated Sissoko, the Gini today that didn't hide and the star of the future in Aarons. If Rafa decides against it, then if nothing else it's sent a message out to other potential managers that if you are good enough you could have a great job here with an appreciative fan base.

Football really is played in the mind – St James’ Park devoted 90 minutes imploring Rafa Benítez to remain as their manager, to which the Spaniard responded by proving precisely why he’s worth the fuss and why Sunderland’s Sam Allardyce was so worried about a manager who arrived fractionally too late to save Newcastle and relegate Sunderland. Freed of the pressure invoked by the fear of relegation, Benítez’s players knew exactly how to adhere to his instructions to deconstruct Tottenham’s so-called high press, courtesy of a blend of patient counter-attacking football – representing a hybrid of the best of Alan Pardew and Steve McClaren. Spurs may have suffered mentally after losing out to Leicester on the title but this was still a tactical masterclass on Benítez’s part.

Louise Taylor man :lol:

Football really is played in the mind – St James’ Park devoted 90 minutes imploring Rafa Benítez to remain as their manager, to which the Spaniard responded by proving precisely why he’s worth the fuss and why Sunderland’s Sam Allardyce was so worried about a manager who arrived fractionally too late to save Newcastle and relegate Sunderland. Freed of the pressure invoked by the fear of relegation, Benítez’s players knew exactly how to adhere to his instructions to deconstruct Tottenham’s so-called high press, courtesy of a blend of patient counter-attacking football – representing a hybrid of the best of Alan Pardew and Steve McClaren. Spurs may have suffered mentally after losing out to Leicester on the title but this was still a tactical masterclass on Benítez’s part.

Louise Taylor man :lol:

:bigi:

She's got competition with another one of her pieces from a few weeks ago

The left-back delivered an incisive dead ball but Newcastle could surely have done better than permit Agüero a free header. Barely believing his luck, the striker – who was a yard or two offside – duly registered his 100th Premier League goal for City and the 22nd of the season.

I feel a true sense of sadness this evening. Even if Rafa stays - which would obviously be a fantastic bonus - it's simply a tragedy what has happened to this club.

I'm not in the business of patting these players on the back, or the fans for that matter, given the state of things, but that was an incredible way to go out. Massive amounts of application and talent, resulting in a deserved demolition of the opposition. We should be in this division, the atmosphere should be like that, and we should be doing well. Not necessarily challenging at the top, but making a giant fist of things, with everyone pulling together.

Like I say, it's an absolute tragedy. Mike Ashley is a piece of s*** and the people he employs are not worth a penny. They might have killed this club dead and it's unfair that days like today arrive with us through desperation and mitigating circumstances. God damn those utter pieces of s***.

It just proves what we and everyone in the game with a modicum of intelligence knows - we're not dead, just in an Ashley-induced coma.  Get the recipe right at this club and the sky's the limit, even after 10 years of mediocrity and mismanagement. Yesterday was a flash back to what this club used to be when we had a manager we loved and a group of talented players who gave everything for the shirt, and it was fucking glorious.

Shame it took relegation and the prospect of losing one of the best managers we've ever had to unite the fans, ignite the passion and motivate the players but it was there for all to see.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there is actually no such thing as 'patient counter-attacking football' :lol: She's absolutely useless like.

12 points in last 6 games.

First time a relegated team has got twelve points in their last six since West Ham in 88/89. It's never been done in the Prem era. We were relegated as bottom that season under Jim Smith. It's also the year Arsenal pipped Liverpool to the title with that Michael Thomas goal.

12 points in last 6 games.

First time a relegated team has got twelve points in their last six since West Ham in 88/89. It's never been done in the Prem era. We were relegated as bottom that season under Jim Smith. It's also the year Arsenal pipped Liverpool to the title with that Michael Thomas goal.

That form over a season would have seen us a comfortable second this year :-(

Even over extrapolating the whole form since Rafa arrived, we'd be sitting 11th. 2 or 3 games earlier and i think we'd have been safe. Nice one thumbhead