Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

But while the transfer budget is small compared to other clubs in the top flight, Newcastle have spent around £40 million and Telegraph Sport understands there is still some money available.

The stumbling point has been the size of the wage bill, with Ashley led to believe that far more players would leave this summer to make room for new arrivals.

That has caused his lieutenant Justin Barnes, drafted into the club to help keep the club’s finances in order in case there was any interest in a takeover this summer, to keep a tight hold of the purse strings, frustrating both Benítez and managing director Lee Charnley.

Newcastle, though, have struggled to find clubs willing to match their asking prices and pay the same wages the unwanted players currently earn at St James’ Park. That has created a log jam and means some targets have moved elsewhere.

Hoping for two more in according to this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/29/newcastle-united-hoping-add-two-new-signings-squad-managerrafael/

Think we've given up on replacing Elliot, which is disappointing.

Said it last week, I think thats understandable while we still have Elliot, Woodman, Darlow and Krul at the club, with Sels still on the books too.

Had they been able to offload Krul and/or Darlow, then I think they would have moved for a keeper.

Guessing the situation is same as outfield players... i.e. need to move wages for non-playing squad members first, and more important than the fees we get for them.

Just hope Jackie boy goes to Hull, and the wages free'd up gives us some room to move and hopefully get a couple (or 3) over the line by Thursday night!

In another sign that the local journos don't know that much, Tagliafico's agent has confirmed we've been in discussions. It's hit a snag...

“There was direct contact with Newcastle, but I see it as complex. I do not see that I can go further in England.

“I do not like to generate expectations without much sense, there are other clear alternatives (one of Spanish football), but since they did not transcend the club we keep them in silence, there are three conversations we will see if they thrive and if they accept them independently.”

Can't decipher if it's complex because of us (standard) or because of England and something to do with a permit.

From Douglas:

A lot of people asking whether NUFC will do any business at all before Thursday’s deadline. Well the simple answer is it depends entirely on whether Newcastle can shift players out - and that’s because Newcastle’s wage budget is (from the club hierarchy’s perspective) too stretched.

Talks back in the summer focused on how much Benitez would have at his disposal and it’s understood that a budget was spoken about over two seasons. Transfer fees were just one part of the budget discussed - the more important factor this summer has been wages. United haven’t been offering the same sort of wages as their Premier League rivals, which is one of the reasons why they’re not in the market for the sort of players we expected them to be.

It’s also another reason why outgoings are so key: NUFC have a lot of players picking up big wages without doing much at the moment.

My understanding is if Hanley goes - this joining Riviere and De Jong - it will free up something approaching £120,000-a-week from a wage budget which has expanded in the last year. That gives NUFC some freedom to bring in an extra player - so let’s see what happens now....

In another sign that the local journos don't know that much, Tagliafico's agent has confirmed we've been in discussions. It's hit a snag...

“There was direct contact with Newcastle, but I see it as complex. I do not see that I can go further in England.

“I do not like to generate expectations without much sense, there are other clear alternatives (one of Spanish football), but since they did not transcend the club we keep them in silence, there are three conversations we will see if they thrive and if they accept them independently.”

Can't decipher if it's complex because of us (standard) or because of England and something to do with a permit.

Could it be something to do with third party ownership or dodgy image rights assignment?

I actually wonder why suddenly all the media are talking about the wage limit like they knew it for a long time, but in fact none of them mention this during last few months.

Hmm, yes indeed. This does seem like a real brain twister.