Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ElCid

The thought of Colback and Shelvey in that mdfield is quite scary. No pace at all and neither can tackle. Apart from the odd 'Hollywood' pass and shot from Shelvey im my opinion they will struggle - desperate for a goal scoring midfield player who can run into the box.

Its the championship, not the champions league. Man, we had an immobile Alan Smith bossing the championship the last time.  :lol: :lol:

Smith bossed the Championship howay man  - I still say play Colback and Shelvey in that central midfield and we will struggle. I know it's the Championship but Shelvey is only half arsed some of the time and Colback is a shocking excuse for a footballer.

The thought of Colback and Shelvey in that mdfield is quite scary. No pace at all and neither can tackle. Apart from the odd 'Hollywood' pass and shot from Shelvey im my opinion they will struggle - desperate for a goal scoring midfield player who can run into the box.

Its the championship, not the champions league. Man, we had an immobile Alan Smith bossing the championship the last time.  :lol: :lol:

Smith bossed the Championship howay man  - I still say play Colback and Shelvey in that central midfield and we will struggle. I know it's the Championship but Shelvey is only half arsed some of the time and Colback is a shocking excuse for a footballer.

At the start of the season not many teams were getting through our midfield.

said the same as el cid a few times, think we need some physicality and athleticism in that midfield personally

said the same as el cid a few times, think we need some physicality and athleticism in that midfield personally

http://e2.365dm.com/13/09/16-9/20/moussa-sissoko-newcastle-united_3004970.jpg?20130917160350

What bothers me is the fact our midfield is a concern, but we've signed like 6 billion midfielders over the past couple of windows so it's the area that shouldn't have ever been an issue.

But, it is what it is.

I wonder who he will go for, if our business isn't done yet.

We have more than enough in midfield to cope with the Championship.

The only two I can see leaving in the near future are Sissoko and maybe Tiote. Which will leave us :

Colback

Anita

De Jong

Shelvey

Aarons

Thauvin

Ameobi

Barlaser

Bigirimarna

Smith

Vukic

Ritchie

No other championship team can match that, other than Villa.

?Horrendous post! De Jong will be crocked most if not all season. Anita and colback are not up to standard in midfield and most the rest are reserves.

Yeah we are short in midfield

I think you're right there, Shelvey and Colback in the middle would provide no energy or legs. Same problem with Anita for that matter, he's strictly a defensive shield in front of the back four only. Got to think that Rafa will be bringing in another midfielder considering Wijnaldum's gone.

What bothers me is the fact our midfield is a concern, but we've signed like 6 billion midfielders over the past couple of windows so it's the area that shouldn't have ever been an issue.

But, it is what it is.

The only two I can see leaving in the near future are Sissoko and maybe Tiote. Which will leave us :

Colback

Anita

De Jong

Shelvey

Aarons

Thauvin

Ameobi

Barlaser

Bigirimarna

Smith

Vukic

Ritchie

?Horrendous post! De Jong will be crocked most if not all season. Anita and colback are not up to standard in midfield and most the rest are reserves.

Its the championship.

Physicality and athleticism isn't the issue, we just have no one with an ability to pass more than 5 yards or has vision to open up defences.

Well it would be an issue as well if we play Shelvey and Colback but I hope that isn't the case. Main issue is our most creative midfielder is Jonjo fucking Shelvey though.

But, it is what it is.

Colback

Anita

De Jong

Shelvey

Aarons

Thauvin

Ameobi

Barlaser

Bigirimarna

Smith

Vukic

Ritchie

Its the championship.

Its not like we're going to be playing semi-professional teams week in week out man, athleticism and creativity are still going to be big factors in this league

Physicality and athleticism isn't the issue, we just have no one with an ability to pass more than 5 yards or has vision to open up defences.

Well it would be an issue as well if we play Shelvey and Colback but I hope that isn't the case. Main issue is our most creative midfielder is Jonjo f***ing Shelvey though.

For the part in bold, Shelvey is a fantastic passer of the ball - it's his mobility and half-arsedness that are the issue.

I'd like to see more of Saivet before writing him off as I think he could potentially be a bit of an all-rounder. From the very little I've seen of him I reckon he should be well ahead of Colback.

Smith was an absolute passenger but we could afford that because the rest of the midfield was mint.

I put together some stats the last time we were down, based upon the away game at Palace that we had wrapped up 2-0 inside about 20 mins. I noticed that Smith swept up absolutely everything that day and Colo and Taylor hardly got a kick. About 15-20 games in I analysed results and goals conceded based upon when that triumvirate were playing compared to when one or more of them were missing. I can't remember the specifics but I think we had only dropped 2 points against West brom on the opening day and had only conceded something like four goals. Whereas our defeats until that point had all come when one of the three were missing, and the goals conceded was much higher.

I'm not saying Smithy was the best player in the world, but the base he gave us so that Nolan et al could get in the box and nick goals was perfect for where we were at that time. After his facial injury over Xmas he never quite recovered that form.

I think we will persist with the 2 in front of the back four as being purely DM's to start with, especially away from home. I don't think we ought to be fretting at the minute like.  Physically I think we have a really good spine for the Championship. 

Tall keeper, a new tall strong CB along with Lascelles and Mbemba, Hayden looks a strong addition who has played in the championship.  Yes purely looking at the side on paper it looks slightly short in terms of out and out attacking quality - Ritchie, Aarons, Shelvey, Perez and the 2 strikers you would think will be the main make up of that.  Undoubtedly we need probably 2 more which would be another striker and an attacking mid but it's more about how we will function as a whole unit. We will go for the same system that we played the back end of the season and it will work imo.

I think we will keep plenty of clean sheets and we have the quality to score goals.  The transfer window is open for another month and I'm sure Rafa will have his squad in place by then to attack the season, it's pretty clear that incomings aren't done.

They aren't up to Premier League standard as midfielders, but they're up to Championship standard.  Last time out we had Smith, Guthrie, Nolan, Butt and Barton.  Smith was even worse then Colback, Nolan was the epitome of a passenger, Butt was completely finished, Guthrie was very lightweight (never good enough to be consistently decent in the Premier League) and Barton was basically our only decent midfielder.

Now I'm not saying we should be overly confident and just assume we have enough because the Championship is shit.  If Sissoko/Tiote leave I'd like to see a good midfielder come in.  But at the same time I'm not going to overate the league and say that the likes of Colback and Anita aren't up to its standard, because frankly its standard is shit.

Tiote in the championship would be like Godzilla in a nursery.

Rafa might be the perfect manager to get him playing at his best again.  If he can instil some positional discipline in him and get him just keeping it simple like he did when he first arrived here he could be a very important player for us again.

Think we still need another CM with a bit of creativity and a willingness to break forward like Rob Lee used to though.  I don't think Shelvey can do that job, he seems to like to sit too deep and, in all honesty, seems a bit lazy.

He's 32?.. very short term fix. I suspect Rafa will see it this way and for an important position like CM.. he may wait until we are promoted to go and sign a top class player.. someone we basically couldn't get right now. So for time being.. he won't get a better player than Tiote for that position.

A bird in the hand etc..

But, it is what it is.

Colback

Anita

De Jong

Shelvey

Aarons

Thauvin

Ameobi

Barlaser

Bigirimarna

Smith

Vukic

Ritchie

Hayden too.

Yep, Even Shola injured for much had his best scoring season ever,in a much more competitive league,than the one that awaits us.

But, it is what it is.

Colback

Anita

De Jong

Shelvey

Aarons

Thauvin

Ameobi

Barlaser

Bigirimarna

Smith

Vukic

Ritchie

Hayden too.

Hayden is listed as a defender??

Played as a central midfielder for Hull last season.

Nufc.com have listed him as a defender.#

So if that's Hayden as our DM, then that leaves the rest vying for CM roles and we already can guess who the wingers will be.

Plenty of capacity to cope with the Championship. 

Easier said than done but there is so much s*** to shift, the squad is massive.  Gouffran, Sameobi, Riviere, Bigi, Vukic.  Huge question marks over the likes of Haidara, Saivet, De Jong and Thauvin.  Would be great to just bin the lot of them to free up numbers.  Carrying all these must have a bearing on our ability to bring players in.

Easier said than done but there is so much s*** to shift, the squad is massive.  Gouffran, Sameobi, Riviere, Bigi, Vukic.  Huge question marks over the likes of Haidara, Saivet, De Jong and Thauvin.  Would be great to just bin the lot of them to free up numbers.  Carrying all these must have a bearing on our ability to bring players in.

I'd be happy to give those lot a shot under Rafa, provided Haidara & SDJ can stay fit.

I do feel that Saivet has something to offer though, based on what I think his attributes are and nowt else.