Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I reckon Alan Smith was more mobile than Colback tbh. I don't recall him having to pull players down to stop them getting away from him. Horrendous footballer, but probably a better tackler than ginger.

Also, the midfield trio of Nolan, Smith and Barton might have been slow, but they could all put their foot in. Even Nolan would drop back and defend when we lost possession. Colback and Shelvey are both far worse in that department.

Shelvey absolutely merked the Championship, the last time he was in it, iirc. Was better than a goal every other game :lol:

He's by far the best midfielder in the league, as long as he's got the right partner and motivated. He managed to bag a few assists for us last season, as well as play some pretty key passes in moves for us too, and that was him being unproductive.

What bothers me is the fact our midfield is a concern, but we've signed like 6 billion midfielders over the past couple of windows so it's the area that shouldn't have ever been an issue.

But, it is what it is.

I wonder who he will go for, if our business isn't done yet.

We have more than enough in midfield to cope with the Championship.

The only two I can see leaving in the near future are Sissoko and maybe Tiote. Which will leave us :

Colback

Anita

De Jong

Shelvey

Aarons

Thauvin

Ameobi

Barlaser

Bigirimarna

Smith

Vukic

Ritchie

No other championship team can match that, other than Villa.

😂Horrendous post! De Jong will be crocked most if not all season. Anita and colback are not up to standard in midfield and most the rest are reserves.

Yeah we are short in midfield

Its the championship.

its extremely foolish naive and frankly disrespectful some of these comments on here about the standard of this league its a difficult league to get out of and should not be under estimated just ask Boro,Bolton,Coventry,Sheff wed,blackburn, all established poem teams in 90s and can't get back well apart from Boro

we need creativity and goals from the midfield and we are desperately short on it. Some people on here are in for a shock if they think we are just going to walk this league

these teams aren't pub sides they aren't going to roll over and die for us....wake up people

😂Horrendous post! De Jong will be crocked most if not all season. Anita and colback are not up to standard in midfield and most the rest are reserves.

They aren't up to Premier League standard as midfielders, but they're up to Championship standard.  Last time out we had Smith, Guthrie, Nolan, Butt and Barton.  Smith was even worse then Colback, Nolan was the epitome of a passenger, Butt was completely finished, Guthrie was very lightweight (never good enough to be consistently decent in the Premier League) and Barton was basically our only decent midfielder.

....and Barton only played 15 games that season.

What bothers me is the fact our midfield is a concern, but we've signed like 6 billion midfielders over the past couple of windows so it's the area that shouldn't have ever been an issue.

But, it is what it is.

I wonder who he will go for, if our business isn't done yet.

We have more than enough in midfield to cope with the Championship.

The only two I can see leaving in the near future are Sissoko and maybe Tiote. Which will leave us :

Colback

Anita

De Jong

Shelvey

Aarons

Thauvin

Ameobi

Barlaser

Bigirimarna

Smith

Vukic

Ritchie

No other championship team can match that, other than Villa.

Its the championship.

its extremely foolish naive and frankly disrespectful some of these comments on here about the standard of this league its a difficult league to get out of and should not be under estimated just ask Boro,Bolton,Coventry,Sheff wed,blackburn, all established poem teams in 90s and can't get back well apart from Boro

we need creativity and goals from the midfield and we are desperately short on it. Some people on here are in for a shock if they think we are just going to walk this league

these teams aren't pub sides they aren't going to roll over and die for us....wake up people

That's some bad examples to pick :lol:  Boro, Bolton and Coventry are all skint (Bolton have debts of £200m) and Blackburn are run by a bunch of mentalist chicken farmers.  Sheff Wed are doing alright, like.  They're bouncing back after their fall from grace and are under new owners now but the turnover for the whole club is still about half what we just sold one player for.

I don't know how anyone can still think the championship is hard to get out of when even Sunderland coasted out of it last time they went down. Our squad is so much better than the rest in that division it isn't even a contest. Obviously the players will have to put the hard yards in, but guess what? We've got one of the best managers in the game to make sure they do just that. :lol:

i think your creativity in that league comes from the likes of aarons, perez, ritchie, gayle etc. with the obvious passing quality of shelvey to back it up

as long as the players we have in the middle are able to compete physically and also help retain possession we'll be fine, which is why i'm so concerned about colback

also want to see more of saivet, i liked the very little i saw of him and think he could displace the ginger buffoon if given a decent chance

Said this several times already but someone has to get them ball and in areas of the pitch where they can be effective without having to dribble 20 yards before you get close to the penalty area like Ben Arfa used to.

Being physically competent and able to retain possession will be pointless, if the attacking players are forced to come really deep because our midfielders are not good enough to put them into positions where can cause problems.

Said this several times already but someone has to get them ball and in areas of the pitch where they can be effective without having to dribble 20 yards before you get close to the penalty area like Ben Arfa used to.

Being physically competent and able to retain possession will be pointless, if the attacking players are forced to come really deep because our midfielders are not good enough to put them into positions where can cause problems.

so what type of midfielder are you talking about then?  considering we have shelvey in the squad

That can be achieved with good movement and this is where Rafa's coaching will come in. You can have the best dribblers in the world but it's not as effective as quick one touch passing and plenty of movement off the ball.

That can be achieved with good movement and this is where Rafa's coaching will come in. You can have the best dribblers in the world but it's not as effective as quick one touch passing and plenty of movement off the ball.

exactly, i don't expect the team to stand around in the old rigid pardew table football style formations, good movement and quality on the ball will be enough in that division as long as we can win and retain the ball sufficiently

That's true and it translates to any level. Bournemouth have proved that in the Premiership. No outstanding individuals but good passing and movement off the ball. Am a big fan of Eddie Howe and it was obvious from the early part of the season that they had enough to stay up. Had they not been crippled by injuries early on they would have finished even higher. Expect them to kick on next year.

so what type of midfielder are you talking about then?  considering we have shelvey in the squad

Shelvey by himself isn't enough, we need more than that. Same sort of type but hopefully someone who is better if not more consistent.

Basically at the moment we are asking Shelvey to be the creative source from midfield all season long, we need more than just Shelvey.

Shelvey by himself isn't enough, we need more than that. Same sort of type but hopefully someone who is better if not more consistent.

Basically at the moment we are asking Shelvey to be the creative source from midfield all season long, we need more than just Shelvey.

were danny drinkwater and kante particularly creative for Leicester last year out of interest?

EDIT: more to the point if they indeed were getting good assists stats and so on would you have pegged either of them for it at the start?

i'm with what Tron said like