Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gini is a good player of a calibre we should be pleased to see playing for NUFC. Ridiculous to state otherwise.

Makes me wonder if our relegation season might just have been a bad dream when I read comments like this.  Yes he's got a lot of quality, for the right side in the right role he's very good.  But I'm in no hurry to bring back a lad that I was desperate to see dropped at times in our relegation season.  He was fucking awful for big portions of that season, including the time Rafa managed us in the Premier League.

Gini is a good player of a calibre we should be pleased to see playing for NUFC. Ridiculous to state otherwise.

Makes me wonder if our relegation season might just have been a bad dream when I read comments like this.  Yes he's got a lot of quality, for the right side in the right role he's very good.  But I'm in no hurry to bring back a lad that I was desperate to see dropped at times in our relegation season.  He was fucking awful for big portions of that season, including the time Rafa managed us in the Premier League.

Aye it's very strange. He was an utter disgrace for us. The only player who didn't give his all under Rafa and that says a lot about him

Sounds quite similar to McCarthy but about £20m cheaper.

Nah McCarthy is actually a very good midfielder defensively. He tends to hide when his team is in possession though, never seems to want a pass, even though he is decent technically so perhaps that could be worked on. Clucas from what I saw wasn't great defensively but was always making himself an option for a pass off the ball

Eamonn Dunphy in the Irish media called him a waste of space and all but suggested he'd conspired to get his manager (Martinez) sacked.

Even if there's a snippet of truth in that I'd stay well clear

Eamonn Dunphy makes a living from talking and writing s*** [emoji38] I absolutely love him but he really doesn't have a clue. Martinez loved McCarthy

This. Martinez's Everton with McCarthy in it were excellent by and large. It was only when he was out injured for a while that the wheels come off.

Guest neesy111

Nah McCarthy is actually a very good midfielder defensively. He tends to hide when his team is in possession though, never seems to want a pass, even though he is decent technically so perhaps that could be worked on. Clucas from what I saw wasn't great defensively but was always making himself an option for a pass off the ball

Eamonn Dunphy in the Irish media called him a waste of space and all but suggested he'd conspired to get his manager (Martinez) sacked.

Eamonn Dunphy makes a living from talking and writing s*** [emoji38] I absolutely love him but he really doesn't have a clue. Martinez loved McCarthy

This. Martinez's Everton with McCarthy in it were excellent by and large. It was only when he was out injured for a while that the wheels come off.

Everton fans I speak to say the reason the wheels fell off was because Martinez was useless and couldn't organise a defence for love or money.  McCarthy is a good player though.

Aye it's very strange. He was an utter disgrace for us. The only player who didn't give his all under Rafa and that says a lot about him

Yet you keep defending Moussa Sissoko :lol:

Everton fans I speak to say the reason the wheels fell off was because Martinez was useless and couldn't organise a defence for love or money.  McCarthy is a good player though.

They weren't saying that when McCarthy was in the team and they were fighting for top four. It was when he got injured in his second season and they were defensively more open that the criticism was levelled at Martinez. Fairly so to some level but I seem to recall he lost Baines and Jagielka to various medium term injuries whilst Mori's was adjusting to life in the league also which compounded his demise there.

I think McCarthy is a good player but they upgraded to Schneiderlin, making McCarthy an unaffordable and cash-inable backup. I reckon he'll be sold as the deadline approaches but not for 25M. I think he'll be on wages that the clubs most likely to buy him are unable to pay.

There appears to be some fracas about him getting injured or something on international duty, and that seems to have turned lots of people against him.

Guest neesy111

They weren't saying that when McCarthy was in the team and they were fighting for top four. It was when he got injured in his second season and they were defensively more open that the criticism was levelled at Martinez. Fairly so to some level but I seem to recall he lost Baines and Jagielka to various medium term injuries whilst Mori's was adjusting to life in the league also which compounded his demise there.

You can easily say the same about Pardew when we were in the same position as them a few years before. 

I think Everton fans have better judgement than us on their matters, we as NUFC fans don't like it when other fans say stuff about why we should had kept pardew etc as he was apparently doing a good job, can't have it both ways.

Hate it when people use Sissoko's 'lack of talent' for an excuse for his shockingly shit displays where he completely went missing too.

I mean the Bournemouth game alone was much worse than Gini ever did and was an utter disgrace.

Sissoko was a very average footballer, but he also went missing. Gini's efforts in his games where he did show up contributed about a hundred million times more than Sissoko did all season.

Either way, they are both insufferable arseholes.

You can easily say the same about Pardew when we were in the same position as them a few years before. 

I think Everton fans have better judgement than us on their matters, we as NUFC fans don't like it when other fans say stuff about why we should had kept pardew etc as he was apparently doing a good job, can't have it both ways.

Martinez got 5th playing an exciting brand of football. Never deliberately try to sell their best players in public but instead built them up in public and wasn't complicate in making their football club something where you shouldn't dare to dream or enjoy cup runs.

An attacking style of football can always be open to easy criticism of defending, we had that with KK despite our defensive records. Yes the wheels come off at Everton and he'll of made mistakes. I'm just giving a more level headed reason why they came off and highlighting why we would be looking at someone like McCarthy if he's still the same player after his injury.

The same Everton fans were bombarding the radio stations wanting rid of Koeman this season when they went on a bad run.

There's a lot of fickle fans at every club. The trick is to work out which ones aren't and converse with them for their opinion. A sensible fan should be able to give a good assessment on another club as sometimes a bit of distance makes thinks clearer at times.

Makes me wonder if our relegation season might just have been a bad dream when I read comments like this.  Yes he's got a lot of quality, for the right side in the right role he's very good.  But I'm in no hurry to bring back a lad that I was desperate to see dropped at times in our relegation season.  He was f***ing awful for big portions of that season, including the time Rafa managed us in the Premier League.

Yes he was inconsistent, it was his first PL season and he played for a poor team. Yet he scored 11 goals from midfield. Not too shabby.

Guest reefatoon

They were both shite. Can we just forget about the pair of them and concentrate on all our transfer links  . . . . . oh wait.

This is total rubbish tbh mate.

Martinez is a terrible manager, ridiculously stubborn and arrogant in sticking with the same rigid tactics that do not work. Completely incapable of coaching a defence or organising a team. He didn't even practice attacking or defending set pieces in training, which was blatantly obvious on the pitch. His first season was a success because he inherited Moyes' defence which was rock solid and had been one of the best in the league for donkeys years. Within 12 months he had completely ruined it and we were a farce at the back. His downfall was nothing to do with McCarthy or injuries.

As for McCarthy, he's not much of a passer and doesn't get forward enough when the game opens up for him but he can be excellent at breaking up play and has a good engine. He was really good for us in his first season. Second and third seasons he was rubbish whenever he played between injuries. Last season, he struggled with injuries again but was good when he played. Seemed to regain his form under Koeman. He'd be good to keep as a back-up/rotation player but is probably too valuable not to cash in on and he earns about 50k a week.

Something Newcastle fans will have to get used to if you sign McCarthy is the whole Irish circus. O'Neill and Keane have rushed him back from injury two or three times now, causing him to break down again. When Koeman complains about this, they then slag Everton off in the media. The good thing about selling him would be never having to read another article about the latest nonsense from that pair of pricks.

Makes me wonder if our relegation season might just have been a bad dream when I read comments like this.  Yes he's got a lot of quality, for the right side in the right role he's very good.  But I'm in no hurry to bring back a lad that I was desperate to see dropped at times in our relegation season.  He was f***ing awful for big portions of that season, including the time Rafa managed us in the Premier League.

Yes he was inconsistent, it was his first PL season and he played for a poor team. Yet he scored 11 goals from midfield. Not too shabby.

4 in one game against a team that went on to be relegated, and 2 in the final game when we were already relegated. Yeah real contributor that one.

4 in one game against a team that went on to be relegated, and 2 in the final game when we were already relegated. Yeah real contributor that one.

I'm not going to repeat myself. Look, it was easy to see his qualities when on top of his game. Has done well for Liverpool. He's a good player, period.

Yet you keep defending Moussa Sissoko [emoji38]

Sissoko generally didn't go missing, he just isn't very good. Also put in a massive effort under Rafa

Guest firetotheworks

I've seen jellyfish with more backbone tbh. He was an absolute disgrace for the majority of that season and it had very little to do with his talent.

I'm not going to repeat myself. Look, it was easy to see his qualities when on top of his game. Has done well for Liverpool. He's a good player, period.

Of course, but that's not the point you were making. You said :

Of course he's a good player. Calibre is a broad term, and if you'd said just 'ability' then I wouldn't have argued. His character and thus his contribution to the cause was shocking, and abundantly clear when he couldn't even be arsed when Rafa Benitez took over. It's entirely ridiculous to suggest that people would want players of that calibre here again.