Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're absolutely shite at developing players, which is amazing considering Mike Ashley's whole "vision" was about pumping money into the academy and nurturing players that was as opposed to spending money on the first team.

Even ignoring the penny wise, pound foolish mentality of doing so - it's more than that. It sets an extremely negative image of the club and is pretty disgraceful IMO. The exact kind of thing that simply should not be happening with Rafa here.

Agreed. 6million is pennies. We shouldn't sell our top prospects. It's small time and a disgrace frankly.

Guest neesy111

Everton signed John Stones for £3 million as a 19 year old and 3 years later had sold him for £50 million.

Even ignoring the penny wise, pound foolish mentality of doing so - it's more than that. It sets an extremely negative image of the club and is pretty disgraceful IMO. The exact kind of thing that simply should not be happening with Rafa here.

This.  100%.

Guest neesy111

Maybe be the kid wants to go, could be if we don't take the offered fee, it'll go to a tribunal and we'd get less.

It's not the money that's the issue, it's the fact he wants to go.  If someone is highly rated, we shouldn't be letting go of them period.

Guest palnese

Brilliant fee that.

Seriously?

Yes, for a kid whom most likely would never make it here I think it's a great fee.

Guest neesy111

Brilliant fee that.

Seriously?

Yes, for a kid whom most likely would never make it here I think it's a great fee.

I would rather we tried to develop him than get a shit fee for him.  You must think like Mike Ashley if you judge our club and players on pure monetary value?

Maybe be the kid wants to go, could be if we don't take the offered fee, it'll go to a tribunal and we'd get less.

It's not the money that's the issue, it's the fact he wants to go.

Aye i know but that'll happen at most clubs. It's not as if we have a stream of kids wanting out. I suppose attention is drawn to this kid because he's so highly thought of and the fee being discussed., but at 16 that means nowt as we've seen ourselves, with some of our buys.

He could be good, could turn out mediocre. You just never know.

True, we've been shite at developing players, would hope that would change with Rafa though. Depressing that a local lad seemingly wants to leave.

That's the worst part, although it could be the agent in his ear telling he'll get paid far more elsewhere. Unfortunately hometown clubs mean nowt anymore when big money is waved at a local player.

The main problem is not 'developing' players, our academy intake is always poor because the best kids choose to join other clubs. Including Sunderland and Boro. That's the main reason we produce so little, not what happens between the ages of 17 and 21, although that doesn't help.

There's absolutely no reason why a 17 year old kid who's supposedly valued at £6 million wouldn't make it here.

True, we've been shite at developing players, would hope that would change with Rafa though. Depressing that a local lad seemingly wants to leave.

That's the worst part, although it could be the agent in his ear telling he'll get paid far more elsewhere. Unfortunately hometown clubs mean nowt anymore when big money is waved at a local player.

Based on recent history Everton is just a much better club at developing and giving young players chances. Could easily be nothing to do with money

Guest palnese

Brilliant fee that.

Seriously?

I would rather we tried to develop him than get a shit fee for him.  You must think like Mike Ashley if you judge our club and players on pure monetary value?

All I know is that we hardly produce any decent footballers at this football club no matter how highly rated they have been. 

Things might change under Rafa, but that will take time. Gibson's 17. He's not got the time to wait for us to become a proper club again, with a proper youth setup. If he wants to make it in the game he's got a much, much better chance at Everton. Sad state, but that's the way it currently is, imo.

I'd be more dissapointed if someone like Longstaff or Roberts, who I've actually seen and know enough about to be excited, left. Gibson's being hyped at 16. So was Adam Campbell.

Neither of them will make it here, neither are involved in the England set up. This kid is highly rated in the England set-up - hence the fact other clubs want him and are willing to pay £££.