Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Then why are accepting the fee then and instead of going to tribunal?  Most tribunal fees go up, unless as usual we are bothered about taking the cash and then running.

Because we need to stay up this season and Rafa can probably use the money?

If we are desperate for £6m in todays climate, then we really have financial issues as a club.

Firstly, you've made an assumption that choosing 6m over a 17 year old equals desperation, you don't know that. Secondly, we have well established financial issues, the chief one is Mike Ashley.

I'm not saying I approve of this sale, I've never seen the lad play and I agree with those saying that we should hold on to local talent. But we know that there are limits to how much Rafa can spend, and it's fair to assume that incoming transfer money is added to the pot. That being the case I can see the logic in taking the money, given the circumstances. Especially considering the report in the chron yesterday which stated that he'd turned down our contract offer.

Guest taps01

He can't leave for free regardless of his contract situation.  We'all get a few million if he leaves next season. We are talking an extra 2-3million.

He can't leave for free but I'm sure I read somewhere that he can still leave this summer regardless of him having a year left on his contract.

http://www.football-espana.net/65225/everton-will-trigger-viera-clause

The former Valencia and Rayo Vallecano player rejoined his hometown club in 2014 and has netted 24 league goals in three campaigns, with Newcastle United also said to be interested.

Ryan will be jizzing himself. Doubt there's much in this, though.

:lol:

Just seen this.

Not even sure how he'd do in England, he plays the game at his own speed and pretty much just controls the game how he sees fit. I don't know it he's the sort of no.10 that we need if we are sticking to a similar shape to last year.

Las Palmas would be fucked if he does leave though so possibly better for both parties he just stays where he is.

I've said this on Twitter, but if Lewis Gibson is 'highly rated' by NUFC, and considering Rafa is trying to change the whole club with a better quality youth team etc, why wasnt he in the first team last season?

He's 16. But so was Ryan Sessegnon, who played 25 league games for Fulham. Gibson didnt make a cup squad, where we played Findlay, Barlaser, El-Mhanni and I think even Curtis Good featured at Oxford.

£6m for an unproven 17 year old is silly money. It might turn out we should have kept him and could have fetched £50m for him in 5 or 6 years time, but he could also turn out to be another John Bostock, who was meant to be the next big thing, and ended up playing in minor European leagues.

Like someone said above there, we thought getting Gosling for free would be great, but it wasn't. We'll see in a few year whether or not it's a good move, but for now I don't think there should be any tears.

I think the fee has played a big part in people's perceptions of this deal to be fair.

Having read what people have written, I don't think anybody is actually 'advocating' the sale of this lad but I don't recall many discussions on this board about him in the past. All of a sudden, Everton have stuck a £6m offer in and there's outrage that we're letting him go and the Chron are reporting that he's a 'defensive whizz kid'. I get that when things like that happen it does make you wonder how good this kid can be but for a 16/17 year old who has never featured for the first team - even in the second tier or cup ties - it's crazy money to turn down.

It’s never nice to lose highly-rated youngsters but £6m is utterly mental money for a kid who has never played senior football!

Here’s hoping he turns out like the ‘wonder-kid’ we pinched from them!

It’s never nice to lose highly-rated youngsters but £6m is utterly mental money for a kid who has never played senior football!

Here’s hoping he turns out like the ‘wonder-kid’ we pinched from them!

It's mental now, but if he even turns out to be even decent it's fuck all.

Guest firetotheworks

It's really not silly money anymore either, particularly when you then go to spend it and find that that'll get you someone like Grant Hanley.

It's really not silly money anymore either, particularly when you then go to spend it and find that that'll get you someone like Grant Hanley.

Not a chance we'll get anywhere near £6m for Hanley.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm talking about how much we bought him for, which was just under £6m

I'm talking about how much we bought him for, which was just under £6m

Correct

Or it could be the difference between signing or not signing a new centre forward.

Or it could be the difference between signing or not signing a new centre forward.

I highly, highly doubt that.