Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For those using this as a way to bash the club by the way and using is an indication of where the club is, when have we ever lost an academy player to another club like this? This looks very much a one-off.

It won't be the way football is going.

I'm with Beautiful Day on this one. If it starts getting a common theme then I'll worry, but up to now this is definitely unique as far as Newcastle are concerned.

Because of his age, he is only on scholarship terms, rather than a professional contract with the Magpies.

This means he is free to leave for a compensation fee, but more importantly, is free to talk with other clubs as he hasn’t signed professional terms at Newcastle.

The Magpies have made Gibson a contract offer but he is free to leave for Everton, should he decide to.

From the chron.

Fair enough then. Still a shame that he apparently doesn't want to stay though, whatever the reason.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see if it's just down to £££ or if its something else.

Might have to do with NUFC and Everton's divergent outcomes when it comes to developing prospects, coupled with the fact that Everton are a better-run club.

A small lashing of this with a major helping of a 16 year old with a snidey agent craving every possible penny.

Surprisingly his agent had recommended he stay for at least another couple of years.

His elder brother has been frustrated at lack of a path to the first team squad due to signings like Lazaar and may well have influenced his decision.

Everton are very aggressive in the youth market, sometimes borderline. Everyone at Newcastle will have wanted to keep him but if his mind was made up there's not much they can do about it.

I'll say one thing about this kid potentially going to Everton. If there was PL team to choose as a developing youngster they're the place to be atm if you ask me. Good enough you'll get a chance and you'll keep your place if you maintain it. He could be in their first team within 2 years, stay with us I'd say that's very unlikely.

The next Beaumont and that other kid.

"Further to his interest in journalism, he also took an interest in Minor Counties cricket, becoming an ice cream vendor at matches on occasion."

Shame we let that Beaumont kid go imo, could have done a decent job for us.

Never want to lose our best talents, but it's no different to the likes of Fabregas etc. It's no slight on our club that money talks - it happens no matter who you are, and agents will always take the money, and the players will always take the supposed playing benefits. Look at Michael Keane, Paul Pogba for slightly older versions...

Guest neesy111

I'll say one thing about this kid potentially going to Everton. If there was PL team to choose as a developing youngster they're the place to be atm if you ask me. Good enough you'll get a chance and you'll keep your place if you maintain it. He could be in their first team within 2 years, stay with us I'd say that's very unlikely.

Everton have given their youngsters a chance, but is that through choice or necessity?  They seem to be building up a bigger squad now, so won't their youngsters get less of a chance?

Because of his age, he is only on scholarship terms, rather than a professional contract with the Magpies.

This means he is free to leave for a compensation fee, but more importantly, is free to talk with other clubs as he hasn’t signed professional terms at Newcastle.

The Magpies have made Gibson a contract offer but he is free to leave for Everton, should he decide to.

From the chron.

Fair enough then. Still a shame that he apparently doesn't want to stay though, whatever the reason.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see if it's just down to £££ or if its something else.

Might have to do with NUFC and Everton's divergent outcomes when it comes to developing prospects, coupled with the fact that Everton are a better-run club.

A small lashing of this with a major helping of a 16 year old with a snidey agent craving every possible penny.

Surprisingly his agent had recommended he stay for at least another couple of years.

His elder brother has been frustrated at lack of a path to the first team squad due to signings like Lazaar and may well have influenced his decision.

Everton are very aggressive in the youth market, sometimes borderline. Everyone at Newcastle will have wanted to keep him but if his mind was made up there's not much they can do about it.

Cheers for the insight :thup:

Guest neesy111

From the chron.

I actually was very unimpressed at the chances rafa give the U21's last season, so I'm guessing this might have a part.

Everton have given their youngsters a chance, but is that through choice or necessity?  They seem to be building up a bigger squad now, so won't their youngsters get less of a chance?

That remains to be seen but I get the feeling they're intentionally doing it and will continue to do so. They've always produced quality kids, I suspect it's going to be a hallmark of what they try to build now they have money as well.

Guest neesy111

That remains to be seen but I get the feeling they're intentionally doing it and will continue to do so. They've always produced quality kids, I suspect it's going to be a hallmark of what they try to build now they have money as well.

Time will tell.

Time will tell.

Absolutely. I really hope they do like. No real love for Everton but it would be great to see a PL team with cash commit to their youth setup in that way.

I don't think anyone is advocating a youngster leaving, I just think people are willing to accept that the club might have just tried to make the best out of a winless situation where the youngster in question has a desire to leave.

Accept a fee now and put in some decent clauses or let him go for free and riak getting next to nothing.

We've kept many players here recently who have wanted to jump ship, a lot of them participated in our relegation. Forcing him to see out his scholarship when he's made it clear he's going by rejecting our offers is pointless.

It's quite clear that nobody is advocating losing our best youngsters. Everyone wants us to be offering an attractive academy to them and to be able to offer them the best wages.

It's disappointing to lose this lad, and I value massively having local lads in the team. If a young lad wants to f*** off for the money though, there's only so much that can be done.

This.

People are confusing two different arguments.

Hopefully in the future the club is run in a way a local player wouldn't contemplate moving.

Agree that it's not one thing or the other, but I still think it's a shame that a club of our stature can't hang onto players wanting to go to Everton, not Barca or Man City or something, and we've become desensitised to the sham that that should be viewed as.

Have I missed something about him having his head turned by money btw?

Apparently he's free to leave via us agreeing a fee with Eveton or it going to tribunal.  For me, we should be going to tribunal even as a statement that we aren't happy that he is leaving, who f***ing cares if we get £2m less ffs.

Liverpool echo reporting that the fee is in excess of £6mill, http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-bid-accepted-newcastle-united-13357581

Guest neesy111

I don't think anyone is advocating a youngster leaving, I just think people are willing to accept that the club might have just tried to make the best out of a winless situation where the youngster in question has a desire to leave.

Accept a fee now and put in some decent clauses or let him go for free and riak getting next to nothing.

We've kept many players here recently who have wanted to jump ship, a lot of them participated in our relegation. Forcing him to see out his scholarship when he's made it clear he's going by rejecting our offers is pointless.

It's quite clear that nobody is advocating losing our best youngsters. Everyone wants us to be offering an attractive academy to them and to be able to offer them the best wages.

It's disappointing to lose this lad, and I value massively having local lads in the team. If a young lad wants to f*** off for the money though, there's only so much that can be done.

This.

People are confusing two different arguments.

Hopefully in the future the club is run in a way a local player wouldn't contemplate moving.

Agree that it's not one thing or the other, but I still think it's a shame that a club of our stature can't hang onto players wanting to go to Everton, not Barca or Man City or something, and we've become desensitised to the sham that that should be viewed as.

Have I missed something about him having his head turned by money btw?

Apparently he's free to leave via us agreeing a fee with Eveton or it going to tribunal.  For me, we should be going to tribunal even as a statement that we aren't happy that he is leaving, who f***ing cares if we get £2m less ffs.

Liverpool echo reporting that the fee is in excess of £6mill, http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-bid-accepted-newcastle-united-13357581

So around £6m.  Righteo.

Guest neesy111

Hope he does well as it'll show the club that investing in academic​ players and ensuring they stay at and club and do well is s very important part of the club.

Our fans on Twitter seem to think he's s**** as he's not able to dislodge Dummett from the starting XI, so I guess we're okay letting him go.

Is it not his older brother Liam, who is a LB?

Our fans are thick as fuck.

For Gibson, I hope there is a sell-on clause. It sounds a bit crap that other clubs are free to tap up schoolboys, but that must be the way it is. I wonder what will happen when the next obvious starlet like Wayne Rooney comes along. The tap-up schoolboys rule and loans system in combination mean that larger clubs can hoover up all the promising kids, give them golden hellos when they are old enough to sign pro forms, and then just loan em out so that they end up playing at the level they should be at anyway.

Everton are way ahead of us as a club, loaning and signing Lukaku for 28M should have shown that, but even they haven't stopped Ross Barkley engineering a situation entirely to his own benefit. So it can happen to the best of them. Imagine if we had a new star and he got himself down to a year on his deal. People would be calling the club all sorts.

'Juicy 6m' ffs.  Its pennies. 

He can't leave for free anyway. We would get money from a tribunal when his contract runs out. 

He's a leftback.  Leave a contract on the table.  Have him as back-up to Dummett if he's a LB.  Get him some game time. 

Would rather gamble with him than sell him now.  Losing our youngsters to Everton? Jesus wept. 

I don't understand the reaction.  Where are you guys in Arma thread?  Why is Arma not getting any support to take a shot in first team?

Fucking horrible double standards.

While it's worrying we are losing local players, it's understandable why the kid would think Everton are a better bet right now. He would be waiting until he's 22 at least to play for us judging by past efforts. What has happened to Cal Roberts, When does longstaff get a chance, what's the point in Tom Heardman. Now Rafa may have plans and ideas but a young kid and family probably think Everton are aiming higher and will bring young players through.

On another hand 6m is a lot of money for a 16 year old, so not surprised the club have accepted it for an untried talent