Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think there is up front funds but an unwilling to increase the wage bill until some of the extended squad is moved on.

Need some champ teams to get injuries and then panic buy or loan the likes of Hanley.

That's why we cannot sell Mitrovic at this moment.  Normally to break team down, the options are counter attack, magic plays or aerial threat.  We have pacy wingers and striker (Atsu, Gayle), we don't have magicians (like HBA), so we still need some aerial threat.  Mitrovic is decent, and let's hope Joselu is even better at this.

In the end, what we need most is a bunch of players that can 100% carried out our manager's plan.  Rafa is our best weapon.  As long as we have players who listen to Rafa, and able to carried out the tactics on pitch (as shown vs Spurs), we are a mid table team.  We are much better than when we relegate, as a team, not as individual.

Mitro is not "decent" in the air, like.

I think the window has been disappointing, but not terrible like some of the examples people have given where only one or two players were brought in and then with more regard to their prices than what was needed on the pitch.

Since Murphy was brought in for 10M, I think there must be other money for a striker. Otherwise that purchase smacks of mistaken priorities. I think we'll see a keeper come in too. They both may be well down Benitez' lists however.

With a better keeper, Yedlin or better backup RB, better backup LB, better/more competition at CB, better than Colback CM, better LM options, and Gayle + better backup strikers, we should do mid-table type okay so long as Rafa is around.

I think it's fairly certain that this is the case. We spent that money on Murphy for the resale value. Luckily Rafa must like him as a player too, he certainly seems to have the right mentality to play for us.

However, we clearly needed a keeper and a striker, which Rafa identified and tried to rectify. How we've brought neither in (obviously if and when Joselu is announced this will change) is baffling.

I don't think Murphy was a mistake.  Atsu form is largely unexpected.  Had he been as ineffective as last year, Murphy should be starting.  But I agree, look back if we spent the whole 16m on a striker we would be in a much better position.

9 of the 11 v Spurs was our Championship team. The same team that lost 10 games in the Championship and that most of us agreed back in May would get murdered in the Premier League.

11 v 11 we looked capable of stopping Spurs from scoring, which is a positive and it's something Rafa is very good at, but at some point we are going to have to break teams down and take 3 points. All of our signings look like punts because, with the possible exception of Lejeune, none have impressed consistently at this level at any stage of their careers. That's not to say they are bad punts, but we needed at least a couple of players who've done it consistently at a high level, players who the selling club want to keep or who other clubs are also fighting for. We still need those players.

I agree with this. I want to like the players we have bought,but the majority of them still have to prove themselves at this level over a season. If any of them can make a real impact in helping us have a decent season then they will prove their worth in gold, but we've seen the last time in this division that signing hopefuls like Mitro and Perez is usually not enough. Here's hoping though.

Anybody hear Don Hutchison on Talk Sport? Did he say something about seeking to get a Martinez (Javi?) on loan? Apols if bollocks. Half-heard the comment (maybe wishful thinking/clutching at straws affecting my hearing!)

He talking about Merino who he has seen quite a bit and rates highly and I think he said that he could be NUFC's Martinez.

Talking about signing a striker, I think Gayle is decent enough, and I prefer to spend the money on a no.10 instead.  Sadly to say Perez is still too inconsistent to rely on and we need to upgrade this position more than Gayle.

Since Murphy was brought in for 10M, I think there must be other money for a striker. Otherwise that purchase smacks of mistaken priorities. I think we'll see a keeper come in too. They both may be well down Benitez' lists however.

I find this interesting and it was something I was thinking about the other day.  When we forked out, by our stingey standards, quite a lot for Murphy (£12m, wasn't it)?  I thought it was a good sign, as we must have a bit to spend.  I mean we needed another wide option or two.  But not more than a striker, no.10 or left back IMO.  Plus we knew Rafa was in the market for a keeper. 

But it hasn't really played out like that, especially after seeing the Ashley interview.  I wonder if it was a case of Rafa being promised more money than he got, or just foolishly thinking he had more of a budget to work with?  Or perhaps he thought it would be easier to shift some of the shite and high earners? 

Whatever the reasons.  It seems odd that our most expensive signing this summer, is probably going to be a winger from the Championship.   

I reckon it could be the wage bill holding us up.  We've got a large number of players drawing salaries who aren't needed, won't be used and have no future at the club.  We'll maybe see some more movement once we've shifted a few of them.

Krul, Saivet, Colback, Haidara and Riviere would be about £8.5m a year going off reports.

not to justify anything but an extraordinary transfer window (expensive) and too much deadwood (difficult to ship out) with fairly high wages have made it difficult.

Hopefully we can ship out minimum 4-5 players and still have time left to shop....

It looks like Kenedy can fill in anywhere on left side. I'm not against buying into youth like Murphy, just hoping we can make the crumbs go around as best we can when there are pressing needs at other positions.

Chicharito will be the extreme end in terms of wages for a 14M striker. This low fee for his pedigree will probably reflect his high wage demands. It might be better to think of him as a 25M class striker, like Benteke etc. A more typical 14M striker won't automatically be on over 100k a week. I don't think Tottenham pay any (many?) that much.

Anybody hear Don Hutchison on Talk Sport? Did he say something about seeking to get a Martinez (Javi?) on loan? Apols if bollocks. Half-heard the comment (maybe wishful thinking/clutching at straws affecting my hearing!)

He talking about Merino who he has seen quite a bit and rates highly and I think he said that he could be NUFC's Martinez.

:lol: thanks.

With Gouff going out though, and Aarons inevitably going to get injured, we really needed someone who can play LW. Wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy play in other positions too, plus he's young and has potential to appreciate.

Would assume that backup role would be covered by Kenedy if he does eventually sign on loan. Realistically that would leave us with Atsu, Murphy, Aarons and Kenedy who could play there. Think there's positions which need strengthening far more than that first.

cough*replacethepieman*cough.

Guest neesy111

With Joselu in, what else do we need (other than to replace the dross that we sell)?

A LB, GK and #10? Can see us getting 2 of the 3.

Still think that list depends if we shift anyone out.

With Joselu in, what else do we need (other than to replace the dross that we sell)?

A LB, GK and #10? Can see us getting 2 of the 3.

Still think that list depends if we shift anyone out.

Agree - unless they come in on a free.

It'll almost be a one in, one out now imo.

Darlow/Krul out - GK in

Haidara out - LB in

De Jong out - #10 in

and so on...