Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

1 hour ago, Heron said:

At the match on Sunday I had a lass during the match turn to me from 2 rows down and shout up "You used to sit in the corner and cancelled your season ticket" in front of everyone. I said "...and, what's your point?" She said "I didn't I stuck by the team."

I then replied "Yeah l, well I stood up for my club, my beliefs and tried to protect it." Then numerous folk intervened and said for me to ignore her. I've never known nowt like it. I finally said "Glad you're more bothered about my beliefs than the cup final I'm trying to support my team in."

Her “loyalty” got her a cup final ticket.

Your loyalty (and all those who protested) got us a takeover.

I’m a firm believer Ashley would still be here had the 10,000+ not jacked it in.

1 hour ago, Heron said:

My (personal) take on the atmosphere was that it was flat as a fart for the most part. It seemed absolutely deafening when their team was read out and when the national anthem was sung I was like ? 

Then it only lasted for 5 or 10 minutes and it was like our bubble just burst. Felt like our fans lost faith and when they scored the tie was as good as over for most.

Part of it may have been the night before, but I think thats just an excuse personally. I think our recent lack of goal scoring prowess and Man Uniteds increasingly good form had us like rabbits in the headlights when the big moment of the match finally came to take place. Our attitude (which I love and which is why we are loved) is to be there, take part, have a belter time, and leave popular, plucky underdogs. Man United turned up to win, on and off the pitch. If we scored on the 30th minute we'd have won that tie undoubtedly, but that first goal was crucial.

I was lower tier, behind the goal, and myself and this guy got proper emotional at the start, just oozing with pride. We hugged and then that was it. Both his mates and mine stuck it out together for the duration. Stamping on the metal and when the knees and feet became too sore reverted to banging it with a clenched fist. It's what I love about football. That sense of shared pride, overwhelming passion and a love of where one's from. In how many scenarios in life does this happen?

For me, I'm maybe a tad old school and that has its pro's and cons. I'm not old enough to have experienced the days of hooliganism and the genuine danger of any given away day. That has to be a pro. Likewise, I grew up in an era where those older than me educated and policed me into understanding how to behave at the pub and the match, generally speaking. Of course there are moments when you lose your head or you say or do something stupid but hey ho, that's life. Now, for the betterment of society, women and kids are in abundance at the match. As they should be. However, I do feel that there's a sanitisation of the game whereby the tribalism is almost entirely removed and it's becoming a very generic thing to attend any match, anywhere in the country. You hear the same drab songs coming from away ends and the home fans sit in silence unless they take the lead. Home advantage no longer exists. This whole thing about putting away fans pitch side is absolute nonsense to me. There should be home standing/singing sections and the away fans should be in the worst seats on the stadium. Of course, that's not great as an away fan, but it's all about giving your team an advantage. That way the away 'hardcore' have to be on their game to balance the playing field.

The answer, as others have mentioned is to reshuffle. Nowt wrong with family enclosures, nowt wrong with sitting, but there's also nowt wrong with standing, singing and actually,  swearing.

I feel like many probably do at the match: It's where my troubles leave me, for 90minutes. Same when I play. Nothing matters but football for that time. Sure, people swear, lose their heads,etc. Sure people sometimes need to dial it in and be respectful of others, but for how many is football a form of therapy?

I feel like many think it's embarrassing to sing alone or to get passionate, maybe it's a British trait, I don't know, the whole stiff upper lip kinda crack, but for me I enjoy people showing raw passion and hence I tend to show mine.

At the match on Sunday I had a lass during the match turn to me from 2 rows down and shout up "You used to sit in the corner and cancelled your season ticket" in front of everyone. I said "...and, what's your point?" She said "I didn't I stuck by the team."

I then replied "Yeah l, well I stood up for my club, my beliefs and tried to protect it." Then numerous folk intervened and said for me to ignore her. I've never known nowt like it. I finally said "Glad you're more bothered about my beliefs than the cup final I'm trying to support my team in."

I couldn't help but feel slightly embarrassed but also angry that this would matter at such a time.

Which brings me to my final point. In another thread someone has mentioned when I protested vs Arsenal and wrote something passionate on here (will also pick that up in that thread) but for me, that day, something as a football fan died inside me. I love the match and getting behind my team, but the way I felt that day made me feel entirely alienated from the club and city I love. Random people calling you a cunt for standing up for the same thing they also love, whilst they themselves do fuck all about it except complain in a pub.

I'll be honest, I don't give that much of a shit that people wouldn't protest, but don't also spend hours complaining of a situation you're unwilling to do anything about if that's the case. Most of my best mates carried on with their tickets and I'd see them every match day still as I made my stand and sat in the pub whilst they went. For the most part it was fine, I accepted my choice but some days it upset me, I no longer had my 'therapy' and I felt an outcast (despite it being of my own doing).

I remember these planned protests, several of them, when well renowned toon fans pushed them and then dropped them last minute and lead with a 'voice' but no actual presence. Doing public U Turns at the last gasp as those that followed them ultimately sacked protesting off, but I didn't. I said my piece and followed it through. It's that feeling of relief I feel at almost every game now, self vindication and pride in staying true to myself that tip me over the edge. Whereas some others have probably become spectators, there in body but not as much spirit and hence the silence until the team give them something to shout about.

Mike Ashley fucking ruined this club and its gonna take more than 15months to repair those 15(?) Years. The bastard.

(Apologies for the war and peace...)

Cracking post mate. I don’t know you personally, but know of you (you gave me specific instructs during the surfer against Leicester in the quarters) and I’m really sorry that lass had the audacity to try and shame you like that. Glad to hear others stuck up for you.

The takeover has brought out the best (Wor Flags, Arsenal last season, scenes outside SJP on 07/10/21) and the very worst in our fans. You’ve got the super fan types on socials with their loyalty points and ‘I stood by my team’ craic, winding people up about Wembley tickets etc, then thankfully the vast majority who are just happy to have a competitive team back. 

Glad to hear you ended up with a ticket like. If anybody deserves it, it’s you. 

1 hour ago, Heron said:

My (personal) take on the atmosphere was that it was flat as a fart for the most part. It seemed absolutely deafening when their team was read out and when the national anthem was sung I was like ? 

Then it only lasted for 5 or 10 minutes and it was like our bubble just burst. Felt like our fans lost faith and when they scored the tie was as good as over for most.

Part of it may have been the night before, but I think thats just an excuse personally. I think our recent lack of goal scoring prowess and Man Uniteds increasingly good form had us like rabbits in the headlights when the big moment of the match finally came to take place. Our attitude (which I love and which is why we are loved) is to be there, take part, have a belter time, and leave popular, plucky underdogs. Man United turned up to win, on and off the pitch. If we scored on the 30th minute we'd have won that tie undoubtedly, but that first goal was crucial.

I was lower tier, behind the goal, and myself and this guy got proper emotional at the start, just oozing with pride. We hugged and then that was it. Both his mates and mine stuck it out together for the duration. Stamping on the metal and when the knees and feet became too sore reverted to banging it with a clenched fist. It's what I love about football. That sense of shared pride, overwhelming passion and a love of where one's from. In how many scenarios in life does this happen?

For me, I'm maybe a tad old school and that has its pro's and cons. I'm not old enough to have experienced the days of hooliganism and the genuine danger of any given away day. That has to be a pro. Likewise, I grew up in an era where those older than me educated and policed me into understanding how to behave at the pub and the match, generally speaking. Of course there are moments when you lose your head or you say or do something stupid but hey ho, that's life. Now, for the betterment of society, women and kids are in abundance at the match. As they should be. However, I do feel that there's a sanitisation of the game whereby the tribalism is almost entirely removed and it's becoming a very generic thing to attend any match, anywhere in the country. You hear the same drab songs coming from away ends and the home fans sit in silence unless they take the lead. Home advantage no longer exists. This whole thing about putting away fans pitch side is absolute nonsense to me. There should be home standing/singing sections and the away fans should be in the worst seats on the stadium. Of course, that's not great as an away fan, but it's all about giving your team an advantage. That way the away 'hardcore' have to be on their game to balance the playing field.

The answer, as others have mentioned is to reshuffle. Nowt wrong with family enclosures, nowt wrong with sitting, but there's also nowt wrong with standing, singing and actually,  swearing.

I feel like many probably do at the match: It's where my troubles leave me, for 90minutes. Same when I play. Nothing matters but football for that time. Sure, people swear, lose their heads,etc. Sure people sometimes need to dial it in and be respectful of others, but for how many is football a form of therapy?

I feel like many think it's embarrassing to sing alone or to get passionate, maybe it's a British trait, I don't know, the whole stiff upper lip kinda crack, but for me I enjoy people showing raw passion and hence I tend to show mine.

I couldn't help but feel slightly embarrassed but also angry that this would matter at such a time.

Which brings me to my final point. In another thread someone has mentioned when I protested vs Arsenal and wrote something passionate on here (will also pick that up in that thread) but for me, that day, something as a football fan died inside me. I love the match and getting behind my team, but the way I felt that day made me feel entirely alienated from the club and city I love. Random people calling you a cunt for standing up for the same thing they also love, whilst they themselves do fuck all about it except complain in a pub.

I'll be honest, I don't give that much of a shit that people wouldn't protest, but don't also spend hours complaining of a situation you're unwilling to do anything about if that's the case. Most of my best mates carried on with their tickets and I'd see them every match day still as I made my stand and sat in the pub whilst they went. For the most part it was fine, I accepted my choice but some days it upset me, I no longer had my 'therapy' and I felt an outcast (despite it being of my own doing).

I remember these planned protests, several of them, when well renowned toon fans pushed them and then dropped them last minute and lead with a 'voice' but no actual presence. Doing public U Turns at the last gasp as those that followed them ultimately sacked protesting off, but I didn't. I said my piece and followed it through. It's that feeling of relief I feel at almost every game now, self vindication and pride in staying true to myself that tip me over the edge. Whereas some others have probably become spectators, there in body but not as much spirit and hence the silence until the team give them something to shout about.

Mike Ashley fucking ruined this club and its gonna take more than 15months to repair those 15(?) Years. The bastard.

Gobsmacked at this and I really shouldn't be.

I get it off mates and some family members for giving my ticket up roughly 8 years ago. The amount of snarky comments I got for going to wembley, or paying through the nose to get a ST last year.

Made me feel like a cunt, almost ashamed. But I remember why I done it and I also remember their shit excuses for not protesting.

"I've been coming since xxxx" "my money means fuck all to Ashley in the grand scheme" 

I resented our fans then, mind going off this I still do now [emoji38]

Anyways, you and WF have done more in one game than that daft bint has probably done in here entire time "supporting" NUFC. Seeing your displays fills me with immense pride everytime.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Bloody hell. I think I can remember it all kicking off regarding the minute but I've tried to blank out that second half of 2013-14, was an absolutely awful time to be a Newcastle fan.

The bloke is still a weapon of the highest order. Also remember when he went to the police about GallowgateShots floating the idea of getting a Tiote flag made after he died to Wor Flags/Gallowgate Flags for no reason whatsoever as well. Plus the whole loser's mentality patter he came out with today or yesterday. Egos like his hamstrung any collective protest ideas along with the other bell ends unfortunately amongst our online fanbase, eg Wraith.

It's absolutely baffling that he's still got such a platform like, the big fucking whopper. 

50 minutes ago, Heron said:

I might see if I can get something to help weigh it down and then chuck it up there tbf.

It really did look class (I was underneath it so couldn't see it properly in real time). Might encourage a few renditions of Howay the Lads as well, which was (from where I was sat anyway) sorely lacking on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Heron said:

Great post, but also pretty depressing too. Unfortunately the Ashley years highlighted that we have a sizeable amount of wankers in our ranks. Every club has them though as it is a society thing.

Agree that the damage inflicted will need time to repair. I think that the dust has still yet to properly settle on all of the bomb damage done by him, to be honest. The smoke is slowly clearing and we are seeing what is left of the club we once had.

4 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

If the vast majority of the fanbase were like you @Heron, myself included tbh as I couldn't be arsed with protesting after the dreadful uptake and stick me and my dad got for the late walk-in v West Ham in 2018 (still chucked my ticket after Benitez left), we would've been rid of Mike Ashley years before we finally were. Of that I'm sure.

Was that the game where all the abuse Mike Ashley should have received was directed at Ayoze Perez, by the “support the team, not the regime mob”? Most ridiculous thing our fan base has ever done.

Edited by Rafalove

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

I’m actually in disbelief at that exchange@Heron.

She clearly knows who you are, so no doubt knows you’re in WF and you’re a chant starter - and comes out with that? Unbelievable.

Yes but he gave a ticket up, that's what fair weather fans do supposedly.

As I used to say, Mike Ashley could've been rodgering these people's grannies on the centre circle at half time and they'd still make some excuse for it.

• 5 weeks later...
On 30/03/2023 at 21:49, huss9 said:

omg!!! no way fucking way! shit, there's gonna be tears on sunday if he turns up.

Honestly I want him to head back over so much, I'll be emotional as fuck singing the Gutierrez song. 

Love the bloke. 

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

Helped the good lads and lasses out tonight. All I can say is, I now truly appreciate the job they do. Fantastic work from everyone.

Much appreciated! Happy to have folk along especially when they're capable of shifting decent weight :lol:

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

Honestly I want him to head back over so much, I'll be emotional as fuck singing the Gutierrez song. 

Love the bloke. 

Cult hero for me. The poster boy for the AshleyOuters. Hero.

7 minutes ago, Heron said:

Cult hero for me. The poster boy for the AshleyOuters. Hero.

I went to Bruges but couldn't get a match ticket so ended up in the fan village in the square, mates were sending videos from inside the stadium.  Bruges used to play the tune that the Gutierrez chant used, it looked like a proper rave :lol: they played it and all you could hear was our lot.

Out of all the things that bugged me about not getting a ticket, that topped it. 

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

I went to Bruges but couldn't get a match ticket so ended up in the fan village in the square, mates were sending videos from inside the stadium.  Bruges used to play the tune that the Gutierrez chant used, it looked like a proper rave :lol: they played it and all you could hear was our lot.

Out of all the things that bugged me about not getting a ticket, that topped it. 

I was in there but cannot remember this bit. Was no doubt taking part though :lol: