Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

On 16/04/2023 at 11:21, Heron said:

Don't wanna sound arsey here because I know we've kind of set the bar. However, games like next Sunday are for everyone attending to 'raise the bar' for me.

We will use what we can in terms of time and resource to obviously try and set the benchmark pre-match but I really hope, and actually expect that our fans will also understand the importance of the game and make it difficult for Spurs without Wor Flags' encouragement, and I suspect they will, as for me whilst Wor Flags helps I do actually believe it is somewhat the natural feel of each game that generally dictates the overall atmosphere.

As a separate question, and this is purely from my own curiosity (and not for plaudits) but does anyone feel the displays are becoming a little less valued or less interesting now that they're being done so regularly? I.e. would it be more impactful if we scaled up and down more often rather than doing something every home game?

Banners draped over level 7 weather permitting and over railings should be a staple. I’m old school and like flags showing where folk are from.

Beyond that I think you’ve done more than enough to help atmosphere and think it’s time the rank and file realised vocal support is what football is really about.

I guess going forward if the standing area takes off, maybe concentrate efforts there a bit like Celtic do at Parkhead.

Otherwise save the big displays for the big occasions.

Edited by Whitley mag

Just catching up with this. I agree with what most have said, I think the normal flags should be present every game, and maybe big surfers for 9 or 10 big games during the season.

However, for games like Sunday, I really think it's important we get flags or scarves or pieces of paper etc on every seat... like last year's Arsenal game. That game felt the most intimidating to me.

I think I would probably go the other way and have the larger flags without the mass ones. 

Leave the majority of fans to watch, twirl scarves, sing, and get psyched up. Have the bigger flags and banners to inspire them. 

But either is class. 

Good call to arms!

I think it'll be bouncing as there is our European hopes riding on it a little bit, and to upset the apple cart in PL title race.

We need everyone to turn up, with your scarf yes, but also with your pipes well and truly greased up for a raucous atmosphere!

I still feel we are the underdogs for this one but this is exactly the type of game where the fans can make a difference, they are struggling mentally by the looks of it, and seem a bit leggy. If we get at them with the fans creating a beat pit, we have a chance. 

Same as last season against them the crowd can play a massive part in helping us win this game. The magnitude of the game, plus the later kick off, bank holiday weekend, our form etc means the perfect storm is there for this one to go down on the list of all time memorable SJP atmospheres.

Has anyone that ordered the miniature Newcastle surfer received theirs yet?

Totally forgot I'd ordered one for the bairn till I seen one hanging on railings at the match.