Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

@Heron Is there a way to view the new surfer to search for names?

Just ordered the the small version off the site but wondering if there's any of the design images available so the bairns can have a hunt for their names. 

7 hours ago, Wilson said:

@Heron Is there a way to view the new surfer to search for names?

Just ordered the the small version off the site but wondering if there's any of the design images available so the bairns can have a hunt for their names. 

Aye there will be. We'll put it up in due course.

5 hours ago, Big River said:

does anyone know if the names of people who contribute monthly got included?

I think it was purely those who donated specifically to the flag but I could be wrong as I didn't get too involved in that side

On 28/02/2023 at 16:19, christ said:

Didn’t someone used to turn up in the Gallowgate with a drum? Might have been early WF/Gallowgate Flags era. Might have even been someone on here, as I’m sure I remember a story about them being threatened by some of our cretinous fans who didn’t like it.

Think that would do immeasurable good in helping people keep tempo.

I’m a drummer and would happily do this. Need a season ticket first though :trippier:

Is there a hi res image of the flag in the stand?  I have the pdf one (thats been photoshopped to stop people using this rather than buying the mini flag)!  I can see the name.  I've also ordered a mini.  I'd just really like a high res image so I can see the name on the flag in the ground!

It's a bit silly but the name I put on was a memorial type thing so I'd just like to see the flag in the flesh with the name on it.

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

• 2 weeks later...

Don't wanna sound arsey here because I know we've kind of set the bar. However, games like next Sunday are for everyone attending to 'raise the bar' for me.

We will use what we can in terms of time and resource to obviously try and set the benchmark pre-match but I really hope, and actually expect that our fans will also understand the importance of the game and make it difficult for Spurs without Wor Flags' encouragement, and I suspect they will, as for me whilst Wor Flags helps I do actually believe it is somewhat the natural feel of each game that generally dictates the overall atmosphere.

As a separate question, and this is purely from my own curiosity (and not for plaudits) but does anyone feel the displays are becoming a little less valued or less interesting now that they're being done so regularly? I.e. would it be more impactful if we scaled up and down more often rather than doing something every home game?

Edited by Heron

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Don't wanna sound arsey here because I know we've kind of set the bar. However, games like next Sunday are for everyone attending to 'raise the bar' for me.

We will use what we can in terms of time and resource to obviously try and set the benchmark pre-match but I really hope, and actually expect that our fans will also understand the importance of the game and make it difficult for Spurs without Wor Flags' encouragement, and I suspect they will, as for me whilst Wor Flags helps I do actually believe it is somewhat the natural feel of each game that generally dictates the overall atmosphere.

As a separate question, and this is purely from my own curiosity (and not for plaudits) but does anyone feel the displays are becoming a little less valued or less interesting now that they're being done so regularly? I.e. would it be more impactful if we scaled up and down more often rather than doing something every home game?

I think they are fantastic every time. If anything, they just need to be slightly different every time.

I like the variety. I loved Arsenal last year, I loved the scarves against Southampton, the surfers against Man United.

Scarves for the Spurs game would have worked actually.

6 hours ago, STM said:

I think they are fantastic every time. If anything, they just need to be slightly different every time.

I like the variety. I loved Arsenal last year, I loved the scarves against Southampton, the surfers against Man United.

Scarves for the Spurs game would have worked actually.

Unfortunately l, I think we're aiming to push the scarves as a more cup thing but we have a slightly varied display again gor next weekend albeit using existing items. :thup:

Thanks for the feedback.

I like just a smattering of flags most weeks without a focal point.

When we have a tasty game come around, I like the surfers etc. Done too much it will feel less spectacular (although the effort is always greatly appreciated and I'd never say don't do them often).

I still think if wor flags just use a bit of their positive coverage to push the fans for a bear pit atmosphere in their 'press releases' I do think the crowd will deliver.

Sadly, People need to be directed and told what to do sometimes[emoji38] the area in which I sit struggles for any meaningful singing but when it gets bouncing, the willingness is there by most.

Think people become embarrassed about being the minority, and often around me, get alien looks from others as to what they're doing [emoji38]

It'll get better, people just need encouraged and a little education*

*Can be a lot of young families or foreign fans around me so they may have only seen an Ashley nufc.

22 hours ago, Heron said:

Hate the nail on head. Massive game in hunt for champions league..everyone should be bang up for it

I love Wor Flags but I'm not sure how much it has to do with the ongoing match atmosphere after the display has ended. It inspires people and gives them pride in their club, but it's other factors that are most important in keeping the atmosphere loud during the game. Importance of the match, what the team do, people starting chants, etc etc. 

I'm not sure if the group has considered actively getting involved in starting chants, like by having specific people given the job in every stand etc. I know we've briefly talked about a 'wor songs' type thing before. 

I personally prefer the large and medium flags to the simple ones that are handed out to everyone. That feels more like an ultras demonstration, if you know what I mean. But it's very hard, they're all different levels of good. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I suspect we've crossed the Rubicon and pretty much need the flags there all the time now. Scaling down for games will just create an excuse mentality among other supporters etc. Even though yes, they are/will be gradually be less valued over time. Suspect that's why the ones that survive long term on the continent tend to evolve into protection rackets to sustain themselves.

Doesn't take anything away from your accomplishments though.

Unsure how I feel on it all. 

I think the smaller flags should perhaps stay for each game, and bigger displays should be for something more specific? It really is beginning to frustrate me that people think the atmosphere is tremendous because 20-30 volunteers put hundreds of hours of graft into creating an immense spectacle. 

As someone else has said however, are we now passed the point of no return? Or is there a way to ween supporters off it?

My view would be to keep demonstrations solely in the Strawberry Corner from next season. Therefore, people know that this is the place to be for where the noise and atmosphere will be generated. This in turn should push the club into creating a bigger standing area moving forward and creates more of an Ultra vibe?

Yep I agree with what most have said, the big surfers for big games. The surfers do seem to draw people out of the pubs a little earlier when something big is mentioned which may be what encourages the atmosphere a little. Keep the rest of the flags for all the rest of the games. Not sure I agree with TheGuv about the big flags only being in the Strawberry though, I think it's been made to look spectacular when it's been all round the stadium.

You'd hope the crowd are up for Sunday though without anything needed!