Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Thoughts on him then? I thought that despite clearly not being 100% yet the movement was still good and he could have had a penalty if He'd ran a split second later. Think just like last season the more he plays the better he'll get.

Thoughts on him then? I thought that despite clearly not being 100% yet the movement was still good and he could have had a penalty if He'd ran a split second later. Think just like last season the more he plays the better he'll get.

The early peel off the defender to latch on to the volley was good. Didn't think his run that was judged offside for that penalty wasn't offside but may need to see it again. His movement was dangerous. His turn and shot in second half forced a brilliant save from Lloris.

He looked a bit unsupported at times. The slowness from Perez going central after Gayle given the ball down the channels is frustrating. There's not much Gayle can do his own out wide if nobody is around to help him.

He was awful today, if he doesn't get the service he's simply a passenger, he didn't get any service. He offers nothing in terms of hold or link up play. Clearly not fit, perhaps would have been better to start Mitro and bringing Gayle on for the last 30 or something.

He was awful today, if he doesn't get the service he's simply a passenger, he didn't get any service. He offers nothing in terms of hold or link up play. Clearly not fit, perhaps would have been better to start Mitro and bringing Gayle on for the last 30 or something.

He normally does a lot. You could tell he wasn't right today.  It is mental more than anything. He will be like this for a few games until he gains a bit of confidence around injuries in my opinion.

Guest firetotheworks

He's been injured, I'm not going to criticise him at this point, but there were a couple of moments (not anticipating Atsu's ball to him on the break and not getting in a good position when Atsu put in a cross) that felt very un-Gayle-like.

Dunno if it was just me but he looked like he was really having to work to run if that makes sense. One moment first half where he was chasing down the keeper first & it looked a proper effort but he really wasn't moving quickly. Maybe just fitness?

Dunno if it was just me but he looked like he was really having to work to run if that makes sense. One moment first half where he was chasing down the keeper first & it looked a proper effort but he really wasn't moving quickly. Maybe just fitness?

I said it in the match thread. But for me, this relates back to Rafa saying that Gayle doesn't trust his own hamstrings anymore. He's scared to give 100% incase he pulls up.

I said it in the match thread. But for me, this relates back to Rafa saying that Gayle doesn't trust his own hamstrings anymore. He's scared to give 100% incase he pulls up.

Where's that from?

Where's that from?

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/08/rafa-repeats-dwight-gayle-concerns-first-voiced-february-newcastle-united/

”It’s not his hamstring – it’s more the feeling that he has. He’s not comfortable and we don’t want to take any risks.

“Dwight is training with the fitness coach, so hopefully he can carry on training this week.

“He needs the confidence to know he can sprint and do everything as he was doing before.

“It’s a question of confidence, so we will carry on pushing him in training and hopefully we can get back the confidence.”

Shouldn't start until he's comfortable.

This situation is really worrying, given that he's by far our best finisher (unless Joselu proves otherwise). We are reliant on his goals, if he isn't going to be fit enough we're in deep shit over the course of the season. Easy to forget he missed loads of last season, but others filled the gaps.

Guest Bordertoon

This situation is really worrying, given that he's by far our best finisher (unless Joselu proves otherwise). We are reliant on his goals, if he isn't going to be fit enough we're in deep s*** over the course of the season. Easy to forget he missed loads of last season, but others filled the gaps.

This - an awful lot of eggs in a flimsy-looking basket.

As with Shelvey, although for different reasons entirely, I actually feel anxious watching him play - he's not the only one who needs to build confidence in his hamstrings.

Where's that from?

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/08/rafa-repeats-dwight-gayle-concerns-first-voiced-february-newcastle-united/

”It’s not his hamstring – it’s more the feeling that he has. He’s not comfortable and we don’t want to take any risks.

“Dwight is training with the fitness coach, so hopefully he can carry on training this week.

“He needs the confidence to know he can sprint and do everything as he was doing before.

“It’s a question of confidence, so we will carry on pushing him in training and hopefully we can get back the confidence.”

Shouldn't start until he's comfortable.

If this is still the case and we are relying as him being the main striker then that's a massive problem as if he is worried about doing his hamstring then he obviously will not be giving anywhere near 100% in a game. Now we have a player who has a pretty poor goal scoring record and another who is quite obvious tha the manager wants out of the club. Being that Ritchie is the only other real goal scoring threat then as I keep saying we have massive problems all round.

No.  I don't think this is fitness issue.  This is about ability.  I am not saying Gayle is shit.  He is just not good at what we ask him to do tonight.

As pointed out by my friends, Gayle may be useless for us in EPL because we no longer able to dominate in the game without striker's help, and thus Gayle won't have enough chances to score.  If he doesn't get enough assists, he is kinda useless.  I agree with him now.

At the moment he's reminding me of Owen when we first went down, or Cisse last time. On paper our "Best chance of a goal" but in reality he doesn't look right and others look like they'd make us a better team. It took too long for Shearer to realise Martins and Viduka were a better choice, and Rafa stuck with Cisse last time. Would hope we don't just give him endless chances, and thats despite me liking him far more than either of those two.

Seemed to be playing within himself, as if he has no confidence in his body to hold up. Insane that we only have a half fit Gayle, a player who Rafa clearly doesn't rate and a Stoke reject as our only strikers. Let the good times roll!!!

:lol: you couldn't make it up, could you? Well, if you did it would be a worthy plot line in the soap opera of NUFC.

Just looked a bit rusty. Don't think it's beyond him to be a success in the Premier League. We had games last year in the Championship where Gayle was anonymous most of the game due to our poor build up play. I know he'll get less touches and less chances, but strikes me as a bit early to write him off.