Matt Ritchie: Released (Official)

Fenham Mag

2 hours ago, Pilko said:

Another useful grafty cameo. Hope he enjoys every minute, he must know each time could be his last for us.

I do. Just nice for any of them that went through the horribleness here to get these moments. Especially if they half hoped they'd be getting them when signing. Obviously his attitude must be sound behind the scenes which earns it too.

Really cementing that group feel all these games and injuries, though less of the latter woudl be lovely.

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

The only reason he come on instead hall or miley must be because of his discipline to not go missing. 

It was a situation that called for an experienced head rather than a young lad with a handful of senior games. 

4 hours ago, Aiston said:

Did we register him for the CL?

:lol:

Love him, hope he stays as a coach with us when he retires.

Nope he wasn't included in the squad. The club grown rules meant we could only name 23 - so Ritchie and Manquillo were left out.

11 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Has been shouted out by multiple players for his contribution despite not often playing. He’s a capable footballer and disciplined. 

Wonder if we’ll see a corner flag getting absolutely belted again before he leaves.

He hasn’t been a capable footballer at the level required for quite some time. I get that Howe likes him, but I can’t look past his listless performances from 2018 to 2021 while occasionally putting in a spirited defence of Mike Ashley. 

I wish him absolutely no ill will but let’s not pretend he’s been this great servant to the club.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

He hasn’t been a capable footballer at the level required for quite some time. I get that Howe likes him, but I can’t look past his listless performances from 2018 to 2021 while occasionally putting in a spirited defence of Mike Ashley. 

I wish him absolutely no ill will but let’s not pretend he’s been this great servant to the club.

It obviously all subjective, but like a lot of the players from the Rafa era, that helped get us promoted, he's always played his hardest and played for the shirt, in a period which was one of the darkest in the clubs history. Ritchie was pivotal in that promotion season btw.

He also seems like one of the biggest influencers in the dressing room, and someone who helps set the standards. I'll also always remember what he said to Longstaff when he was in a dark place, and when I'm judging someone, that will always take precedence over footballing ability.

He also called Bruce a cunt, which is a bonus. So to me I'll always remember him fondly, and think he's represented the club, well and has been a good servant to it.

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Dont ever remember him defending Mike Ashley.

Plus there have been many accounts of him protecting some of the younger players from the worst of Steve Bruce.

6 minutes ago, 54 said:

It obviously all subjective, but like a lot of the players from the Rafa era, that helped get us promoted, he's always played his hardest and played for the shirt, in a period which was one of the darkest in the clubs history. Ritchie was pivotal in that promotion season btw.

Agree with this part.

His only strength nowadays is that he’s probably still got a half decent left foot. Certainly doesn’t have any pace, can’t beat a man and can’t chase players down like he used to. I’d have just stuck him on the left for that reason to see if he could whip anything into the box. 

Roll up, roll up, this is the scapegoat thread, welcome one and welcome all. Treat this thread as your allocated personal post-loss punchbag. 

May I tempted you in a few of these:

"This cunt was just kept on because he's good around the place".

"He's been shite for years".

"Should have been nowhere near the pitch today."

"WOULD RATHER PLAY A YOUNG KID!!!".

Got a 2 for 1 offer on if you arrive quick enough. Reminder that next fixture the Matt Richie scapegoat thread will be closed and we will rightly returning to the Trippier thread or maybe even the Miggy thread.