Matt Ritchie: Released (Official)

Fenham Mag

1 minute ago, frankpingel said:

Definitely fondly remembered by me. Considering the other's being released he was good value and a character

Best season for was in Championship and making us sing that song all night: 12 goals, plenty of involvement critical to promotion and, therefore, all that came next.  

Will always love Matt Ritchie. The stuff he did on and off the pitch be it stick to Bruce, or help Longie through his tough depression state under Bruce, kicking corner flags, his crucial goals under Rafa and always hearing not a single bad word said about him within the dressing room. Top top man. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

New scapegoats will need to recruited!

Wait until Miggy’s sold, the vacuum will create some kind of nuclear implosion! 
(oh! Forgot about other local targets) 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

2 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Longstaff, Miggy and Burn (at LB) we've already got it covered man.

I could also see Trippier be a part of that club in the coming season if he stays on.

Was really good for us in The Championship, solid for a little bit after but really should have been gone a long time ago

Definitely thank him for his service and wish him well

46 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Definitely fondly remembered by me. Considering the other's being released he was good value and a character

Agree with this, one of our most consistent players from 16-19 and was a good servant 

There was a great article about how he helped get Longstaff some professional help when he was struggling a few years ago. 

He also famously had a bust up with Steve Bruce.

He was great in the championship and had good moments in the Prem, even at left wing back under Rafa

Hope he gets a good club 

More than served his purpose when he signed and was worth every penny in the end. Some immense contributions all things considered but as soon as we got the takeover he was always going to be phased out. Even then, you could tell he was a big, positive influence in the dressing room and in the squad in general - never complained and seemed to be one of the dads of the group, you 100% need players like him in the squad It's also pretty obvious that as he's aged his legs have all but gone at PL level but I hope he either sticks around as a coach up here or continues playing at a lower level.

Would be a real shame if his career up here is remembered for some of his most recent performances, he was a little gem in those first 3 seasons

I'll always remember Matt Ritchie as a pugnacious fellow. One of several players to be dubbed 'the Scottish Messi' after Barry Bannon, Ryan Gauld and little Jimmy Griffin, in truth he never quite reached those heights but he plied his trade with aplomb even if that was more in the sandpapering vein than fine carpentry. I can still picture him with bloodshot eyes racing towards the corner flag as if the whole world along with it best stay out of his way, only for him to be mobbed by his adoring teammates. He was signed for what wasn't a paltry fee ahead of our Championship season, and proved useful.

Posted (edited)

Have to be honest, I'm quite sad. He's a bloke who will always seem to be there for others. Many times we would see him on the pitch after a match has ended and talking to others, especially the young or new ones. Howe definitely appreciated having Ritchie being around and he was professional enough to get on with his job despite not playing regularly.

He's a legend in my books for standing up to the Geordie fraud Steve Bruce and calling him a coward or whatever it was that he called him.

Thanks for your contributions. Hope you come back in some capacity in the future.

Edited by nufcjb