Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Guest firetotheworks

He doesn't need to beat anyone, but he could do with improving his crossing. Still think he's a really reliable player tbh, I've got a lot of time for him.

How many fucking times did his cross hit the first man? i appreciate that he runs about a lot but he is really adding nothing to our play in the final third, which is what we need the most in games like yesterday.

How many times did he pass up the opportunity to cross as well though.

What irks me about him is that he looks genuinely angry when being substituted, even if it's in the 80th minute. Usually this is what you want from your players, but I wonder if he's made himself "undroppable" by throwing a strop everytime he's subbed off. We badly need to rest him for a few games, or bring him on as a sub.

Ritchie for me is like Gouffran, or Jonas when he went shit after discovering Pardew loved him playing as a second fullback. Really mediocre player with no business being in the first team of a PL club, but not so shit that he won't have the odd decent performance (like 1-2 good crosses, couple of alright passes, etc). Usually whatever flank he is on is entirely dead unless the fullback behind him carries the attack, because there's zero creativity/quality coming from him and no threat ever to take players on/exploit space/hurt opposition defenders out of position. Yet he does enough of the "bonus" stuff to get on the good side of fans (initially at least for Gouffran) and managers - running around alot, tracking back, getting stuck in, looking like you care or are passionate, etc etc, these traits should be the icing on the cake of a good player, but some lesser players are smart enough to know that these things are relatively easy to do. It's really conniving in all honesty, and is office politics on a football pitch. If you're not good at the fundamentals of your role then do the bonus stuff because it catches the eye of your managers/others who are easily impressed and can't see that you're masking being shit at your core job role.

Ritchie for me is like Gouffran, or Jonas when he went s*** after discovering Pardew loved him playing as a second fullback. Really mediocre player with no business being in the first team of a PL club, but not so s*** that he won't have the odd decent performance (like 1-2 good crosses, couple of alright passes, etc). Usually whatever flank he is on is entirely dead unless the fullback behind him carries the attack, because there's zero creativity/quality coming from him and no threat ever to take players on/exploit space/hurt opposition defenders out of position. Yet he does enough of the "bonus" stuff to get on the good side of fans (initially at least for Gouffran) and managers - running around alot, tracking back, getting stuck in, looking like you care or are passionate, etc etc, these traits should be the icing on the cake of a good player, but some lesser players are smart enough to know that these things are relatively easy to do. It's really conniving in all honesty, and is office politics on a football pitch. If you're not good at the fundamentals of your role then do the bonus stuff because it catches the eye of your managers/others who are easily impressed and can't see that you're masking being s*** at your core job role.

Absolutely spot on!

Guest Howaythetoon

Like Perez Ritchie looks shagged to me despite his work rate, he’s offering very little offensively. I think like a few of our players he’s been squeezed so hard there is nothing but sweat left to squeeze out of him.

under proper ownership, he'd be on the bench or be sold. Wish Stoke would have bought him and we would have brought in Andros this past summer. ffs.

We wouldn't have bought Andros though, not when Palace would have wanted more than, well actual money  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...