Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don’t know what to make of him. Go through phases where I love him but then he’ll do something like make a ridiculous challenge or go through spells where he can’t beat the first man and think what the hell.

If Kenedy can build on his cameo on Saturday over the next few sub appearances I’d like to see him in.

As much as I admire his passion, time for him to move on. He doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength as the new front 3. Only been a couple of games, so hopefully he improves on this. But just seems to make up for his lack of attacking threat with yelling and being mad at his teammates.

Think he was getting frustrated on Saturday with Almiron straying from his expected position. He had a few words with Rafa at one point as he was clearly looking for Almiron down the line and he wasn’t there. That’ll all quickly improve.

Looks like the weakest link at the moment. He clearly works better with Atsu than Almiron, but that's tough shit for Ritchie.

I've been following the debate about him "ignoring" Almiron and watched for it, and it seemed to me that more than once Almiron was narrower than Ritchie wanted. Surely it's just a getting-to-know-you thing...?

Ritchie's a bit of a cult hero as far as I'm concerned because he was massive for us in the Championship and has, on the whole, been extremely dependable in the Premier League; but I'd love to see Rafa spend significant bucks on a LWB and a RWB. The system we have employed for the past however many weeks works a treat at times but where it's most lacking is that consistent penetration from the widest areas. We'd be pushing the top 7 if we had players in those positions who weren't just 'alright'.

Thought he was pretty class today tbh.

That shot at the end though :lol:

I said it in the match thread, he's very 6/10. I like him, but we need an upgrade to kick on, as has been the case for many players over multiple years.

Ritchie probably has the best opportunity to show his best now, more than at any other stage during his time with us.

Whilst he doesn’t have the most athletic attributes, he’s a player that, given space, can cause problems with his quality passing and crossing, and with Almiron we have a player that can create that space for him. People are picking up on him not passing to Almiron, but it’s likely that he’s enjoying having a bit of room for a change, rather than anything sinister.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if Ritchie’s form and productivity took an upturn during the remainder of the season.