Grant Hanley

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not too sure about Hanley, (would have preferred Caulker) but Rafa knows best and Im sure he can make him a better player.

A 6 ft 3 physical defender with experience at that level and captain of a team at that level is a good signing. Probably better bet than Caulker where the jury really is out and not convinced he's great at the back, probably better on that ball but happy to have Central Defenders that win the ball and play it simple to more capable midfielders / full backs. Where we are at is building a resilient defence which we have never had.

With a Central Defender the main considerations should be anticipation, concentration, positioning and strength but not can he pick a ball up and dribble past 10 players, or can he play a pinpoint pass down the channels for a winger. First and foremost he should be able to defend and be part of an effective unit.

FMtastic  :lol:

Yip almost like Sky Sports I know but didn't mean for it to be honest :).

It's hard not to compare I'd you rattle off a few attributes which normally would be perfectly acceptable in any other circumstance. FM has ruined how you can talk about a footballer... Ironically Sky Sports in the last year think it's hip to do so.  :lol:

I feel like I've never heard of him. Have you lot been watching the Championship a lot or am I missing something?

Seen him regularly for Scotland. Always seems pretty calm and strong in the air. Should do the job.

Never seen him play or know nothing of him, but from the descriptions of him on the Blackburn forum I've just scanned it seems that:

1) Good last season. Relatively shit in prior seasons.

2) Similar story to us in terms of stingy/bad ownership. Owners not spending money despite decent amounts coming in with a £100m+ debt on the clubs books, and now players being sold for cheap to service that debt with none of it being reinvested. Might be the case that we're getting Hanley on the cheap because of this.

3) He seems to have had a problem with being out on the lash regularly, though may have cleaned himself up in this regard last season.

http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/31201-grant-hanley/

I like the sound of all of this. Shades of us getting Woodgate on the cheap in some ways (no comparison intended).

I feel like I've never heard of him. Have you lot been watching the Championship a lot or am I missing something?

He broke into the Blackburn team the year they went down and is/was their club captain after Dann left for Palace.  Played against us a few times, including the FA Cup game where Hatem scored THAT goal.

Scored the winner at Old Trafford that year as well when they won 3-2.

Bring him in as backup and let him force his way into the team. I think the current duo have potential and it would be shitty to just shelve that.

Rafa certainly doesn't mess about though.

Don't really mind him signing at all. Going to be a long season and if I recall correctly Benitez likes to rotate so it's positive to have a bit more experience and especially height.

Actually I had him confused with Ryan Nelsen all up until yesterday. That worried me a bit.

Not too sure about Hanley, (would have preferred Caulker) but Rafa knows best and Im sure he can make him a better player.

A 6 ft 3 physical defender with experience at that level and captain of a team at that level is a good signing. Probably better bet than Caulker where the jury really is out and not convinced he's great at the back, probably better on that ball but happy to have Central Defenders that win the ball and play it simple to more capable midfielders / full backs. Where we are at is building a resilient defence which we have never had.

With a Central Defender the main considerations should be anticipation, concentration, positioning and strength but not can he pick a ball up and dribble past 10 players, or can he play a pinpoint pass down the channels for a winger. First and foremost he should be able to defend and be part of an effective unit.

FMtastic  [emoji38]

Yip almost like Sky Sports I know but didn't mean for it to be honest :).

It's hard not to compare I'd you rattle off a few attributes which normally would be perfectly acceptable in any other circumstance. FM has ruined how you can talk about a footballer... Ironically Sky Sports in the last year think it's hip to do so.  [emoji38]

At least I'm not rating each out of 20 which makes no sense in real life

Squad building. What a novel idea :D.

It really is.

I swear there was a fans forum* where they basically laid out the plan of having as paper thin of a senior squad as possible and rely on reserves/youth expected to fill the gaps, but I can't for the life of me find it.

* - it may have been communicated elsewhere but that's where I remember it from.

Guest RafaelBenitez

He's doing what he did at Napoli, to Newcastle. It's great to see but at the same time, players take time to gel.

Squad building. What a novel idea :D.

It really is.

I swear there was a fans forum* where they basically laid out the plan of having as paper thin of a senior squad as possible and rely on reserves/youth expected to fill the gaps, but I can't for the life of me find it.

* - it may have been communicated elsewhere but that's where I remember it from.

Aye. The 'Purples' era.