Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

Villa fans seem not to rate Clark,

Quote.

You only have to look at that despairing lunge that he made in Ireland’s second game to see how terribly slow he is. He runs like a tortoise towing an elephant. Even in the average quality Championship he’s going to be found wanting.’ - See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/08/interesting-reaction-aston-villa-fans-newcastle-bid-cieran-clark-newcastle-united/#sthash.bujLEddQ.dpuf

Just a reminder lads that we're in the Championship. We're not going to go into the season with 4 Premiership quality centre halves :lol:

Maybe he's completely shite I dunno, but any opinion of him comes exclusively as a Premiership footballer.

I know he's being described as a squad player, but I don't think Rafa would want to spend £5m on anyone unless he saw some potential in there. The comparisons with Danny Simpson might be apt. A lot of fans here absolutely hated him, but he was a solid enough right back if a bit limited. £5m for a utility player isn't exactly breaking the bank even if he turns out to be another Ryan Taylor ( although I fucking hope not).

Also, reading some of the villa fan comments posted earlier, there seems to be a view that his natural position is holding midfield rather than cb, and it was MoN that turned him into a defender. If that's the case, then we definitely could use someone who can come in and do a proper holding job in midfield, assuming Tiote's off.

Just a reminder lads that we're in the Championship. We're not going to go into the season with 4 Premiership quality centre halves :lol:

Maybe he's completely s**** I dunno, but any opinion of him comes exclusively as a Premiership footballer.

I know he's being described as a squad player, but I don't think Rafa would want to spend £5m on anyone unless he saw some potential in there.

It's fuck all tbh, doubt it means anything. Every report suggests he's going to be cover for multiple positions and 5m for that type of player is pretty much the norm nowadays.

Even if we go up and we decide to improve in that position and get rid, we'd probably still recoup the majority of his transfer fee for a defender who's in the Premier League in a team that has just pissed the Championship - assuming we're promoted immediately (which I am).

Maybe he's completely s**** I dunno, but any opinion of him comes exclusively as a Premiership footballer.

I know he's being described as a squad player, but I don't think Rafa would want to spend £5m on anyone unless he saw some potential in there.

It's fuck all tbh, doubt it means anything. Every report suggests he's going to be cover for multiple positions and 5m for that type of player is pretty much the norm nowadays.

I just don't think Rafa's the type to bring in a player he doesn't see something in. He's fairly comprehensive when it comes to scouting players, why would he waste a space on someone who he didn't rate?

Guest reefatoon

Well he probably isn't coming in with that attitude. He will be coming in wanting to impress and play games, which is no doubt what Rafa has told him to do.

I think everyone would happily have a fresh start away from Villa after last season.

New manager or not, I think its safe to say it wouldn't have been a nice place to be last year.