Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not sure why ppl seem to be getting so worked about the number of defeats we've had - the points total is all that matters. Completely irrelevant how those points come about.

Still think we'll go up - Brighton won't keep winning as they seem to be enjoying a great run of luck at the moment and arguably we've been incredibly unlucky in nearly all of our defeats. Very few of them were deserved defeats.

You can't say that Brighton have been lucky - they have deserved their results and are a team with a better mind-set and more experience of fighting to get out of this league than are Newcastle. We were only unlucky at Forest - the rest of the results were deserved because we cannot break down teams that park the bus and compete.

How much of Brighton have you watched this season just out of interest? Consensus from their own supporters seems to be that they were very fortunate yesterday and in the reverse fixture.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?346755-An-apology-to-Fulham

How did we do at Preston, for example ?...lucky to win.

We also had our backs to the wall at Elland Road for a period in the second half..

We never looked like scoring at Fulham or against Sheff Weds...

We have had just as much 'luck' as Brighton and its results that count - near misses mean nothing.

Were you watching the club in 1996...?

Good point; well made. Just had a look at 1992-93. Between 13 December 1992 and 28 March 1993 we only won 6 of 19 games (8 draws). Whereas we'd won 16 of the first 19. We had a strong finish and won 7 of last 8. From memory, it seemed less of an issue as we pretty much stayed top for the whole season.

Rough patch of form. Still don't have much doubt. We desperately need some more fret from midfield and up top but we still create chances. Keep Shelvey fit and injury free and we'll take it comfortably. Looking at the table my biggest concern is Leeds. I can see them winning 7 or 8 games out of 10 for example.

Wish Brighton got promoted last season even more though. Think they'll get an automatic spot. Last season you had 3 teams comfortably better than the rest. Getting pipped at the last minute and injuries cost Brighton in the play-offs. Hull wouldn't have done too well.

Not sure why ppl seem to be getting so worked about the number of defeats we've had - the points total is all that matters. Completely irrelevant how those points come about.

Still think we'll go up - Brighton won't keep winning as they seem to be enjoying a great run of luck at the moment and arguably we've been incredibly unlucky in nearly all of our defeats. Very few of them were deserved defeats.

You can't say that Brighton have been lucky - they have deserved their results and are a team with a better mind-set and more experience of fighting to get out of this league than are Newcastle. We were only unlucky at Forest - the rest of the results were deserved because we cannot break down teams that park the bus and compete.

How much of Brighton have you watched this season just out of interest? Consensus from their own supporters seems to be that they were very fortunate yesterday and in the reverse fixture.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?346755-An-apology-to-Fulham

How did we do at Preston, for example ?...lucky to win.

We also had our backs to the wall at Elland Road for a period in the second half..

We never looked like scoring at Fulham or against Sheff Weds...

We have had just as much 'luck' as Brighton and its results that count - near misses mean nothing.

Were you watching the club in 1996...?

I'm not denying that we've rode our luck at times  - although IMO we deserved to beat Leeds, arguably should have had a point at Fulham after having two blatant handballs turned away and, a late flurry in the last 10 mins or so aside, were generally in control of the game against Preston. Yes, we were shite against Sheffield Wednesday but we got what we deserved. I just find it laughable that Brighton have 'deserved' all of their results whereas we haven't - particularly when you claim that we've been lucky on several occasions and they haven't, yet we've had just as much 'luck' as Brighton over the course of the season? Of course we've been lucky on occasion - although not necessarily in the examples you've cited I'd argue - but it's daft to suggest that Brighton haven't.

I cannot remember a single moment of that game where our backs were against the wall like.

EDIT: From what I've seen the only game we've won which we blatantly didn't deserve was Preston tbh (mainly because of their penalty shout and hitting the post 2 seconds later). Rotherham was sketchy but that was our own doing.

Guest neesy111

We were terrible v Burton 2nd half from some of the people I know who went.  Didn't sound pretty listening to it as well.

On the radio it sounded like they only had 2 half chances near the end - highlights never showed much from them either.

EDIT: They sounded the better team like, I'm on-about us outright being battered/winning due to the referee though. I don't think we've comfortably been the better side in every win this season.

We've won matches quite comfortably that Ando and radio commentary team have absolutely slated our own players for.

Which is pretty bizarre given their defence of Pardew and his players when we were losing 3, 4 and 6-0 at home every other week.

Guest firetotheworks

We've won matches quite comfortably that Ando and radio commentary team have absolutely slated our own players for.

Which is pretty bizarre given their defence of Pardew and his players when we were losing 3, 4 and 6-0 at home every other week.

'The players have got to take a look at themselves, Mick' every time.

'The players have got to take a look at themselves, Mick' every time.

Both of these posts, so true. If you didn't know the score (for the most part) you'd think by listening to the radio commentary that we were losing the match. :lol: It's only adding the to highly emotive reactionary boo-hoo brigade.

We'll have all been in meltdown mode around then in 09/10 I bet. I'll have a deeks.

I can remember the 0-0 at Leicester being particularly poxy.

Just read the thread and yeah. :lol: Peeps very emosh.

Our last two promotion campaigns;

92-93 - 13/12/92 - 28/03/93 - won six out of 19

09-10 - 26/12/09 - 13/02/10 - won three out of 11

I wish some of our fans would chill the eff out! 

In 92/93 KK was able to sign both Andy Cole and Sellars in the period AFTER what is now the Jan transfer window was closed and BOTH made a significant impact on our run-in from beating Tranmere on 28 Feb to the end of the season. Rafa will NOT be able to do that and unless we get the players that are clearly necessary to create and convert real chances in the Jan window, our promotion is not in any way certain...would you be happy to continue the season with the current side and no improvements...?

For me the most stressful wins this season were Norwich, Rotherham and Preston. All other wins I was never once nervous during and we got over the line comfortablely I thought. I know the Rotherham one there might be open to critism but I was watching live and they did have us uo against it for the last 15 mins or so and they hit the posts twice one being our own player hitting it for them and nearly scoring an OG.

Hopefully this little slump in performances we've had where we've not been our best for the last three is just a blip and we can get back to our old ways starting with brentford. A good, solid away win of 0-2 there would make me a very happy and relived man indeed. Another defeat and the worries that we've been found out and lost our way a bit will go on until we play Brighton at least.

The Daily Express have produced an end of season prediction, based on the calculations of  a 'super computer' from Football Web Pages (i.e. somebody with Excel and a rudimentary understanding of statistics...) which takes account of results in games played and relative strengths of teams left to play etc.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/752167/Championship-predicted-table-super-computer-promotion-relegation-sportgalleries

They have us top on 106 points.

The Daily Express have produced an end of season prediction, based on the calculations of  a 'super computer' from Football Web Pages (i.e. somebody with Excel and a rudimentary understanding of statistics...) which takes account of results in games played and relative strengths of teams left to play etc.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/752167/Championship-predicted-table-super-computer-promotion-relegation-sportgalleries

They reckon we'll win all of our remaining home fixtures apart from one, which we'll draw.

Yeah, ok.

They reckon we'll win all of our remaining home fixtures apart from one, which we'll draw.

Yeah, ok.

They've obviously not seen much of us at home, our form at SJP has been the biggest surprise this season for me. I thoroughly expected us to end up with a near perfect record at home and our hopes for promotion would lie in how well we were able to do on the road. Couldn't be further from the truth.