Newcastle United 4 - 1 Reading - 17/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 38

Disco

Was at the game tonight, improvement all round but still quite a few mistakes all over the pitch particularly at the back, the difference today was that we were much better in central midfield and we pressed from front to back from early on, the players individually looked far more up for it as well barring the odd one or two, my ratings are:

Mbemba 7- Good solid display, looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet, solid in the air and didn't really put a foot wrong all night, some nice play in advanced positions too.

Perez 5- Another poor display from this one, didn't want to know from the start, barely made runs, was at times stood on the spot unwilling to help out or make himself available and just generally looked poor and out of his depth, starting to think he just isn't that good I'm afraid, nothing about him whatsoever at the moment, could be down to form, who knows.

Don't agree on those two, Mbemba did ok and was certainly the best defender there, but he made a couple of silly mistakes that could have caused us real problems.  Perez was chasing down the defence/keeper as much as Gayle and running in behind.  Unfortunately a lot of passes to him where lumped up in the air, he does look out of form, but I can't say he looked like he wasn't trying or out of his depth.

Fair play everyone sees what they see but I don't understand how you can say Perez was trying, he never pressed the game once and it was evident because he was only one not actually doing it, I don't rate him as such anyway but regardless I was shocked at how bad and disinterested he actually looked.

Prime example was when Gayle was doubled up on right on the corner spot and Perez was standing about 20 yards away for the entire time he was battling and didn't make himself available, it was shocking and wasn't the only instance of this.

Gayle is as small if not smaller and goes up for absolutely every ball, Perez barely makes an effort and his feet rarely leave the ground, it might be cliche but the championship will be completely out of his depth if he doesn't learn to get stuck in to the game.

Perez will be dropped, rightfully so, once Mitrovic is back.

Was at the game tonight, improvement all round but still quite a few mistakes all over the pitch particularly at the back, the difference today was that we were much better in central midfield and we pressed from front to back from early on, the players individually looked far more up for it as well barring the odd one or two, my ratings are:

Mbemba 7- Good solid display, looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet, solid in the air and didn't really put a foot wrong all night, some nice play in advanced positions too.

Perez 5- Another poor display from this one, didn't want to know from the start, barely made runs, was at times stood on the spot unwilling to help out or make himself available and just generally looked poor and out of his depth, starting to think he just isn't that good I'm afraid, nothing about him whatsoever at the moment, could be down to form, who knows.

Don't agree on those two, Mbemba did ok and was certainly the best defender there, but he made a couple of silly mistakes that could have caused us real problems.  Perez was chasing down the defence/keeper as much as Gayle and running in behind.  Unfortunately a lot of passes to him where lumped up in the air, he does look out of form, but I can't say he looked like he wasn't trying or out of his depth.

Fair play everyone sees what they see but I don't understand how you can say Perez was trying, he never pressed the game once and it was evident because he was only one not actually doing it, I don't rate him as such anyway but regardless I was shocked at how bad and disinterested he actually looked.

Prime example was when Gayle was doubled up on right on the corner spot and Perez was standing about 20 yards away for the entire time he was battling and didn't make himself available, it was shocking and wasn't the only instance of this.

Gayle is as small if not smaller and goes up for absolutely every ball, Perez barely makes an effort and his feet rarely leave the ground, it might be cliche but the championship will be completely out of his depth if he doesn't learn to get stuck in to the game.

I can't remember every instance during the game so you might be right on that example, I can only go off my general feeling watching it.  I certainly remember Perez chasing down the defence and keeper, if he wasn't I'd have been screaming at him to get his arse in gear.  Yeah he's less physical, he's never going to lead the line.  But that's the kind of player he is, he needs a different kind of service, its no good hitting him with long balls.  If that's how we're going to play then we need to move Perez to the left and stick Mitrovic their instead when his suspension is over.

Perez and Hayden showed some nice link up for that Hayden chance. That's what I want to see from Ayoze as a second striker or 10 - dropping in and linking play. Seems this is much more like how Rafa wants us to play: pressing higher, quicker passing, more movement etc. IIRC, he said it'd take us a month to hit top level, I'm looking forward to seeing where we can go - we'll see the defensive mistakes dwindle the more he works with them, IMO. Imperative we recruit more, though; 2 wingers (one loan), a striker and a left-footed left back would be great. If we can ship out one CM for a combative box-to-box mid, I'll be delighted.

I watched a lot of Perez and Goofy tonight and the reason was they both stood out for their lack of willingness to press or contribute.

Perez has undoubted quality but fuck me the kid didnt look bothered again , toon many times he looks like a wee boy in this league.Poor display.

Now Goofy.....another manager gives him a chance, a start out of the blue, youd expect him to grab it, run his heart out, get involved, you know "try to impress" 

No , nothing, he done nothing to suggest he wanted to give his all for that spot in the team, this was his chance to put some heart if not flair into a game. Absolute shit house of a player.

The pair of them were passengers despite the scoreline.

Sound like Brendan Rodgers, but the stats were a bit worrying.  They seemed to have far more of the ball and had a lot more passes and crosses.  Obviously, we needed a response and the result is the most important thing.  But I was surprised to see that in a home game, we didn't dominate possession and chances created. 

Of course, I haven't seen the game.  So a lot of it could have just been them passing it about at the back, like we used to do under Pardew. 

I don't care if 4-1 flattered us, mind.  Desperately needed a win of some sort and it's nice we managed to pour it on.  Should help us settle and give the players a bit of belief. 

Sound like Brendan Rodgers, but the stats were a bit worrying.  They seemed to have far more of the ball and had a lot more passes and crosses.  Obviously, we needed a response and the result is the most important thing.  But I was surprised to see that in a home game, we didn't dominate possession and chances created. 

Of course, I haven't seen the game.  So a lot of it could have just been them passing it about at the back, like we used to do under Pardew. 

I don't care if 4-1 flattered us, mind.  Desperately needed a win of some sort and it's nice we managed to pour it on.  Should help us settle and give the players a bit of belief.

Having lots of the ball hasn't worked at all so far this season, happy to let the opposition have it a bit more as we can set up to counter when we win it back.  Still feeling our way into this season but confident we will get it right, especially with the bloke we have in the dugout

It's an incredibly common tactic for a team to play it around at the back to draw teams out. Looks like you're doing nothing when the opposition don't press though :lol:

Passing side to side and then ending up lumping it forward, when you have no options, was more what I was referring to.  I've seen that a lot in recent years watching us!

It's an incredibly common tactic for a team to play it around at the back to draw teams out. Looks like you're doing nothing when the opposition don't press though :lol:

Passing side to side and then ending up lumping it forward, when you have no options, was more what I was referring to.  I've seen that a lot in recent years watching us!

Yeah, i know. We've had precious few intelligent footballers for a while tbh. I can imagine them being told what to do in training but they've rarely had the nous to put it into practice in the match. Saying that, Colo was good at passing it out from the back.

In the first half we were quite happy for Reading to have the ball around the back because they looked really uncomfortable doing it and kept giving the ball away. They looked much more dangerous when they played long balls to the opposite wings.  It was clear Stam wanted them to pass it out from the back but I thought they looked really poor doing it in the 1st half, whereas Huddersfield tried to get it to the wings or their strikers as quickly as possible instead of slow buildup

I watched a lot of Perez and Goofy tonight and the reason was they both stood out for their lack of willingness to press or contribute.

Perez has undoubted quality but f*** me the kid didnt look bothered again , toon many times he looks like a wee boy in this league.Poor display.

This is absolute bollocks by the way, unsurprisingly from this poster.

Ayoze wasn't a passenger. He won the ball back with a fantastic tackle that lead to the Gayle freekick goal, he got pulled back which lead to the freekick for the 1st goal, played a lovely through ball to Hayden which resulted in us nearly scoring and made some delightful runs and touches in the first half. He was nowhere near his best but to say he was a passenger is bollocks

In the first half we were quite happy for Reading to have the ball around the back because they looked really uncomfortable doing it and kept giving the ball away. They looked much more dangerous when they played long balls to the opposite wings.  It was clear Stam wanted them to pass it out from the back but I thought they looked really poor doing it in the 1st half, whereas Huddersfield tried to get it to the wings or their strikers as quickly as possible instead of slow buildup

Perez has undoubted quality but f*** me the kid didnt look bothered again , toon many times he looks like a wee boy in this league.Poor display.

This is absolute bollocks by the way, unsurprisingly from this poster.

Ayoze wasn't a passenger. He won the ball back with a fantastic tackle that lead to the Gayle freekick goal, he got pulled back which lead to the freekick for the 1st goal, played a lovely through ball to Hayden which resulted in us nearly scoring and made some delightful runs and touches in the first half. He was nowhere near his best but to say he was a passenger is bollocks

I note you quote my post but look back at previous posts by TIoteWD ....confirms my assesment of him as well.

So im not alone in thinking his performance was just so dissapointing , not for the first time.

Its about opinions and i have mine, he will be dropped for Mitro...why? Because he's not good enough.

It doesn't matter really if they had more of the ball.  At this level opponents will create chances but we should have the quality so that we take our chances whilst the opponents don't.  That's often the difference at this level.  Either that or being rock solid at the back which we aren't.

My mate at the game says it's just as bad as Saturday.

He's fucking lying. There is much more movement, ok we eased off after our goal but their is much more movement. Reading are spooking the game by going down under every challenge and the referee is giving them the free kick every time. If we go at the tempo that we had before he goal then Reading will not stand a chance.

Told you. In fact I don't think we even created that much but we were more positive again and Reading were undone. We made the most of set pieces, but our quality showed and we didn't even get going.

It doesn't matter really if they had more of the ball.  At this level opponents will create chances but we should have the quality so that we take our chances whilst the opponents don't.  That's often the difference at this level.  Either that or being rock solid at the back which we aren't.

They had more of the ball but a lot of it was being played across the back and a lot of their attacks were long balls lumped forward. In the first half they reliad on going down under every challenge to regaining the ball and it worked for them which gained them possession more than they should have had, in the 2nd half it never worked for them as the referee was stronger willed against giving them stuff including 3/4 ridiculous penalty appeals.