Newcastle United v Brighton & Hove Albion 17.30 27/08/2016 (Sky Sports 1)

Dan

Ah bollocks. Going to this one and it's  a cobbled together strike force.. A start for Armstrong, please

With him just signing the new contract it does seem an ideal time to give him a start and see how he does.

I wont be happy with anything less than 3 at home. Sickens me how low our expectations have become overall.

Agree. These are the sorts of games we need to win at home against our rivals. They'd take a point now, as would we at their place. Mitro and Gayle are a massive miss, but if we can control the midfield then chances will come.

The Brighton team who drew 2-2 with Reading last weekend:

Stockdale, Rosenior, Bruno, Dunk, Bong, Knockaert, Sidwell, Kayal, Skalak, Murray, Baldock

They really are not that good fgs :lol: the standard of this league is not good at all. People love being terrified on here at times, we're at home against a team who have a 50 year old Steve Sidwell playing for them. Knockaert is a good player, but was chucked by Leicester as soon as they got up.

We've had an average start but we are playing better each week, we'll still comfortably get promoted from this league if that Brighton team is one of our main competitors.

We players we've sold/loaned: Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, Steven Taylor, Remy Cabella,  Andros Townsend, Fabricio Coloccini, Papiss Cisse, Gini Wijnaldum, Florian Thauvin, Siem De Jong, Kevin Mbabu, Henri Saivet, Daryl Janmaat, Tim Krul.

Other than Krul (who is still returning from a bad injury), Townsend & Wijnaldum, I'm not terrible concerned about losing any of the others. For years we've moaned about not getting rid of the likes of Taylor, Coloccini, Cisse etc. now we've had a very good clear out of average players and people are panicking all over the shop and moaning about making a profit. Wake up, we're going to make a profit when idiots like Liverpool are willing to spend £25m on Wijnaldum, whereas we can buy players like Ritchie for a very good price.

The players that we have bought in might not be exciting names (Hanley for example) but they are all more than good enough to win this league. Hanley was the captain of Blackburn, he's not some plodder we've picked up from Scunthorpe. Ritchie, Diame & Gayle would get into a few of  the Premier League teams. We've signed a lot of players for depth, we could field two different starting 11s which are both good enough to win this league.

I could just as easily post Leicester's team from last season and say "look, what a load of s****".

Aye, very true - but how often does that ever happen?

There will always be one team who has an outstanding season that nobody expected before anyone kicked a ball (Huddersfield looking like that team, so far).

But 95% of the time, the winners of this division are the best team on paper.

I could just as easily post Leicester's team from last season and say "look, what a load of s****".

There will always be one team who has an outstanding season that nobody expected before anyone kicked a ball (Huddersfield looking like that team, so far).

more than you'd think.

think huddersfield and fulham this season.

With the striker news I would absolutely, 100% take a point.

There's still goals in our team though. Perez, Diame and Ritchie are quite capable of getting a goal, and shock horror, even Gouffran might nick one.

I don't know how you can say that with any degree of surety, it sounds like cliche without basis in fact. Were Burnley the best squad in the Championship "on paper" last season? Maybe they were, I honestly have no idea, I find it slightly hard to believe though given that QPR and Hull didn't lose too many players. What about Bournemouth the season before, having just finished tenth?

Brighton are an extremely good side at this level, free scoring and tight at the back, with a manager who has taken a side up before and we'll have to up our game from what we've seen so far to match them.