Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

I'm not convinced by him at all. He's 25 and is very erratic. I really hope we're signing him purely because we have nobody else and he's going to be backup.

Saying that, I hope it's similar to Perez's situation, whereby he plays better in the Prem against a different style of football.

O0  this by the spades full..............he just doesn't do it for me, but its cheap and better than goofy

Not so long ago we were putting up with Pancrate, Marveuax and Obertan as back up wingers or even starting wingers.

Don't see how anybody can question this signing for such a small fee. He is a decent player, certainly good enough to step in when required in the PL. £6m is nothing these days and he's a tricky, skilful winger that will cause a few problems.

Agree that he should be backup, though rather than a starter - which will be the case considering Rafa didn't even play him every week in the Championship.

Guest chopey

Anderson didn't even seem to know we are allegedly in talks to sign him, on TS earlier. Still asking the question, if we should be thinking about signing him permanently or not. Makes you wonder what prep they do for the show??!!

I've said this for years, the ability to play proffessional football does not automatically make you a football expert, for every Gary Neville and Frank Lampard there's 100 Paul Merson's.

Not happy with this, he's just too small and offers nothing defensively. If we have him and one of Anita or Yedlin at full back behind him we'll get overrun down our right. Seems like a canny lad; I just can't see him tearing up PL defences and I can see him leaving gaps behind him. Our right hand side was getting targeted in the Championship god knows what PL sides will do.

Not so long ago we were putting up with Pancrate, Marveuax and Obertan as back up wingers or even starting wingers.

Don't see how anybody can question this signing for such a small fee. He is a decent player, certainly good enough to step in when required in the PL. £6m is nothing these days and he's a tricky, skilful winger that will cause a few problems.

Agree that he should be backup, though rather than a starter - which will be the case considering Rafa didn't even play him every week in the Championship.

:thup:

He's a good option for coming off the bench against tiring legs and £6m is nowt, especially with his best years ahead of him.

Not happy with this, he's just too small and offers nothing defensively. If we have him and one of Anita or Yedlin at full back behind him we'll get overrun down our right. Seems like a canny lad; I just can't see him tearing up PL defences and I can see him leaving gaps behind him. Our right hand side was getting targeted in the Championship god knows what PL sides will do.

Don't think it's a 'size' thing like (think: Messi, Keegan, even Wise, McCreery and Batty if you want pint sized players with bite)

Guest ElCid

Not a good signing not premiership quality by a long way no secret that Chelsea, Everton or Bournemouth don't/didn't think he was good enough

Not a good signing not premiership quality by a long way no secret that Chelsea, Everton or Bournemouth don't/didn't think he was good enough

He was injured for pretty much his entire time at Bournemouth and Everton like.

Don't think it's a 'size' thing like (think: Messi, Keegan, even Wise, McCreery and Batty if you want pint sized players with bite)

Size does matter when you have no physical presence to impose yourself. At the top level it is very rare to become a regular if you do not have either. Atsu lists his height as 5ft 8, he's nowhere near that so why state that is your height. Rafa is 5ft 9. You decide. Not his fault but it counts massively against him.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=atsu+benitez&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlhK6J1vLTAhXBLMAKHeAQCucQ_AUICigC&biw=1024&bih=649#imgrc=XH3PiroJUOV4GM:

Size does matter when you have no physical presence to impose yourself. At the top level it is very rare to become a regular if you do not have either. Atsu lists his height as 5ft 8, he's nowhere near that so why state that is your height. Rafa is 5ft 9. You decide. Not his fault but it counts massively against him.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=atsu+benitez&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlhK6J1vLTAhXBLMAKHeAQCucQ_AUICigC&biw=1024&bih=649#imgrc=XH3PiroJUOV4GM:

No physical presence, ok so you wouldn't want to sign David Silva? (173cm and a lightweight; Hazard is also 173 cm; Coutinho 171cm; Atsu is 172cm).

Atsu is nowhere near 172cm. You have to absolutely exceptional in every other area to make up for this. Have people not seen what Championship sides have done to us down our right? If we are going to settle for this type of signing we've got problems. Does anyone think that Atsu in front of Anita at fullback would be acceptable?

Atsu is nowhere near 172cm. You have to absolutely exceptional in every other area to make up for this. Have people not seen what Championship sides have done to us down our right? If we are going to settle for this type of signing we've got problems. Does anyone think that Atsu in front of Anita at fullback would be acceptable?

You really don't have to be exceptional everywhere if you're short. He's fast and direct enough to where his size isn't going to matter, especially on the wing. He's a decent squad player who can be useful off the bench

He's gonna probably be used against tired legs away from home, and maybe against weaker sides at home. He offers depth to the bench, can go on either flank, and won't be demanding to be a starter.

If he's our first choice wide player next season I'd be worried, but I'm fairly confident that he won't be.