Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

Bit torn on this. On the one hand I think he's maybe too lightweight for the Premiership, and that given his pace/abilities he didn't really stand out enough or produce enough chances for others in a second tier devoid of any real defensive talent where most players are one-paced. £6m might not be much today, but if that £6m could be redistributed to other bids to increase them it could be the difference in us getting someone of real quality who we really want/need for the first team.

But on the other hand it's £6m for a moderately skillful and pacey winger who might be no different in the Premiership (ala Routledge), either starting games in rotation or providing 20-30 minute cameos when needed. He already has good experience in England with NUFC so it's relatively low risk. Plus I think there's a possibility that that nonchalant free kick will have boosted his confidence and self-belief, and that even though it was just one free kick he might well be a better player for it.

Knows the club, players, manager, system. Decent cover with attributes that also can fulfill a strategic purpose on the bench if he is brought on late in a game against tired legs. Cheap.

No brainer if you ask me.

et's not forget that despite not having the best season with us, he had good performances on the international stage so it is very plausible that his performance for us can improve next season even if the opposition is better than this year.

I don't even think he was that bad and those being critical are being very harsh tbh, i have seen many crap performances from other players who don't get anywhere near as much flak.

Definitely a good signing for the money spent and a good addition to the squad.

By biggest concern with Atsu was that until the last few weeks of the season he was fairly ineffective when starting, however he always caused trouble when coming off the bench, and for that price, its a no brainier.

Something I just realised, Atsu was a hell of a lot more effective when Ritchie was out, so I wonder if Rafa was instructing him to sit further back to cover Dummett, which is why he would run into trouble when attacking as he'd have to make up more ground.

Happy with this, not a huge risk and he's 25 so is still improving too. 1st step in the market seems a good'un, albeit an expected one.

Also, he's been on loan a lot, so being settled on a permanent transfer can only be a good thing for any player.

Something I just realised, Atsu was a hell of a lot more effective when Ritchie was out

I genuinely think that's because he's better on the right than the left, trouble is that means playing them together isn't very optimal. Even if he's just used as back up for Ritchie and we get another left winger then it's still a very good signing imo.

It's a great deal and a no brainer. Absolutely have to tie this one up for that price.

He made a very solid contribution over the season, which would have been even greater if he hadn't gone off to the AFCON. He's s also happy to be a part of the squad and performs when called upon.

Think he can only continue to get better, considering it was his first full season of football in a while. A full pre season under Rafa, having now fully adjusted to being here, and I think he will be far more improved next season.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's an attacking threat and someone who we can bring on to change things if need be and at a relatively small price as well. It's a no brainier really.