Would you ever consider forgiving Ashley in the future if success is brought?

HaydnNUFC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This was a topic me and a few match going mates were talking about before the Brighton game; if we get promoted and under Rafa success is brought here, for example a League Cup/FA Cup win or a top 4 finish, or even both, would you ever be able to forgive the man for everything he has done at NUFC during his tenure as owner?

Voted yes. Not sure I would forgive him if we got the top four but given the paucity of success at this club I would have to describe his stewardship as a success if we won a trophy.

Not really sure forgiveness is the right word because he made me hate football for a long time but I would certainly be willing to let it slide.

I don't hate him now. I think he's made some bad decisions... many, many bad decisions. But I don't think he's intentionally doing stuff to piss us off, nor do I think he doesn't care about success. I think he had a vision of how to achieve it but lacked the football knowledge to make it work, didn't surround himself with the right people, and didn't have the humility to fix the situation quickly enough.

Trying to turn a profit by selling our best players every season and either not replacing them, or replacing them with cheap French imports, wasn't done because he wants us to fail. He just had an idea of how he wanted the business side to run and under-estimated the difficulty in recruiting the right players.

I think bouncing back from the first relegation and then the 5th place finish might have made him think he was on the right track, that he could always find a Demba Ba to buy or an Andy Carroll to promote and keep us ticking over, but the unmistakable downward trend and the risk of us becoming a yo-yo club (particularly at a time of increased TV revenues) has finally over-shadowed the minor successes and forced him to change his game plan.

He's not a vindictive cunt in my view. I feel like I can see what he was trying to do. He's just not a football man in any shape or form... and he certainly isn't like us as fans.

If we got back to the Premier League and were safely staying there and win a cup then he will have made us a more successful club. Will I forgive him, it's hard to say, would I give him a chance, yes and I'm giving him a chance now.

All things so far seem to indicate that he's learning and wanting to change. The big test will come when he needs to invest money and the club needs spend more than it earns in sales, as well as replacing Rafa (hopefully years off) with someone who is capable of doing his job.

He has a lot of tests still to come (assuming he doesn't sell), and as of now I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he comes across those tests.

If we got back to the Premier League and were safely staying there and win a cup then he will have made us a more successful club. Will I forgive him, it's hard to say, would I give him a chance, yes and I'm giving him a chance now.

All things so far seem to indicate that he's learning and wanting to change. The big test will come when he needs to invest money and the club needs spend more than it earns in sales, as well as replacing Rafa (hopefully years off) with someone who is capable of doing his job.

He has a lot of tests still to come (assuming he doesn't sell), and as of now I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he comes across those tests.

Pure speculation... but with the increased money in the Premier League, should we bounce back I think there will be plenty of people looking at us as an option now. Assuming Ashley's valuation of the club doesn't increase too wildly, I can imagine us being sold.

I think the fact we're not still protesting now speaks volumes really, fact is that we would forget about the shit times quick enough if we won something of real value. Not proud of it but that seems inescapable.

I think it's a case of the fans being firmly behind Rafa. Rafa has said how our support is important (also a major reason to why he stayed). Had Rafa not stayed then things would have got ugly for Ashley. I honestly think the fans are behind Rafa rather than forgiving Ashley.

Pure speculation... but with the increased money in the Premier League, should we bounce back I think there will be plenty of people looking at us as an option now. Assuming Ashley's valuation of the club doesn't increase too wildly, I can imagine us being sold.

Well with clubs in the Championship being sold in the hope of the owners taking them to the Premier Leaguw then a club like us will always be an attractive proposition you would imagine.

I think the fact we're not still protesting now speaks volumes really, fact is that we would forget about the shit times quick enough if we won something of real value. Not proud of it but that seems inescapable.

I think it's a case of the fans being firmly behind Rafa. Rafa has said how our support is important (also a major reason to why he stayed). Had Rafa not stayed then things would have got ugly for Ashley. I honestly think the fans are behind Rafa rather than forgiving Ashley.

Yeah fair point, but what I mean is we've already found the capacity to think about something else.

Ashley is on thin ice though obviously, everything would go back to bitter hatred in a minute if anything happened with Rafa.

Yeah fair point, but what I mean is we've already found the capacity to think about something else.

Ashley is on thin ice though obviously, everything would go back to bitter hatred in a minute if anything happened with Rafa.

All true, which is why it's important for Ashley to do things the right way and to learn from his previous actions. He has a chance now, be it a deliberate chance from the fans or just because the situation we are currently in requires it, he needs to take this chance.

Ashley could be a great owner, that's been mostly my frustration with him in the past. All the ingredients are there, self made rich, doesn't want publicity not someone who courts day to day involvement. He's just continually surrounded himself with people who haven't got a clue.

The appointment of Rafa and giving him the reins is a start, if he can continue along this path of sound football decisions then I will be more than happy to support him. Some of the things a lot find indefensible are not as important to me though, for example living in Canada I had no idea who Wonga were and still to this day don't care. The renaming of St James', I can understand the pain that put a lot of people through but if it had meant an extra player was bought with the income coming in from stadium branding personally I wouldn't have been too concerned, not of course that that happened.

Ashley could be a great owner, that's been mostly my frustration with him in the past. All the ingredients are there, self made rich, doesn't want publicity not someone who courts day to day involvement. He's just continually surrounded himself with people who haven't got a clue.

The appointment of Rafa and giving him the reins is a start, if he can continue along this path of sound football decisions then I will be more than happy to support him. Some of the things a lot find indefensible are not as important to me though, for example living in Canada I had no idea who Wonga were and still to this day don't care. The renaming of St James', I can understand the pain that put a lot of people through but if it had meant an extra player was bought with the income coming in from stadium branding personally I wouldn't have been too concerned, not of course that that happened.

I would guess that counts for at least 10,000 on our current attendances, possibly more.