Leeds United vs Newcastle United - 20/11/16 @ 13:15 - SS1

The NUFC job is only 'less difficult' because of Rafa himself turning the situation around. I'd argue before he came in it was one of the hardest jobs in football.

Tbh I think most managers would get us out of the championship this season given the money we've been able to spend, all of which has been collected from transfers out it must be said, and the players we already had at the club

Maybe, but again, because Rafa has turned the ethos of the club around. Easy to forget just how defeatist the entire place was before. 'The players we already had' were performing like absolute shite.

It's not as easy as it seems to just bring in some players and walk the Championship if it's on the back of an institutional culture of failure.

The NUFC job is only 'less difficult' because of Rafa himself turning the situation around. I'd argue before he came in it was one of the hardest jobs in football.

Tbh I think most managers would get us out of the championship this season given the money we've been able to spend, all of which has been collected from transfers out it must be said, and the players we already had at the club

Maybe, but again, because Rafa has turned the ethos of the club around. Easy to forget just how defeatist the entire place was before. 'The players we already had' were performing like absolute shite.

It's not as easy as it seems to just bring in some players and walk the Championship if it's on the back of an institutional culture of failure.

It's still a lot easier than going to Leeds with little money and shit players

If we stay top people will play down the achievement at every turn just because we're Newcastle and we're the biggest club in the league. On May 30th, everyone else had as much chance of getting promoted as we did.

I don't think so necessarily. If Leeds were top of the league, then agreed I guess.

What would that have to do with anything?

He would be would be doing better than he is now.

But I never mentioned that he is doing better than Rafa

I just don't think they had the ability to turn the club around. The squad, aye, but we needed a big name to change the mentality of the club and we needed someone of his ability to fix everything behind the scenes. I still rate Hughton and those like him but we really have the one guy who could change it to the extent that he has.

I would never say we are lucky to have him like. We sold ourself to him. He came here because he knew what this city was about.

We would have been mid table atm if it weren't for Benitez

Bullshit!! :lol: We´d still be comfortably at the top. Just as last time we were in this division. Same thing then as now. Lots of underperforming PL-players dominating the championship.

Bullshit!! :lol: We´d still be comfortably at the top. Just as last time we were in this division. Same thing then as now. Lots of underperforming PL-players dominating the championship.

If Rafa had of walked away then the press were heavily speculating Warnock! There'd be crowds of around 30K and a horrendous gloomy atmosphere so no chance we'd be comfortably top! The club would have been totally on its knees if Rafa had of left in the summer!

If Rafa had of walked away then the press were heavily speculating Warnock! There'd be crowds of around 30K and a horrendous gloomy atmosphere so no chance we'd be comfortably top! The club would have been totally on its knees if Rafa had of left in the summer!

Difficult to tell, but in truth we have the bloke, he's just someone we are really happy with and trust.No matter how it ends we will be behind him.

I had my doubts at the start of the season, i was made to look like a mug , Rafa isnt a god , he's just a Spanish manager who is putting his all in to getting us back up.

Next season is a test whichever way it goes.

Now lets get something at Leeds  O0

I'm weirdly confident in my opinion that we'll lose this one for some reason. Might put a bet on to soften the blow if it happens.

That's because all the media etc are depicting this as a more difficult game than any we have faced which is not strictly true ; what IS true is that we are playing a team against whom there has always been a degree of niggle at a time when they are showing some good form...and we are away from home too.

My only concerns surround our own side and whether they have the bottle and collective grit to overcome the obvious disadvantages after they have become used to steamrollering previous opponents - the fact is that if both sides play to their true capabilities, we should narrowly win...if not, and we play below par, we could lose.

The longer we keep a clean sheet, the more likely we are to win..an early goal for them will get their tails up.

An interesting scenario - normally, I wouldn't worry too much about a defeat after so many wins but in this case, I want to see NUFC ram Monk's words down his throat...

What words were they?

He said that he thought Norwich were a better side than NUFC and more likely to win the league.

I think Sunday has the potential to be a bit of a banana skin. Hopefully Rafa will have instilled the right attitude into the players, as I can see Leeds starting very quickly. It will be a very hostile atmosphere - I remember listening to the game down there in 1989 and there was apparently all sorts going on. :( Vinnie Jones was at Leeds, at that time. Seem to remember that NUFC were given a very small allocation for that too.

I was at that game. Got a ticket from someone at the club in our allocation for directors/club execs. Aside from the small official allocation we were given, there were about 100 of us in with the Leeds fans - although the area was mainly family and pretty friendly. We got chatting to the guy in front who was hanging onto a brown paper bag, and when we asked him what he was hiding it turned out he'd bought a Gordon the Gopher puppet for his daughter for Xmas and had got them to plain wrap it so his mates wouldn't rip the p*ss out of him in the pub about it before the game. :)

I remember a cracking move from us and McGhee getting on the end of it and drilling the ball towards the bottom corner, only for Mervyn Day to pull off a worldy and tip it round the post. From the resultant corner, they swept upfield and Baird scored the only goal of the game. At that point the bloke it front went crackers, and our disappointment was slightly assuaged by seeing Gordon the Gopher fly about fifteen rows forward in the melee. Don't think he got it back either....

That's one I don't mind tbf. Family in attendance, first meeting since his death?

Hardly clapping for Matt Sels or 3 years of meaningless applause.

Is Sels deed? :(

Nah just learning how to catch a ball.

That's one I don't mind tbf. Family in attendance, first meeting since his death?

Hardly clapping for Matt Sels or 3 years of meaningless applause.

Is Sels deed? :(

Nah just learning how to catch a ball.

Some people find that meaningless applause meaningful

Without sounding harsh, its totally unessecary imo.

Soon an entire 90minutes will be taken up applauding for something.

I'm sick of clapping and tributes etc as well but it is the anniversary of his death next weekend.

Meh, soon we'll be dedicating each minute of the 90 to someone.

God knows I loved Gary Speed, one of the best players in recent years to grace our team.  Absolute tragic circumstances and situation however we paid tribute to him afterwards and that should be that imo.  How long do you keep this kind of thing going for?