Wigan Athletic 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 14/12/16 - Post-match reaction from pg11

BlueStar

Don't give a stuff about away performances as long as we get the necessary result ; this is an element that has been lacking from NUFC for many years as we have never been really able to string together a series of ground-out away wins...its either been a great attacking performance(rare)or a defeat.

Having said that, there is no doubt in my mind that there will have to be at least 4 new, PL-standard players bought if and when we go back to the PL...and that is with this team. Heaven help us if we managed to blow it now, but this is Newcastle United..!! Hopefully Rafa has instilled enough professionalism in these guys to keep the wagon rolling along. From reports we are getting about Mbabu's performances in Switzerland, he could be a real benefit in future and may save us some needed spend on a LB.

I thought Wigan were surprisingly good. They had zero quality but really got stuck into us and made a game of it.

We were shite. Lost our composure far too quickly. We had a bit of joy when we went more direct in the first half.

Doesn't matter, we will probably batter Burton.

I thought Wigan were surprisingly good. They had zero quality but really got stuck into us and made a game of it.

We were s****. Lost our composure far too quickly. We had a bit of joy when we went more direct in the first half.

Doesn't matter, we will probably batter Burton.

Thought we went more direct in the 2nd half tbh.

Wigan were crap and didn't really look like ever scoring.  We created a few chances, scored 2, 3 points and job done. Another step nearer.  These are games we used to lose with regularity under Pards so nice to win ugly now and then. Not a great spectacle but that was mainly down to the way Wigan were set up

Not the greatest performance but yet another comfortable victory.

Lascelles had an absolute shocker today like.

Diame was good, his goal was excellent.

A win on Saturday will set us up to have a lovely Christmas before football resumes.

Didn't think Lacelles was that bad. One moment stands out where their fat Dutch winger was in a great position but he covered and made an excellent block and won and goal kick n all in the process. Excellent defending.

Aye, that was great defending. It's just a shame he spent the other 91 minutes passing the ball out of play and to Wigan players :lol:

There was a run in the first half by a Wigan player where he lunged in and was lucky to narrowly miss the Wigan player or it'd have been a pen.

He was rubbish, but most of the others were too. He just seemed to stand out more imo.

He was no worse than Clark tbf. In fact i thought Clark played more inaccurate or aimless long balls. For either of them to have 'a shocker' with the opposition barley registering a shot on goal does smack of hyperbole, like.

They were both good enough at defending but neither of them used the ball consistently well.

Our apparent lethargy may have been a consequence of the lack of intensity in the game. It's hard, even for good players, to raise the level of their game much beyond what is required at the time.

We would probably benefit from a game where the opposition are coming at us in a more positive way and we have to start slugging it out with them.

Re the Wigan fans, actually feel sorry for them. No home goal since September and it's not like it is up here when it's shit - i.e. it's in the blood or just part of a great day out in a buzzing city. Credit to those Wigan fans who are still turning out.

Guest firetotheworks

I wasn't worried at any point like. I didn't think we were particularly brilliant or anything, but my general view on the match as a whole was that it was really, really boring. At 1-0 up I didn't worry about them at all tbh.

Guest Irishmalt

Anita gave everyone the jitters him and Gayle were powderpuff at tackling and covering ... it was certainly a game for Mitrovich last night with a bit of muscle and good old fashioned brawn up front. Grigg held the ball well for them we had no-one up front to do that.

Anita gave everyone the jitters him and Gayle were powderpuff at tackling and covering ... it was certainly a game for Mitrovich last night with a bit of muscle and good old fashioned brawn up front. Grigg held the ball well for them we had no-one up front to do that.

You realise we won, right?

I'm not going to complain. I watched it on TV, I didn't enjoy it. But Newcastle United Football Club are not in the business of making good TV.

If you went to the match and didn't enjoy yourself then maybe get some books on how to make the most of a day out.

Complaining about the lack of entertainment just gives Ashley a reason to sack Rafa and claim he is doing it in response to the fans demands.

"We're delighted with the job Rafa did in getting us back to the Premiership, but felt Alan Pardew's front-foot football is what the fans deserve"