Birmingham 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 07/01/2017 Post-match reaction from page 14

BlueStar

I knew Shelvey was going to be a miss but I had no idea how much our whole attacking play is based purely around him.

This. We desperately need him back but at the same time we need a couple of flair players bought this January just in case he gets injured or suspended again. It's shit that we are pinning all our hopes on getting Promotion on Shelvey.

or calls someone something nasty  :lol:

Still haven't recovered from that second half. So bad. We played a 5-3-2 with Haidara as the left sided centre back, Yedlin and Lazaar wing backs. Yedlin was pretty much the only attacking threat in the second half, often on a hiding to nothing as nobody can keep up with him. Then Ritchie came on and we went back to 4-4-Gouffran-1 with Anita at right back and Yedlin right midfield. Jutkiewicz should have won it for them twice, the first time he totally mistimed his jump and missed by a mile, the second time he missed by a cats pube. Hanley was probably our best player. Murphy won everything to begin with but that didn't last long.

We started off pretty well, Tiote got over confident and they started to pressure him and Colback into mistakes, and of course we kept giving them free kicks around the box. After 5 minutes of us failing to learn our lesson and giving up possession in our own half they equalised. Sels then went into full on crisp packet hands mode and was atrocious from there on in. There was one in the second half where they put in a hopeless cross that bounced towards the far post. Anita was covering and there wasn't a Birmingham player within 10 yards, yet Sels decided to two handed slap it away. That was right in front of the away end, some fans were really getting at him from no more than 10 metres away. He's shite but that isn't going to help him.

At least Shelvey will be back for the replay, hopefully Perez too. I don't think Perez has had a good season but he's like Pele compared to Gouffran. At one stage in the first half, Gouffran half heartedly chased down a long ball, dangled a token leg to take it round the keeper and got to the ball first, but neglected to pass or shoot from a tight angle with an open goal. Remarkable.

Pretty sure most our fans on Twitter spend their time before and after an away game having a personality disorder. Before - we're so well supported, we take loads away, we're the best. After - our fans are shite because they don't behave exactly as I do, atmosphere is only good when the away allocation is small,

Pretty sure most our fans on Twitter spend their time before and after an away game having a personality disorder. Before - we're so well supported, we take loads away, we're the best. After - our fans are s**** because they don't behave exactly as I do, atmosphere is only good when the away allocation is small,

I wish people would realise that the atmosphere tends to follow the performance on the pitch.

If we're playing well, it's a good atmosphere. If we're not, then it's not a great one. That was further evidenced yesterday where the atmosphere was great initially but then died down, similar to the team.

Still haven't recovered from that second half. So bad. We played a 5-3-2 with Haidara as the left sided centre back, Yedlin and Lazaar wing backs. Yedlin was pretty much the only attacking threat in the second half, often on a hiding to nothing as nobody can keep up with him. Then Ritchie came on and we went back to 4-4-Gouffran-1 with Anita at right back and Yedlin right midfield. Jutkiewicz should have won it for them twice, the first time he totally mistimed his jump and missed by a mile, the second time he missed by a cats pube. Hanley was probably our best player. Murphy won everything to begin with but that didn't last long.

We started off pretty well, Tiote got over confident and they started to pressure him and Colback into mistakes, and of course we kept giving them free kicks around the box. After 5 minutes of us failing to learn our lesson and giving up possession in our own half they equalised. Sels then went into full on crisp packet hands mode and was atrocious from there on in. There was one in the second half where they put in a hopeless cross that bounced towards the far post. Anita was covering and there wasn't a Birmingham player within 10 yards, yet Sels decided to two handed slap it away. That was right in front of the away end, some fans were really getting at him from no more than 10 metres away. He's shite but that isn't going to help him.

At least Shelvey will be back for the replay, hopefully Perez too. I don't think Perez has had a good season but he's like Pele compared to Gouffran. At one stage in the first half, Gouffran half heartedly chased down a long ball, dangled a token leg to take it round the keeper and got to the ball first, but neglected to pass or shoot from a tight angle with an open goal. Remarkable.

Agree with most of this.

First 20 minutes we were well on top, if Hanley or Gouffran put away their chances we win the game comfortably I suspect. Second half was absolute dross. Tiote looked like the best player on the pitch for first 15 minutes but they were giving him time and space on the ball. Once pressured he reverted to type and nearly cost us a couple of times.

From where I was it looked like all Gouffran had to do was tap it into an empty net from a tight angle but one he should manage but for some reason he turned back. Would like to see that again.

Pretty sure most our fans on Twitter spend their time before and after an away game having a personality disorder. Before - we're so well supported, we take loads away, we're the best. After - our fans are s**** because they don't behave exactly as I do, atmosphere is only good when the away allocation is small,

I wish people would realise that the atmosphere tends to follow the performance on the pitch.

If we're playing well, it's a good atmosphere. If we're not, then it's not a great one. That was further evidenced yesterday where the atmosphere was great initially but then died down, similar to the team.

same at Blackburn  O0

I knew Shelvey was going to be a miss but I had no idea how much our whole attacking play is based purely around him.

It's amazing really, reminds me of Pardew building everything around Cabaye. The moment he went we just looked absolutely terrible. Hopefully Rafa can sort out this problem quickly.

Guest reefatoon

It's amazing really, reminds me of Pardew building everything around Cabaye. The moment he went we just looked absolutely terrible. Hopefully Rafa can sort out this problem quickly.

complete myth. We looked fucking terrible for a good while, when Cabaye was still here.

Guest neesy111

Just seen the highlights. How on earth did Gouffran manage not to score? Incredible.

Looked more difficult than made out imo.

complete myth. We looked fucking terrible for a good while, when Cabaye was still here.

Cabaye was average for large parts of his time here, he was just rarely very poor.

It's because we only ever have one midfielder who actually thinks about playing it forward despite playing deep at any one time at the club. Rest of them are always "Neat and Tidy Sidewards and Backwards players" Of which we always have about 10 of.

Away from home especially, our transition game of trying to exploit space on the counter is completely predicated on his eye and ability to execute the pass. We really need backup for him for that reason. At home it's a bit of a different story.

It's because we only ever have one midfielder who actually thinks about playing it forward despite playing deep at any one time at the club. Rest of them are always "Neat and Tidy Sidewards and Backwards players" Of which we always have about 10 of.

Nah, Hayden made a ton of forward passes / runs in the last home game.