Pre-Season 2018/19: Newcastle United 0 - 1 FC Augsburg (FT)

ponsaelius

Waiting on my train there so thought I would share my thoughts on tonight overall.

All in all, despite the low quality opposition, it was an enjoyable evening. We were certainly deserving of the 4-0 scoreline.

As I said previously in an earlier post, we showed good tempo and intensity in the first half with Shelvey the stand out player - he was the one making things happen. Atsu disappointed me overall but I guess he'll be glad to get some ounce of fitness/game time in there. Ritchie was a threat in the first half too and wasn't afraid to get stuck in there which was a good thing to see considering he's coming back from an operation and as ever, he linked up with Yedlin well down the right. Lejeune impressed me once again, his read of the game was great (and that one piece of skill where he brought the ball down and played it out of danger/our half and forward was a sight to behold!).

Of course, the second half was when all the goals came, Murphy took both his goals very well, especially his second and while he only had one/two occasions to run at the full back, he's looking promising. Gayle's goal was a bit of a mess in terms of Bradford's "defending" of it. Mitrovic's goal came as a result of a good chase by Aarons to what looked like a loose ball and Mitro was left with a simple tap in. Aarons had a very good performance, he was very threatening in the second half and looked so much better tonight compared to the Preston game. De Jong showed some very good touches and clever play to help us keep possession and build up to an attack on goal.

Saivet playing at CB was amusing but he was ok considering the opposition.

You can argue that we weren't particularly tested tonight and imo that's definitely true but we have to remember this was a friendly against low quality opposition. Whilst it was by no means strenuous, it was another good run out and tonight's performance will give the players a boost - just by having that run out, I'm certain the players felt good. Quite a few positives to take from this.

Onwards to the next game. Hopefully we'll continue to look in decent nick by the time the season starts.

Just got in.

Bradford were absolutely woeful, offered nothing going forward.

First half was pretty boring, Shelvey and Ritchie were at the heart of our best attacks but didn't create too much aside from a good chance for Gayle skewed wide and a goal he punched in.

Second half was better. Murphy obviously stood out and Aarons looked good down the left. Didn't reckon much up to De Jong.

Aside from the obvious I was really impressed with Lejuene, doesn't look the quickest but really comfortable on the ball and played a cracking long raking pass to Gayle first half to get him through.

Murphy should have had a hat-trick but unselfishly layed on Mitro who missed a sitter.

Waiting on my train there so thought I would share my thoughts on tonight overall.

All in all, despite the low quality opposition, it was an enjoyable evening. We were certainly deserving of the 4-0 scoreline.

As I said previously in an earlier post, we showed good tempo and intensity in the first half with Shelvey the stand out player - he was the one making things happen. Atsu disappointed me overall but I guess he'll be glad to get some ounce of fitness/game time in there. Ritchie was a threat in the first half too and wasn't afraid to get stuck in there which was a good thing to see considering he's coming back from an operation and as ever, he linked up with Yedlin well down the right. Lejeune impressed me once again, his read of the game was great (and that one piece of skill where he brought the ball down and played it out of danger/our half and forward was a sight to behold!).

Of course, the second half was when all the goals came, Murphy took both his goals very well, especially his second and while he only had one/two occasions to run at the full back, he's looking promising. Gayle's goal was a bit of a mess in terms of Bradford's "defending" of it. Mitrovic's goal came as a result of a good chase by Aarons to what looked like a loose ball and Mitro was left with a simple tap in. Aarons had a very good performance, he was very threatening in the second half and looked so much better tonight compared to the Preston game. De Jong showed some very good touches and clever play to help us keep possession and build up to an attack on goal.

Saivet playing at CB was amusing but he was ok considering the opposition.

You can argue that we weren't particularly tested tonight and imo that's definitely true but we have to remember this was a friendly against low quality opposition. Whilst it was by no means strenuous, it was another good run out and tonight's performance will give the players a boost - just by having that run out, I'm certain the players felt good. Quite a few positives to take from this.

Onwards to the next game. Hopefully we'll continue to look in decent nick by the time the season starts.

Atsu was shit, first half when he tried cutting back on to his left with the goal at his mercy was disgraceful :lol:

Just got back from match. Aarons and Hayden clearly best players on the pitch for me. Their no 2 really couldn't live with Rolando. Clattered him out of sheer frustration at one point and Aarons looked like he'd lost it for a second/was concerned he was going to nut him!. Lejeune looked alright though not up against much. Murphy was dying to chuck in a trick or two and I loved his first goal; very composed. Perez whilst playing some tidy stuff still managed to drive me mad. Received the ball as our most advanced player, on two occasions, 30-40 yards of open space between him and the goal and he trys a low probability pass to someone, basically in a worse position. So wish he had a bit more drive/aggression. Didn't notice Manquillo much (on other side of pitch with not much to do). Mitro looked slow and should have done better with a cracking cross from Aarons; who also made his goal by getting to a ball,which he had no right to, and nicking it off the defenders toe. De Jong was alright but surprisingly scuffed the ball on a few occasions. Gayle, Shelvey and Ritchie good quality in first half, without being outstanding (for them). Gayle's goal went in off his shins as he was going down for a pen! Good game, great sized following. Rafa looked happy at the end and seemed to appreciate being serenaded as he walked back from coming to applaud the fans.

http://i2.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article13391580.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/LAP_NEC_260717nufc_28JPG.jpg

That stand (Midland Road) is supposed to hold 8000, yet 2,400 quoted as attendance?? Might  that have been tickets bought from NUFC? Streams of people paying on the turnstile.