Tammy Abraham joins Swansea

Figures 1-0 Football

I think the striker position is the number 1 priority this summer. Not necessarily our weakest position, but the position that makes the biggest difference to struggling teams. You can be crap and get away with it to an extent if you have a quality striker nicking points you don't deserve - just look at the Pardew years, or the mackems with Defoe until this season.

With that in mind, I hope we are not putting all our striker eggs in the Abraham basket. I'll admit I'm going off dodgy highlight reels here, but he seems a penalty box predator not too unlike Gayle. The Premier League doesn't present nearly as many gilt-edged chances as the ones I'm seeing from his goals. Rafa knows far more than I do, but I wonder how far down Rafa's list he is, or whether the decision has been made to get bargains where we can to free up funds elsewhere for what is gonna be a major overhaul. We have to take whatever bargains we can get and this lad on loan might just be one. 23 goals in a crap team is bloody impressive. He is worth a punt but is he worth betting all our chips on in terms of strengthening our front line? The Premier League is a major step up.

Personally reckon a quality #10 should be the top target. Perez to me just doesn't look cut out for that role and I can only imagine how much of a donkey Diame will look like at a higher level.

I think the striker position is the number 1 priority this summer. Not necessarily our weakest position, but the position that makes the biggest difference to struggling teams. You can be crap and get away with it to an extent if you have a quality striker nicking points you don't deserve - just look at the Pardew years, or the mackems with Defoe until this season.

With that in mind, I hope we are not putting all our striker eggs in the Abraham basket. I'll admit I'm going off dodgy highlight reels here, but he seems a penalty box predator not too unlike Gayle. The Premier League doesn't present nearly as many gilt-edged chances as the ones I'm seeing from his goals. Rafa knows far more than I do, but I wonder how far down Rafa's list he is, or whether the decision has been made to get bargains where we can to free up funds elsewhere for what is gonna be a major overhaul. We have to take whatever bargains we can get and this lad on loan might just be one. 23 goals in a crap team is bloody impressive. He is worth a punt but is he worth betting all our chips on in terms of strengthening our front line? The Premier League is a major step up.

His hold up play looks pretty decent to me, and it could be one of the main reasons aside from predatory instincts and pace that he's being chased by Rafa.

Personally reckon a quality #10 should be the top target. Perez to me just doesn't look cut out for that role and I can only imagine how much of a donkey Diame will look like at a higher level.

this is what i've said, get a striker to challenge gayle on loan if we can't get our target for up front but splash the cash on a 10 at least

will be a very important position in the PL for us

How realistic is that really though? Aren't we limited to a squad of 25? How many of those spots are we going to use on strikers when we're probably never going to start more than one of them in any given game?

It'll be Gayle, one new big signing (or loan if it's Abraham or someone like him) and one of Murphy/Mitro. Perez can play up top in an emergency too.

If we sell both Mitro and Murphy we'll probably get someone else in, but they'll likely be pretty cheap.

I'd be surprised if we don't buy at least one proven striker, even if it's someone who's coming to the end of his career so maybe available where a younger one wouldn't be. Abraham is exciting but he's like all of our strikers at the moment, unproven at the top level. Rafa just doesn't strike me as the type who would want to go into a season hoping they'll come off.

Guest Howaythetoon

I do hope the club will not try and address our striker issues with loans or cheap options as we need quality up front and someone who will guarantee goals because that is what will keep us up first and foremost.

Regarding the Chelsea player, I'm usually dead set against these type of loan deals, but I'm up for anything that can help fast track us back as a PL force.

If the player does well and then goes back to his parent club that can cause problems as we will then have to replace said player, but the flip side to that is we will be in a better position to do just that hopefully.

I haven't seen anything of Abraham, but if he's that highly rated and we can get him on loan, lets do it and see how it goes. We should not guarantee him a start though, if that is Chelsea's demands we should tell them to piss off.

Abraham was not far behind Gayle in terms of performances and playing for a much inferior team.

Probably worth mentioning they scored the same number of league goals despite Gayle not having pens and playing 1300 fewer minutes.

I do hope we sign him as our backup but if you're expecting him to be a more physical upgrade on Gayle as our main striker you'll be disappointed. In time he'll be an absolute fucking beast of player, mind.

Does this mean Pogba is going to St Ettiene?

Why does he need to Kiss And Make Up? You're In A Bad Way if you think he will Join Our Club; People Get Real! Metaphorically why would Pogba take the Street Streets when he can zoom down the Avenue; Like A Motorway. It's not like He's On The Phone right now, which--Hug My Soul--Is A Good Thing!  :cheesy:

(In case you think I've lost my mind:

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28466/saint%20etienne/)

Abraham was not far behind Gayle in terms of performances and playing for a much inferior team.

Probably worth mentioning they scored the same number of league goals despite Gayle not having pens and playing 1300 fewer minutes.

I do hope we sign him as our backup but if you're expecting him to be a more physical upgrade on Gayle as our main striker you'll be disappointed. In time he'll be an absolute fucking beast of player, mind.

Abraham only had 2 pens out of his total like. Great record for a shite team.

I do hope we sign him as our backup but if you're expecting him to be a more physical upgrade on Gayle as our main striker you'll be disappointed. In time he'll be an absolute f***ing beast of player, mind.

Gayle also did well in the chances he got in the Prem, especially under Pulis, and there is a big "what if" around what would have happened had the next two Palace managers not been Holloway and Pardew.

I do hope we sign him as our backup but if you're expecting him to be a more physical upgrade on Gayle as our main striker you'll be disappointed. In time he'll be an absolute f***ing beast of player, mind.

Abraham only had 2 pens out of his total like. Great record for a s**** team.

Gayle also scored one of his directly from a missed penalty that he took (Huddersfield at home).

Not sure how many players in a relegation battle for the majority of a season score as many as Abraham did.

Looks like we've got him.

Newcastle United are close to completing the loan signing of Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham after they were reassured on Monday that the England Under- 21 international wants to make the move to the North East.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/05/chelsea-prospect-tammy-abraham-set-sign-newcastle-united/

Some good news on a bad day.

Looks like we've got him.

Newcastle United are close to completing the loan signing of Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham after they were reassured on Monday that the England Under- 21 international wants to make the move to the North East.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/05/chelsea-prospect-tammy-abraham-set-sign-newcastle-united/

Some good news on a bad day.

Chambers mentioned on loan in that article.

Quote from Chelsea.

Chelsea are keen for one of their most exciting prospects to spend at least one season at St James’ Park as they want to expose him to the pressure and expectation that will come at such a big club.

Quote from Chelsea.

Chelsea are keen for one of their most exciting prospects to spend at least one season at St James’ Park as they want to expose him to the pressure and expectation that will come at such a big club.

Where from?

[edit: found it, as above,  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/05/chelsea-prospect-tammy-abraham-set-sign-newcastle-united/]