Kenedy

Scottish Mag

It was a horrific performance where every aspect of the basics failed on his part (touch, control, awareness, passing, dribbling, tricks, all failed repeatedly with no attempt to adjust), but you'd hope he'll learn that he can't always turn up and dribble/trick every team easily. Needs to mix it up, play a basic game sometimes and keep teams guessing as to when he's going to try something.

To be honest, and this is the pessimistic side of me, it was the type of performance that does make me a little worried. This is NUFC and given our bad luck being pessimistic is often the more reliable stance. Without Kenedy last season we'd probably have been down near the bottom 3, as the only other consistent source of creativity/"making things happen" was a Shelvey ball over the top, which is rendered a bit moot with the standard our striking options and can be easy to defend against if it's the only gameplan. Due to not bringing Townsend in we've sort of put all our eggs in one basket for this season with Kenedy in terms of having a bit of pace + quality + unpredictability/drive on the ball - Ritchie is non-existent in this regard (did literally nothing good against Cardiff too), and Atsu/Murphy aren't good enough at this level.

The worry therefore is that this was the kind of performance that could really dent a players belief and self-confidence. We've seen players go downhill rapidly due to losing confidence or self-belief (Viana, Tomasson and Cisse spring to mind), and the truth is Kenedy is not truly established at PL level (could just have been a purple patch for all we know) so we don't know how stable that confidence is over the long term should he hit poor form. Can he bounce back? Not all players do. It would be just our luck to see a permanent dip in form with Kenedy so we're back to being a very one dimensional team where the only bit of consistent quality on the ball is Shelvey.

Hopefully this is all bollocks though.

Should have been off. But ref gave a free kick so was never going to be retrospective action.

There was a foul before he kicked out though. Could have been viewed as two separate instances. Surprised this hasn’t been punished!

I know this type of thing happens a lot, but it's the first time I've actually seen it favour us.

Normally you'll find a passing seagull which interfered with the referee's eyesight, so even though Mitrovic was booked, it gets upgraded to a four match ban. With an extra match for the hassle of having to look at it.

I can't remember the last time we had any luck like this either. Seems like we've been shafted by the review system for as long as I can remember.

I’m guessing the Chelsea game wouldn’t have counted? Otherwise teams could start looking at the fixture list, almost encourage a player late in the game to take one for the team if needed and not really have much of a punishment.

I’m guessing the Chelsea game wouldn’t have counted? Otherwise teams could start looking at the fixture list, almost encourage a player late in the game to take one for the team if needed and not really have much of a punishment.

That Twomey who reported it confirmed it would have still counted despite him not being able to play.

Should have been off. But ref gave a free kick so was never going to be retrospective action.

There was a foul before he kicked out though. Could have been viewed as two separate instances. Surprised this hasn’t been punished!

ref was no more than 4/5 yards away no way he didn't see it. Probably looked after and realised he got it wrong but there was nothing else to give a free kick for.

Guest firetotheworks

Nice to see us benefit from one of the Premier League's ridiculous decisions for once. It would be nice if they could just stop making ridiculous decisions though, the whole thing's a joke.

For the most part its true. We get like 1 penalty a season. (Which we then miss. Or the referee overturns it and gives them a freekick when it's scored.)

No one's been sent off against us at this level for over 4 years.

Damn right I'm going to turn a blind eye if for once we get a small slither our way, considering the shite we usually deal with.

Guest firetotheworks

EVERYONE HATES NEWCASTLE AND THE REFS NEVER GIVE US ANY FREEKICKS OR PENALTIES AND ALL OUR PLAYERS GET BANNED!!!!

(every match thread ever)

Us not having a player sent off against us since 2013 is still outrageous mind, there have been loads of blatant red cards.

EVERYONE HATES NEWCASTLE AND THE REFS NEVER GIVE US ANY FREEKICKS OR PENALTIES AND ALL OUR PLAYERS GET BANNED!!!!

Us not having a player sent off against us since 2013 is still outrageous mind, there have been loads of blatant red cards.

Arter and Hayden is a perfect example. Both were probably red cards, the one against us is a yellow.

Arter and Hayden is a perfect example. Both were probably red cards, the one against us is a yellow.

Yeah and when you look the complete picture?

Kenedy - should have been off, wasnt

Arter - should have been off, wasnt

Hayden - should have been off, was

Bad decisions but isnt that quite evenly shit?

Yeah and when you look the complete picture?

Kenedy - should have been off, wasnt

Arter - should have been off, wasnt

Hayden - should have been off, was

Bad decisions but isnt that quite evenly shit?

Agree with your sentiment on the matchday WOE IS US vibe... still disagree with your Hayden judgement...

Pretty sure the FA used to say they can't give retrospective bans if a ref saw it because of FIFA rules, then FIFA confirmed that wasn't true. Now the FA just doesn't do it for no reason at all. Such a bizarre rule that helps no one.