Kenedy

Scottish Mag

Kenedy - violent conduct, kicking/lashing out at a player out of frustration. Has to be a red card if the ref sees it.

Hayden - questionable red card, most likely a referee evening things out after missing the Kenedy kick, but possibly justifiable because of the way Hayden lunged in studs up and connected with the back of the calf. Wasn't intentional but somewhat dangerous.

Arter - cynical foul but never more than a yellow card. The manner in which he swings the leg round being more of a standard kick than a Lui Kang lunge like Hayden's was.

Kenedy - violent conduct, kicking/lashing out at a player out of frustration. Has to be a red card if the ref sees it.

Hayden - questionable red card, most likely a referee evening things out after missing the Kenedy kick, but possibly justifiable because of the way Hayden lunged in studs up and connected with the back of the calf. Wasn't intentional but somewhat dangerous.

Arter - cynical foul but never more than a yellow card. The manner in which he swings the leg round being more of a standard kick than a Lui Kang lunge like Hayden's was.

Sky pundits reckoned Artur's was worse that Kenedy's like, though I don't recall the reason stated now.

source Chronic

The red cards Newcastle United have received since the last time a Premier League player was dismissed against them:

Shola Ameobi AND Paul Dummett - May 11, 2014 (Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle United)

Mike Williamson - August 23, 2014 (Aston Villa 0-0 Newcastle United)

Moussa Sissoko - November 29, 2014 (West Ham United 1-0 Newcastle United)

Steven Taylor - December 6, 2014 (Newcastle United 2-1 Chelsea)

Fabricio Coloccini - March 15, 2015 (Everton 3-0 Newcastle United)

Moussa Sissoko - April 13, 2015 (Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle United)

Mike Williamson AND Daryl Janmaat - May 2, 2015 (Leicester City 3-0 Newcastle United)

Daryl Janmaat – August 15, 2015 (Swansea City 2-0 Newcastle United)

Aleksandar Mitrovic – August 29, 2015 (Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal)

Fabricio Coloccini – October 25, 2015 (Sunderland 3-0 Newcastle United)

Jamaal Lascelles - February 3, 2016 (Everton 3-0 Newcastle United)

Aleksandar Mitrovic - May 15, 2016 (Newcastle United 5-1 Tottenham Hotspur)

Jonjo Shelvey - August 13, 2017 (Newcastle United 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur)

Jonjo Shelvey - December 13, 2017 (Newcastle United 0-1 Everton)

Isaac Hayden - August 18, 2018 (Cardiff City 0-0 Newcastle United)

Mentioned this in the match thread but I don't think it was a red card at all tbh. If he intended to kick the player, then yeah, it should be a red card, but as far as I could tell he didn't intend that. He was kicking in the air in frustration and happened to hit an opposition player. Basing this assumption on his surprise when he hits him and that he's not looking at him before kicking out. Yellow at most for dangerous play.

I hate those types of foul. Ones where they’ve got no intention of playing the ball should be a straight red imo regardless of whether it’s a ‘clever foul to concede’ if it’s stopping a counter for example.

So should pulling someone down from the shoulder to stop a counter be a sending off too?

It's a shit challenge, I just think if it's a red, anyone going in for a challenge that mistimes their kick and ends up connecting with the player will look similar to that challenge.

I hate those types of foul. Ones where they’ve got no intention of playing the ball should be a straight red imo regardless of whether it’s a ‘clever foul to concede’ if it’s stopping a counter for example.

So should pulling someone down from the shoulder to stop a counter be a sending off too?

It never will be but for me, 100%.

It never will be but for me, 100%.

I agree.  It’s so frustrating and spoils the spectacle of the game.

Agreed, those should be red cards. Intentionally stopping counter-attacks when not even trying to go for the ball.

The issue with Arter's - with the rules as they are - is that he's kicked him shin/knee high - no attempt made for the ball - from behind. That's dangerous and a red even by today's rules.

Based on the rules, I can understand pulling back from the shoulders just being yellow. But sliding from behind and kneecapping someone to stop a counter is too far. If facing head on a player running at you, you can't just kick their shins/knee to stop them and not get a red. From behind is even worse but most refs let it slide.